+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simple way to fix old spam.

Default Simple way to fix old spam.

Don't make 1-9 chat global. I know not everyone can read it but a lot of people can. If spammers couldn't reach so many players at level one they wouldn't be so common.

I think this would be a simple solution, not sure if there's something I'm not realizing.

Edit: Oops, I meant to say gold spam in title.
    Last edited by DeadlySmurf; 04-25-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySmurf View Post
    Don't make 1-9 chat global. I know not everyone can read it but a lot of people can. If spammers couldn't reach so many players at level one they wouldn't be so common.
    Ah, I was this young and naive once....
    "I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone." -- The Doctor, Doctor Who: The Lazarus Experiment

A better idea would be to have a separate channel for the beginner zone. At least then it'd force spammers to have to quest/level to get into Freemarch/Silverwood to join 1-9 and start spamming. It takes about 40 minutes to go from character creation to the starting zones (unless the 'bug' still exists where you can just run straight to the rift portal). Every time a spammer got banned it'd take them ~40 minutes to set up shop again every time. Maybe I'm being naive, but that seems like it'd be a frustrating deterrent to me. At the very least it would add a 40 minute 'cooldown' to repeat offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladea View Post
    A better idea would be to have a separate channel for the beginner zone. At least then it'd force spammers to have to quest/level to get into Freemarch/Silverwood to join 1-9 and start spamming. It takes about 40 minutes to go from character creation to the starting zones (unless the 'bug' still exists where you can just run straight to the rift portal). Every time a spammer got banned it'd take them ~40 minutes to set up shop again every time. Maybe I'm being naive, but that seems like it'd be a frustrating deterrent to me. At the very least it would add a 40 minute 'cooldown' to repeat offenders.
    Heh, lot less than 40 once you get it down.
    "I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone." -- The Doctor, Doctor Who: The Lazarus Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by Tyggs View Post
    Heh, lot less than 40 once you get it down.
    I don't know about that. I never timed it for Guardians, but I've made enough Defiant alts that I started timing how long it took to get through the beginner area and it was about 40 minutes. This was playing solo, doing all the quests, and having little to no competition for quest objectives. I don't know how much you can skip and still make it through the portal into Freemarch.

+ Reply to Thread