Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Information release

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by irongamer View Post
    This would be great. Being able to sort the information would be key as well. Like being able to list only video or articles and then have them sort by date or even source site (ign, massively, etc).

I'd be interested in building this but I don't have the time right now due to summer school. If anyone wants to jump on this idea or if Ayonyx wants to expand on his tracker I'd be willing lend a hand when I can.

I'd be up for searching for data, data entry, creating data sets, or some programming.
    Isn't that just like what I did for Telarapedia? I even have semantic extensions installed... Anyone can edit it for example and you don't even have to register.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I have been to your site where do you think I got the email address to send you the link for game dev jobs?
    Oh... uh.... hmmm... ok let me take my foot out of my mouth here a second.

Nobody saw that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    Isn't that just like what I did for Telarapedia? I even have semantic extensions installed... Anyone can edit it for example and you don't even have to register.
    Sort of... I admit, I am jaded after working in web development for a number of years. Half my job was cleaning up a clients data so we could actually use it in a meaningful way.

Wikis are great, as they allow anyone to contribute. But wikis are horrible at keeping data to a standard and keeping data sane, the feature guide has the same problem. I like data in a relational database with records. This allows an almost unlimited (if setup right) number of ways to query the data because it is in a standard format and structure.

It is just the idealist side of me, wanting data in a format that can be easily search, sorted, related, and exported in various structured formats. Heck, I even have a side project that pulls all the mecha data (with permission for the source sites, many of them wikis) from everything from Gundam to Battletech. This data is then sanitized and entered into a database that is consistent and allows for much better querying and some awesome export options.

Hope that explains it a bit, I am some what of a crazed idealistic data freak.

PS: I have not explored the semantic extensions much, I'll look into those.
    Last edited by irongamer; 08-05-2010 at 10:54 AM.

I think some people may be misunderstanding a little bit. Ancient and I are not against all the work community members have been doing, in fact we're quite appreciative. All we're saying is that if someone wanted to get all of the information that has been released to date, they would need to visit the fansites, podcasts, facebook, twitter, IRC chats, youtube, interviews on various MMO sites...because not everything is available in one place (although the Telarapedia is a good place for new people to start).

But that's kind of the point. When someone learns about RIFT, their next stop would be the official site. And there are some holes in the information there. Granted it's not anything major, but screenshots haven't been updated in a while, I don't see the zone preview videos in the media section, hot topics like beta info should be at least linked in the news section, etc.

I know Trion's pretty busy with the game and all, but somebody's gotta be managing their site, no?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    I think some people may be misunderstanding a little bit. Ancient and I are not against all the work community members have been doing, in fact we're quite appreciative. All we're saying is that if someone wanted to get all of the information that has been released to date, they would need to visit the fansites, podcasts, facebook, twitter, IRC chats, youtube, interviews on various MMO sites...because not everything is available in one place (although the Telarapedia is a good place for new people to start).

But that's kind of the point. When someone learns about RIFT, their next stop would be the official site. And there are some holes in the information there. Granted it's not anything major, but screenshots haven't been updated in a while, I don't see the zone preview videos in the media section, hot topics like beta info should be at least linked in the news section, etc.

I know Trion's pretty busy with the game and all, but somebody's gotta be managing their site, no?
    No one is disagreeing that a central spot for all information would be good. I'm merely not happy with his attitude towards the fans who put forth so much work to get us the information we do have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post

I knew I should have let her post the thread. She is so much more pc than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibanu View Post
    No one is disagreeing that a central spot for all information would be good. I'm merely not happy with his attitude towards the fans who put forth so much work to get us the information we do have.
    The way he worded his original post was off slightly. Don't blame him for it, he's just a redneck.

My second issue is in letting the community *Leaders* determine what information is released to the rest of us. I have a major issue with the Pod casts.
    Speaking as a member of the community:

Completely unnecessary. She isn't handed a bunch of information to go over and decides what pieces she will release to the public and which ones she will keep for her own little private stash. She submits questions to the person she will be talking to. The questions are in turn submitted to someone higher up who redlights and greenlights the questions. If a question is not answered, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's because that question was not cleared for that interview.

The community leaders (fansite operators) don't determine what information is released. The development leaders (Trion Worlds) determine what information is released. The community leaders just present it to you. Jumping on prominent members of the community who want to help that community because of something that they can't control is pretty damn callous. If you want to take up issue with someone about this, you should take it up with Trion and leave the fansites out of it.

I knew I should have let her post the thread. She is so much more pc than I am.
    At the risk of my ever-precious, beta-determining forum reputation, this is probably a good idea. She expressed the point without blindly and ignorantly attacking people who operate fansites, and one person in particular. If you don't like the podcasts then dont listen to the podcasts. Just use some tact when posting or tell Kitty what you want to say so that she can apply tact. I know that I'm not supposed to blame you and I really tried not to, but I feel that a line was crossed with the outset of this thread.

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

I think you are being a little unfair to Ancients. Perhaps he was too blunt; but the people who are doing the podcasts DO act as a filter between the community and whoever they are interviewing simply by choosing which questions to ask and which not to ask. Now, realistically they have to do this or the podcasts would be much too long and cover questions the interviewee cannot answer. They also choose what follow-up questions to ask to the response given.

Nothing above is meant to be a dig at those who do the podcasts, I think they are fun and provide a nice outlet for information. But, I do agree with Ancients that a single, Trion controlled place for information consolidation would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    I think you are being a little unfair to Ancients. Perhaps he was too blunt; but the people who are doing the podcasts DO act as a filter between the community and whoever they are interviewing simply by choosing which questions to ask and which not to ask. Now, realistically they have to do this or the podcasts would be much too long and cover questions the interviewee cannot answer. They also choose what follow-up questions to ask to the response given.

Nothing above is meant to be a dig at those who do the podcasts, I think they are fun and provide a nice outlet for information. But, I do agree with Ancients that a single, Trion controlled place for information consolidation would be better.
    Like has already been mentioned before - the interviewers don't choose the questions they ask and not. They gather up questions, hand them over to Trion who then decides which questions to keep and which to trash.
    Last edited by starspun; 08-05-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Very well put, Kula! I would like to point out again that Ancient emphasized the consolidation aspect, and this concern of his is very justified, imho!
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

No offense, but honestly the people doing the podcast have every right to ask or not ask what they want because in the end, it's their podcast. If Arithion decided she didn't want to ask one single thing that anybody asked her to ask in a podcast, that would be her right to do so. Everybody keeps making it sound like she owes us something, and honestly she does not. We owe her for taking her time to do these podcasts.

If Trion ever started making their own podcasts, then the customers of the game would have a little more say so, but until then everybody should realize that Arithion is doing this of her own time, money, and effort.

I appreciate that she even makes the podcast for us, and I think she does a very good job at putting it together every week. I know how it is trying to do these kinds of things on the side. It's not something that just happens. We all have real jobs outside of this game, and the mere fact that any of the community site owners have the time to put anything up should be applauded. None of us get paid to do the sites we make. We don't have big advertising firms like mmorpg.com or massively.com. We are individuals that have a passion for gaming, and we give up our time, money, and resources to hopefully give a little back to the community.

I would like it to be all consolidated on one site too. It could still be released at other sites first, but then bring it under special forum here as well.

"Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago."
    - Horace Mann (1796 - 1859)

Yea I noticed that just today or yesterday, they finally added the paladin under the warrior tab. And wheres the Darkening Deeps? I actually found out about that by jumping through Rift articles on IGN. And well said Pharone. I too enjoy listening to the podcast.
    Last edited by PsychoticHamster; 08-05-2010 at 12:12 PM.

I think Ancient was being a little unfair to people who are responsible for the fansites and the podcast. I don't disagree with information being a little more organized on Trion's end. H***, it's a good idea and something that I think will be more prominent when the game is no longer pre-beta. However, taking it out on the wrong people was the wrong move in my opinion. I'm aware that Ancient is one of those people who are uncompromisingly blunt. I'm very much the same way and if he chooses to hold that against me then that will have to be his cross to bear.

I just bristled when it turned to the fansite operators being culpable in what Trion does because the first official word on friggin' beta came down through channels other than the forums or the official site. Whether that was how it was intended or not, that's how it looked in the original post. Kitty cleared it up very nicely, but that doesn't mean that the original statement was never made. That's the part that I took issue with. Aside from that, I'm in favor of a central hub on the forums and think it will appear once beta has started.

For those who want an absolutely concrete consolidated information hub on the official forums, why not start compiling this information, verifying it, and posting it up for all to see? Getting it stickied shouldn't be an issue if it's well done. That's just a suggestion, but it may be worth looking into if anyone's feeling particularly ambitious.

And remember: It's just entertainment, folks.

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast