Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you need an amazing computer to play this?

Red face Do you need an amazing computer to play this?

I'm hearing a lot of people are having performance problems with the game, even those with really good PC's. Are these problems caused by technical issues or does Rift require a very high end PC to play this at a sufficient standard? Also, what kind of specifications will my computer need to play it at a satisfactory level?

I'm asking because the PC I currently have is your typical mid-low end pc and only cost me around £400 ($620) to build it and I'm trying to guess how much I'll need to spend upgrading it or if I need to build a new one all together.

Processor: AMD Athlon II x2 250 3.0Ghz
    RAM: 4MB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

Many Thanks

I have a very similar system and am running the game on ULTRA settings. I do down my settings to HIGH during the world events simply do to the sheer number of particle effects flying around can lag you out terribly.

Prophet of Telara

Here are the system requirement specs:

What are the system requirements for RIFT?
    Minimum System Specification

Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
    Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
    Video: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500 or better.
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

Recommended System Specification

Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
    Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
    Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
    Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

There are issues right now but they are being addressed. That is what beta is for.
    " Why is common sense so damn uncommon?"

Samuel Langhorne Clemens

i have 2 PCs i play the game from, one is pretty outdated , yet it plays fine - i'm expecially pleased with short load times! .... as for graphics settings, lol, honestly i dont see much difference between average and ultra.....

Soulwalker

Hey alms1407, I have the same processor a AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0 Ghz only 2GB of DDR2 a Nvidia Geforce GT240 on window 7 i run ok on High at 25 to 30 Fps but on invasions and when there are a bunch o people fighting it starts to slow down... im going to add another stick 2 GB of DDR2 and change my cpu to a 100 dollar quad core that should solve my problems on the massive amounts of people that slow me down on invasions... i could run it smoothly on low graphics but that looks ugly lol so im going to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by jamez821 View Post
    Hey alms1407, I have the same processor a AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0 Ghz only 2GB of DDR2 a Nvidia Geforce GT240 on window 7 i run ok on High at 25 to 30 Fps but on invasions and when there are a bunch o people fighting it starts to slow down... im going to add another stick 2 GB of DDR2 and change my cpu to a 100 dollar quad core that should solve my problems on the massive amounts of people that slow me down on invasions... i could run it smoothly on low graphics but that looks ugly lol so im going to upgrade
    Op basically from the 4 systems I've tested the game on..if it will run wow it will run rift in the same amount of performance.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

You should be fine with your 9800 and dual 3.0 thats good combo.

Me on the other hand my frame rates in this game have been horrible, i get 6fps-12fps Ultra and 8fps-26fps with everything on low.
    Now, iv never really had this problem before( i play Metro 2033 on almost full settings no problems), but i knew it was coming eventually .

I have a GTX 260 Overclocked and an old AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.2 GHz .

The GTX 260 is awesome still but in these newer mmorpg's, this graphics card is not going to be able to make up for my processor anymore.

So as for minimum/Recommended Specs stated above, dual core 2.0/2.2 id say no, for processor i would at least go with a single core 3.0/ dual core 2.8 or higher.

P.S. yes you saw right, a single core 3.0 Pentium 4 will out preform my dual core 2.2 any day.
    Last edited by Madriv; 12-31-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Soulwalker

Default I'm thrilled with performance

I have a nice desktop I can run it on high settings and can run it on low with a laptop which is really not designed for gaming (3gb ram and shared memory graphics card). It runs smoothely on that even with a crowd. I know that does not sound impressive, but being able to play for a few minutes away from home is nice, and I'm not buying a gaming laptop. Either way though it's smoothe and playable.

The game has great graphics, but can be scaled to meet your system as long as it's the kind you can play any games on. I'm very impressed.

The game has a very wide range of graphics settings to allow many different machines to play it well. It does however offer some very high settings for those with the hardware for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schall View Post
    The game has a very wide range of graphics settings to allow many different machines to play it well. It does however offer some very high settings for those with the hardware for it.
    Yep... it can be quite gorgeous on the right rig .

Here's a screenshot from the beta (since the NDA was lifted) of Mathosia:
    http://www.trizzeo.com/goldentiger/riftmaxed.jpg
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 12-31-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by mootato View Post
    i have 2 PCs i play the game from, one is pretty outdated , yet it plays fine - i'm expecially pleased with short load times! .... as for graphics settings, lol, honestly i dont see much difference between average and ultra.....

I agree, not much difference.

I play on max settings with Dual GTX 460's OCed to 850MHZ.

THe only issue I have is that if Anti-ALiasing is on the game crashes every 5 minutes, but with turned off it runs perfect.

No bid difference between Ultra and Low I think.

Even in Raids though low Graphics work perfect as well. You can see a fair distance and everything even with 200 people near you.

On Ultra with my setupu I was running a smooth 35 FPS and never dropping.

Only I had the ocasional game hiccup but I belive thats related to server lag than my setup.
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 12-31-2010 at 01:48 PM.

My friend has almost the same specs as OP, with 5gb ram and he had 5-10 fps even on lowest settings. Minimum or recommended specs right now don't show jack ****, if you are lucky and the game identifies your rig, you will run it playable and high settings even with a 6 year old setup. If you aren't lucky you can sit on a sloppy performance with a just bought setup, watching how 6 year old rigs have better performance than you do.
    i5 m520 3ghz, 4gb ddr3 ram, HD 5650.

I have a quad core processor, 3gb RAM & Nvidia GTX 460.

I play the game at 1680x1050 with everything at high & shadows turned off.

Doing FAE (the first instance on Guardian side) I run at around 8-13 fps which is extremely disappointing considering I can run Crysis at 60+ fps. Even other MMO's like Warcraft run at 60+ at all times for me regardless of how many players are on screen and where I am located.

In RIFT however if I head into the Guardian town I don't see more than 10-15 fps. In fact, regardless of where I am it seems that as soon as you get into the vicinity of other players the fps drop drastically. This is regardless of my ping also which fluctuates between 60-90ms which is fine. The fps issue is not fine though.

The game needs optimization in a major way. Sure when I am in the open in the middle of nowhere by myself I get around 50-60 fps but as soon as I come in contact with 5+ players my fps go down so much that the game becomes unenjoyable. If by the end of beta there is not an improvement I have decided that I won't be playing. I went through the performance issues of Warhammer keep sieges and Aion sieges and I will not tolerate it again. I would rather stick to single player RPG's like Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Fallout NV, etc. then play an MMO with poor performance.

As I have said many times, beyond the performance the game is excellent. If these issues are addressed I can guarantee I will be purchasing a boxed Collector's Edition. For this to happen though the performance will have to be boosted substantially before they close out beta.

I was playing on a first generation 64 bit processor, Geforece 7800 gt 256m SLI x2, and 2g ram. I played just fine even with out being on low rendering. My only problem was I bought my wife a new gaming lap top and hated looking at my screen then. So my new parts are ordered.

Ascendant

This is mine:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 934MB used, 3400MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 1064 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 297 MB
    Shared Memory: 767 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: SyncMaster P2770H/P2770FH (Digital)

And with Game setting adjustments, I played through even those high numbers Rift events, without lag nor crashes.

I don't know my fps, but I saw immediate activity with fights and casts, np.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast