+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta the Do's Dont's, and who really should test

DO:

Let enough people in so the server is mildly populated (no1 wants to see ZOMBIE towns and areas in betas)
    Have live support 24/7 in the beta phase

DONT:

Unlock all content in beta. Wouldn't like to experience the whole game in the beta, nothing else to get worked up about in the live.
    Let players reach max level. Keep at least the last 30-50% of the game locked in betas. There are always employees to test that.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Quote Originally Posted by Nadili View Post
    Do

Allow enough time for proper testing. Please make the beta long enough with enough testing the content goes thru the ringer.

Don't

Go live if too many bugs still remain anyone who has tested or been around for a launch knows not everything will get worked out in Beta.

Players

Do

Report or bug everything you see that you think is off even if it seems like a small thing.

Don't

Sometimes devs agree with the base sometimes they don't if you see something you don't like doesn't mean others won't. Wasting unnecessary time on a certain perceived bug keeps devs from more important stuff. I have done quite a few Beta's and seen this in almost all of them someone posting over and over again on the same issue.

Good list.

I've beta tested numerous games and played several after the launch.

The last point you make here is key. Not every player plays the same way or even plays a toon for the same reason as someone else. Options are a key in this regard. That's why the hybrid class tree of souls in RIFT is going to be hugely appealing. The options will be very large so that just about anybody can end up with a custom made toon they really enjoy playing.

In beta testing, I go exploring to look for bugs and abnormalties. Wierdest thing I saw in a beta test was a city of npc buildings where only the doors and windows appeared. It was in an out of the way area of the game world where few even ventured to go during beta. The little inconsistencies are the things I like finding and reporting the most. Abnormalties that can be duplicated. Those little iritants that all taken together can drive players away, like they did in Vanguard. I didn't know about Vanguard until GU2 Patch or there abouts. From what I've read though, it looks like it was a great MMO to beta test.

Game Testing is really tiresome and complex and should be done by professionals.

To be honest most people in here are not professionals and just want to play the game. The sooner the better right ?

So lets not call it beta -lets call it a free and very early access with some bug, network and HW issues involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    ^^

Sorry but saying "I've been here the longest so give me a key" is way off the mark on how beta testers should be chosen.

Please DO

Assign Beta spots to a large range of people that have new and older equipment.

Assign Beta spots to people that are old and new to MMO's.

Please DON'T

Release with bugs .... Conan did that and half the players had shocking experiences.
    Another good post.

It's very important to get a cross section of player types to beta test an MMO during the beta phases. The basic 4 are definitely needed. Explorers, Adventurers, Socializers, and Player Killers (Griefers). These make up the 4 basic types of players that inhabit MMORPGs so the game needs those player types pushing and stretching the game worlds bounds to see what breaks, shakes loose, glitches, bugs out etc.

How well does the game handle on every type of computer system and ISP it is going to state can handle game play.

How user friendly are the basic instructions for new MMO players and veterans alike. How friendly is it getting started in the game hrough to character leveling, etc.

The list of things to look for in beta can be almost endless. just thinking about it has me wanting to get into RIFT beta and start filling out reports. I love beta testing and haven't done it for the four years I've been playing Vanguard. Can't wait to beta test RIFT.

Quote Originally Posted by DSWBeef View Post
    Just because someone has followed Rift since it was HoT doesnt make them a better tester then me.
    Agreed. I have tested many games, new ones and old ones. And just because you've been around more doesnt make you a better beta tester at all. I have tested many and helped A LOT. Yes we all want in the beta but no we all wont get in which sucks. I think they need to go by whos active on the forums and they need to review the forums more to see what people are talking about and if its related to helping the beta. I am hoping I can get into this beta because I love helping make games better and give feedback so the game will be better. Good luck to everyone and may the most qualified get in because lord knows a lot of people who get in shouldn't be in.

-Zepp

Quote Originally Posted by Xris View Post
    Game Testing is really tiresome and complex and should be done by professionals.

To be honest most people in here are not professionals and just want to play the game. The sooner the better right ?

So lets not call it beta -lets call it a free and very early access with some bug, network and HW issues involved.
    I disagree a bit here. I am priveleged to know and play with some MMO players who put "professionals" to shame in several games they have tested or played. One I'm currently friends with has found glitches, bugs, HW issues, and game mechanic issues as well as game format problems in various games after the "professionals" finished their looksie run through. On several occassions in several games he found flaws in how mobs interact with players in PvE servers that allowed him to use the skills, ability, and items in game to solo mobs that game devs swore were not solo-able.

Getting a good cross section of player types in a beta test application will give a much better feel for how the game will respond under regular game conditions. It's not that they'll all have great discoveries to report that will save the game from doom. It is that the devs can observe the game under loads of players that are a good representative of what the actual servers will have after launch.

DO be patient
    DON'T keep starting Beta threads disguised to hide the "pick me, pick me" posts.

Who should really test? The folks Trion decide should test.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    DO be patient
    DON'T keep starting Beta threads disguised to hide the "pick me, pick me" posts.

Any thread which mentions beta has seen that phrase used against them as a counter to make themselves look like the better candidate. =p

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

DO be patient

This reeks of a subtle "pick me, pick me" post...

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Any thread which mentions beta has seen that phrase used against them as a counter to make themselves look like the better candidate. =p
    /shrug, take it how you will. Unfortunately, you aren't always right.

Just make sure beta is long and meaningful. If some core mechanic isn't working well delay the game and don't take the "we'll fix it in patch 1.011." I'm tired of seeing MMO's come out between 6 and 12 months too early. There is next to no margin of error in the WoW-dominated market right now; what there is though is a tremendous opportunity to steal a large amount of players that are "sick of" WoW and other MMO's if you do it right from the start.

Get as many people into Beta as you can from different walks of gaming life. A beta full of people on this forum isn't representative of what your broader player base is going to be like. Similarly having passionate people from this forum is helpful in really kicking the tires on the game.

Best advice is don't release early - I'd rather play a great Rift game in 2012 than a half-baked one in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Airien View Post
    This reeks of a subtle "pick me, pick me" post...
    /smiles ....well hopefully they will say "OK make a list of all posters in this thread and cross them off the beta list" Aww....and I just enticed you two to post! *giggles*.

Bob

I agree with SaltyJim - as long as the testers are willing to find and report the bugs it'll work.

Also, I hope that there will be a good way to report bugs for thoses who gets in to the beta.
    Such as an ingame tool to report the bugs and a forum. Perhaps a special, global channel ingame too, where the testers can ask others if they met the same bug and if theres any fix to it/way to pass it.

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Do:

Allow sufficient time for players to reach max level
    I would hope that achieving max level takes significantly longer than would be reasonable for beta.

What I would like to see would be times of focused beta testing in each tier, where characters can be created at the focus level range. Start at the bottom and work upwards.

/smiles ....well hopefully they will say "OK make a list of all posters in this thread and cross them off the beta list" Aww....and I just enticed you two to post! *giggles*.
    Bah, I've been fidangled...

<writes down Liziana's name in his Little Black Book of Dastardly Repercussionary Deeds>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast