Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 84

Thread: Information release

  1. #16
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarpCode View Post
    Ari puts a lot of hard work into those podcasts. I and many others think she has done nothing but be a positive influence in the community and we appreciate everything she has done. She doesnt decide what information is released. She is just a communication point for the developers to release information. If they were to release that information here like you want, it would be drowned out by trolls like you posting about how much you hate everything. I for one love reading the fansites because they are generally better about filtering you trolls out.
    I disagree with how information is controlled and released and I'm a troll. I don't have a problem with the person I have a problem with the system. No community member should have that much influence on what information is released. I work 16 hours a day, I don't have time to sit and listen to 45 minutes of two women chit chatting. The only place the Rep information and beta invite information is released is in that podcast. It needs to be else where as well.

  2. #17
    Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    I guess I'm going to disagree even though this thread is full of people jumping on the 'bash the fansites' bandwagon.

    Trion does update the official site as well as any other company as far as I can tell, unless I'm missing something? The informaton on their site about classes seems fairly standard to me - now if you want a super level of detail and don't want to edit the community wiki I guess what you're asking is something along the lines of the official Guild Wars wiki, which has every minute detail on every topic (almost). Even then, there is just a ton of information - how is Trion to decide exactly what everyone wants to know?

    What they do instead is release all the base information on their website that I'd have to think like 90% of people are fine with. The average person isn't going to get too fussed about the lore surrounding the paladin for a game that is currently not even in beta testing - so, there is some additional information/clarification i the forums - but I still don't see why that level of detail needs to go on the official site. Where do you draw the line? No matter how much they put up (unless you honestly expect the typical marketing/pr-driven website to cover all manner of minutia), they can't make everyone happy.

    I do take offense personally that you decided to single me out just for asking the community what they'd like to know from Trion whilst I'm at Gamescom. What am I doing wrong by asking? Am I missing something here? I'm taking a lot of time out for no personal gain here, as does Ari for the podcast.

    I think the information on the official website is fine and that people who expect all manner of minutia to be covered there are in the minority, as I stated above. All the important stuff does get added to the website, btw, it just isn't always at the exact same time as the PR-driven information releases.

    A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

  3. #18
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I disagree with how information is controlled and released and I'm a troll. I don't have a problem with the person I have a problem with the system. No community member should have that much influence on what information is released. I work 16 hours a day, I don't have time to sit and listen to 45 minutes of two women chit chatting. The only place the Rep information and beta invite information is released is in that podcast. It needs to be else where as well.
    You also aren't being forced to listen to podcasts. There have been threads over every major issue thus far... nothing will change there.

    Go back in your hole.

    P.S. Get a job that doesn't require 3/4 of your day. :P

  4. #19
    Rift Chaser Slacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Personally i have no problem with the method of information release, be it through fan sites, larger gaming sites, facebook, twitter or whatever. As far as i am concerned the further the info is spread, the more people will see it, the more potential subscribers it generates, and that can only be a good thing for the long term health of a new MMO.

    What I however do have to agree with is that there also needs to be a degree of consolidation, and that there should always be either a news link/post on the "News and Anouncements" board right here in the forums, or via a news feed on the offical site so that everyone gets to see the latest info and it is easy to track back over old releases.

  5. #20
    Shield of Telara Osho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    730

    Default Dev Informations Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    TLDR:

    You have an official website use it for its intended purpose, consolidate the information you have released so people don't have to go searching all over the web for information.

    Control the flow of information don't leave it up to third partys and or fan sites, all this does is create confusion and requires devs to do twice the amount of work having to correct incorrect information.
    I agree with that the web site should have a better up to date informations flow or overview. I guess they are working on that and will upgrade the site in the near future more and more.

    I understand your point about the missinformations, but on the other side we should not worrie about the Dev's who are making some clarifications on the forums. It's good for us because we get even more informations and some exchange with the Dev team.

    Also I like somehow the characteristics of all the current active fan sites... we have some variety, this is a good source for creativity.

    I was thinking the last couple days about a site which offers clearly all new informations from articles, videos, podcasts, interviews, Icq chats, ect.
    It's a little bit different to the Rift Link Page or Telarapedia or our Extended Rift Guide. It more like an extended Dev Informations Tracker site.
    It's more like an archive where you can user friendly oversee the date it was released, source where it comes from and the essence or short summery about the topics and a link to the full information and a good search function.

    So... maybe this is for someone out there an inspiration to create such a site.
    Last edited by Osho; 08-05-2010 at 10:06 AM.

  6. #21
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    I guess I'm going to disagree even though this thread is full of people jumping on the 'bash the fansites' bandwagon.

    Trion does update the official site as well as any other company as far as I can tell, unless I'm missing something? The informaton on their site about classes seems fairly standard to me - now if you want a super level of detail and don't want to edit the community wiki I guess what you're asking is something along the lines of the official Guild Wars wiki, which has every minute detail on every topic (almost). Even then, there is just a ton of information - how is Trion to decide exactly what everyone wants to know?

    What they do instead is release all the base information on their website that I'd have to think like 90% of people are fine with. The average person isn't going to get too fussed about the lore surrounding the paladin for a game that is currently not even in beta testing - so, there is some additional information/clarification i the forums - but I still don't see why that level of detail needs to go on the official site. Where do you draw the line? No matter how much they put up (unless you honestly expect the typical marketing/pr-driven website to cover all manner of minutia), they can't make everyone happy.

    I do take offense personally that you decided to single me out just for asking the community what they'd like to know from Trion whilst I'm at Gamescom. What am I doing wrong by asking? Am I missing something here? I'm taking a lot of time out for no personal gain here, as does Ari for the podcast.

    I think the information on the official website is fine and that people who expect all manner of minutia to be covered there are in the minority, as I stated above. All the important stuff does get added to the website, btw, it just isn't always at the exact same time as the PR-driven information releases.
    I didn't single you out for the upcoming con. I did single out the Podcasts. As I said the only place beta information has been released is in that podcast.

    Kudo's to you for taking the time to consolidate the data released, honestly your's is the only other site I look to for information. I just happen to believe that Trion should take a more active role in consolidating the information released, and not leave it up to third parties.

  7. #22
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kibanu View Post
    You also aren't being forced to listen to podcasts. There have been threads over every major issue thus far... nothing will change there.

    Go back in your hole.

    P.S. Get a job that doesn't require 3/4 of your day. :P
    Yea I will get a job that doesn't require 3/4 of my day and fire those people working for me and who rely on me and the work I give them to feed their families.

    And no I'm not forced to listen to the podcasts. But show me one official release of beta information outside that podcast.

  8. #23
    Plane Touched Pharone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I disagree with how information is controlled and released and I'm a troll. I don't have a problem with the person I have a problem with the system. No community member should have that much influence on what information is released. I work 16 hours a day, I don't have time to sit and listen to 45 minutes of two women chit chatting. The only place the Rep information and beta invite information is released is in that podcast. It needs to be else where as well.
    You don't have to get your information from one source. If for some reason you decide you don't like that particular source of information, then there are plenty of other sources out there for you.

    Me personally, I enjoy the Rift Podcasts very much. I like the way it is put together, and I like the content. If you don't like the podcasts, then choose one of the other available sources of information out there.

    But, there's no reason to be crude about it. Stating that it is "45 minutes of two women chit chatting" is just wrong Ancient. There's no reason to be that way.

    And, just a little note... ahem... You can always go check www.Pharone.com for info as well. I'm just saying.

  9. #24
    Soulwalker Braen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Yea I will get a job that doesn't require 3/4 of my day and fire those people working for me and who rely on me and the work I give them to feed their families.

    And no I'm not forced to listen to the podcasts. But show me one official release of beta information outside that podcast.
    How about the official Rift Newsletter which gave out the new class, Paladins, and beta info, BEFORE the podcast?

  10. #25
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Yea I will get a job that doesn't require 3/4 of my day and fire those people working for me and who rely on me and the work I give them to feed their families.

    And no I'm not forced to listen to the podcasts. But show me one official release of beta information outside that podcast.
    I don't believe it was necessarily their intention to 'officially release' anything as of yet... when they want information from us, or want to share with us directly, they will post on the forum. She even said she would be posting a thread on Mon/Tue. You're just basically *****ing about getting information early.

    Edit: The newsletter that you can subscribe to also has the official information that you need.

  11. #26
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braen View Post
    How about the official Rift Newsletter which gave out the new class, Paladins, and beta info, BEFORE the podcast?
    Well, technically I think he's talking about the information that was covered in today's Podcast. That wasn't in the newsletter. :P

  12. #27
    Plane Walker irongamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osho View Post
    I was thinking the last couple days about a site which offers clearly all new informations from articles, videos, podcasts, interviews, Icq chats, ect.
    It's a little bit different to the Rift Link Page or Telarapedia or our Extended Rift Guide. It more like an extended Dev Informations Tracker site.
    It's more like an archive where you can user friendly oversee the date it was released, source where it comes from and the essence or short summery about the topics and a link to the full information and a good search function.

    So... maybe this is for someone out there an inspiration to create such a site.
    This would be great. Being able to sort the information would be key as well. Like being able to list only video or articles and then have them sort by date or even source site (ign, massively, etc).

    I'd be interested in building this but I don't have the time right now due to summer school. If anyone wants to jump on this idea or if Ayonyx wants to expand on his tracker I'd be willing lend a hand when I can.

    I'd be up for searching for data, data entry, creating data sets, or some programming.

  13. #28
    Soulwalker Braen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kibanu View Post
    Well, technically I think he's talking about the information that was covered in today's Podcast. That wasn't in the newsletter. :P
    He asked for one in general, not a specific one, I believe.

  14. #29
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pharone View Post
    You don't have to get your information from one source. If for some reason you decide you don't like that particular source of information, then there are plenty of other sources out there for you.

    Me personally, I enjoy the Rift Podcasts very much. I like the way it is put together, and I like the content. If you don't like the podcasts, then choose one of the other available sources of information out there.

    But, there's no reason to be crude about it. Stating that it is "45 minutes of two women chit chatting" is just wrong Ancient. There's no reason to be that way.

    And, just a little note... ahem... You can always go check www.Pharone.com for info as well. I'm just saying.
    I have been to your site where do you think I got the email address to send you the link for game dev jobs?

  15. #30
    Rift Disciple starspun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Snoreway
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I disagree with how information is controlled and released and I'm a troll. I don't have a problem with the person I have a problem with the system. No community member should have that much influence on what information is released. I work 16 hours a day, I don't have time to sit and listen to 45 minutes of two women chit chatting. The only place the Rep information and beta invite information is released is in that podcast. It needs to be else where as well.
    The podcast team doesn't have any influence over the information they get through making the podcasts. They're working with Trion on this, and Trion controls the information they get and are able to release through the podcast. No community member controls how the information is released - Trion, and Trion only, does.

    (Also the podcasts don't last as long as 45 minutes - the first one was 40 minutes long, since then they've been between 20 and 30 minutes long. And you can even do other things while listening!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Osho View Post
    I was thinking the last couple days about a site which offers clearly all new informations from articles, videos, podcasts, interviews, Icq chats, ect.
    It's a little bit different to the Rift Link Page or Telarapedia or our Extended Rift Guide. It more like an extended Dev Informations Tracker site.
    It's more like an archive where you can user friendly oversee the date it was released, source where it comes from and the essence or short summery about the topics and a link to the full information and a good search function.
    Honestly I think the current fansites are doing a good enough job of tracking the Rift-related news already. There's no need for yet another site.

    (Also, they're IRC chats, not ICQ chats.)
    Last edited by starspun; 08-05-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts