+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Rift's success? Were you tricked into thinking this game was different than WoW?

If you never played WoW then you have no basis to refute my claim do you? I have been playing MMO for over 15 years. In the 15 years since I started playing original UO, no game I have played has cloned another as much as Rift has Cloned WoW. I remember the EQ to WoW transition. I was there. I can assure you that Rift at end game is identical to WoW, from a PVP and PVE perspective with the exception of the PVP being far worse.

I remember when server communities mattered. When you had to do everything you did in your game on your server. When the only people you saw were from your server, for both pvp and pve.

For those of you that are reading my posts for the first time you don't know that I have been suggesting ways to fix PVP in the PVP forums since Beta.

World pvp is sorely needed in this game to keep people involved in the world. I don't want to have to instance the rest of my characters life. I will because that is the path to get gear in this game, but that should not be the goal.

World PVE is also needed, other than simple daily quests. They have this massive "rift technology" but have under-used it.

I want to see massive raid rifts, that will set up in a zone and require multiple raids to take down. That send out constant invasions with their own bosses. With massive raid rift bosses that are up and require co-ordination to take down.

And far more use of the rift technology in the only level 50 zones that we have.
    1. I would love to see a Rift form that starts as a forward post, then grows into a staging area, where a massive rift army begins to form and the longer it's left unchecked it begins to grow more units (think command and conquer or starcraft when you leave your opponent to build up too much) and then those units when they summon a commander begin to then attack with a massive force?
    2. Or what about giving the option to guilds / groups to summon their own Rifts, and then populate it with whatever units they wish to use and then use the units to assault a town, or a main city.

Using rifts to add some RTS to this game would set it apart and imo opinion give bored 50s something to do ON THEIR SERVER.
    3. The option to be able to take over wardstones, i've been pushing that idea since the first time I saw a wardstone.
    4. Taking the rift RTS theory and moving it out to Guardian / Defiant Wardstones, being able to set up them up and use them to build up an army to then use it to attack a guardian town, but a real level appropriate guardian town (they don't even have guardian / defiant towns at level 50)

This game has so much potential, but reaks of being released with too little (they've admitted to several features being released unfinished with the promise of 'getting around to it' when they feel like it, like crafting is a huge one, I am sure pvp has got to be released way too early, and the fact that they had several raids they were working on but only released one)

I'm not saying copying other games is necessarily bad, but when you got tired of playing END GAME WoW (please read that I said end game, the leveling experience in Rift is kinda nice but when you hit END GAME you'll realise this IF YOU PLAYED WOW) and finding out that is all Rift Max Level is, PVP is a horrible copy of WoW, and pve is exactly the same fundamentally, different in implementation but similar enough that to me the difference is only cosmetic.

Default Www.shardcollectors.freeforums.org

1. What has Rift taught you?

That I might not need as many alts to cover all the roles I usually enjoy playing in MMOs at different times!

2. Did you think Rift would be different than WoW?

Not in any extreme way, no. Nor vastly different than EQ or EQ2.

3. What disappointed/impressed you the most about end game?

Some of the environments and dungeon designs impressed me the most so far. On the flipside, I was dissapointed in the lack of some relatively minor UI features which I am accustomed to, as well as lack of guild banks/heraldry/housing (which make guild life and management easier and more enjoyable for me).

How could you believe that RIFT is anything other than a very similar game to WoW? Not that it's a bad thing.

It's different enough to not be a burn-out if you're coming from WoW, but it's still similar enough to not be completely overwhelming, which I like.

I played during the beta and brushed it off as a WoW clone, probably because I didn't want to admit I was burnt out on Warcraft. But I played again during the recent Ally free weekend and I don't know. Something clicked. It was a breath of fresh air.

Shadowlander

Particularly since WoW was just a game that was similar to EQ

There has not been a revolutionary fantasy MMO game since EQ, almost every fantasy MMO has been an extension ( clone if you prefer ) to EQ, including WoW

Quote Originally Posted by TBS098 View Post
    It's different enough to not be a burn-out if you're coming from WoW, but it's still similar enough to not be completely overwhelming, which I like.
    This is not true for me. The end game is exactly what is going to burn me out, nothing to do but grind for gear. The raids are just like WoWs, the Experts are just like Heroics. Warfronts = Battlegrounds, Valor = Resil

Soulwalker

You may not believe this, but the game just started, and it can only change from here!

Telaran

Amen, Soulstitch

I completely could not agree with you more.
    I've come to exactly the same conclusions myself.

This game isn't RIFT - it's QUEST, it's RAID, it's DAILIES - or maybe just simply GRIND.

The same old same old all over again at End Game.
    Totally not using the prime selling point at all - rifts, massive invasions, etc...

What an epic bait and switch.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Regardless of all the advertising to the contrary - in the end we're in Azeroth afterall.
    Last edited by Daozen; 04-20-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Drus View Post
    What exactly do you want at endgame surely in any game there's going to be a stage where you have done everything, you've done all the raid content have you? Found all the puzzles and cairns? Got all the recipes for your trades?...you have?....oh wait the games just over a month old there are atleast three other dragons apart from greenscale not to mention regulus and more world events still to come.
    Sorry but again what more do you want from an mmo?
    That is only the endgame of EQ and more specifically, wow clones.

Games like Asheron's Call had monthly content updates with evolving stories, new dungeons, change of weather, a skill based levelling system with max level years away. Also, AC had a world about 1000x the size of Rift.

Just because you only know one type of mmo, do not get suckered into thinking this is the only way it could be.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post
    Want better end-game? Support this thread.

The biggest difference between Rift and WoW is the quality of the developers.

Look back to the world event that just occured for an example of that -

They took a risk in trying it.
    It was a failure.
    They knew it was a failure.
    They apologized, and are actually compensating their players because it wasn't as fun as they wanted it to be!

If you played WoW, that should blow your mind! Blizz was never that perceptive nor that reactive to their playerbase... and now Blizz's lead developer is Ghostcrawler, and we've seen such great things from him! [/sarcasm]

Rift has much, much more potential than WoW ever will.
    The event was simply more of the gimmick that is the rift/public quest grind. Spawning enemies and having you kill 100s is not an "event." Your standards are simply so low nowadays that ANYTHING seems exciting to you.

1. What has Rift taught me?

Games like people are all different but fundamentally the same. For the most part we all have 2 arms, legs, eyes and hands; it's what we do with them that makes us different. There a 1000 different kinds of tires but essentially they are all circles of rubber. It's the little differences that make us want one thing over another thing. Rift is Rift and Wow is Wow. Let it go with the "they stole this from Wow" because there honestly wasn't anything ground breaking about Wow other than it's popularity. AOL was a piece of garbage but it had 15million + users at one time because of it's popularity not because it made connecting to the internet any faster, better or more reliable.

Do I like Rift? yes...because it is not Wow. I'd rather face changes and hard times in a new MMO then one I played for 6 years. I honestly think some people just have an emotional attachment to the game and it's a little hard for them to let it go. These are games. I wonder how many threads about FPS games have phrase like "You stole your interface from Doom" in them.

It is different there is no thinking needed. I haven't seen Arthas or Thrall since I've logged into this game.

I'm happy with the endgame because I didn't rocket to it within the first 30days. I progressed like a normal ordinary 35 year old with a 9-5 job and a firm grasp of real life v gaming time management. I started doing t1 and t2 after 1.1 and I am having a great time. I'm not bored when I log in. I like the direction of the design in this game. Does it have issues? yes of course it does but you know what so does every other game ever so take off your rose colored glasses.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
    GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5
    8gb Ripjaws DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    2 x Radeon HD 6850 1GB
    2x WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Raid0

Shadowlander

Another point

No game is another game killer.

No one in the industry even thinks on those terms

I have played most ( not all ) MMO's since before there were graphics

I have fond memories of almost every single one, I didnít leave any of them in anger, I left when they were no longer fun for me, which I expect to be true of any game I play.

Rift is not an EQ killer, it isnít a LOTOR killer, it isnít a Tabula Rasa killer ( that one may have been a suicide )

It is a new MMO, one that in interesting enough for me to subscribe to.

I find it odd that some very inexperienced people seem to think that WoW is the end all of MMO's, WoW held my interest for about 1 year... then I moved on. there are other games that have held my interest for much much longer, I have had a subscription to LOTRO for over 3 years now. ( currently the top MMO for me )

Rift is new, and interesting enough for me to subscribe, so far I like what I see, there are things that need tweaking sure... never seen any game that didnít need that.

But this game has potential for me anyway.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Xombies View Post
    1. What has Rift taught me?

Games like people are all different but fundamentally the same. For the most part we all have 2 arms, legs, eyes and hands; it's what we do with them that makes us different. There a 1000 different kinds of tires but essentially they are all circles of rubber. It's the little differences that make us want one thing over another thing. Rift is Rift and Wow is Wow. Let it go with the "they stole this from Wow" because there honestly wasn't anything ground breaking about Wow other than it's popularity. AOL was a piece of garbage but it had 15million + users at one time because of it's popularity not because it made connecting to the internet any faster, better or more reliable.

Do I like Rift? yes...because it is not Wow. I'd rather face changes and hard times in a new MMO then one I played for 6 years. I honestly think some people just have an emotional attachment to the game and it's a little hard for them to let it go. These are games. I wonder how many threads about FPS games have phrase like "You stole your interface from Doom" in them.

It is different there is no thinking needed. I haven't seen Arthas or Thrall since I've logged into this game.

I'm happy with the endgame because I didn't rocket to it within the first 30days. I progressed like a normal ordinary 35 year old with a 9-5 job and a firm grasp of real life v gaming time management. I started doing t1 and t2 after 1.1 and I am having a great time. I'm not bored when I log in. I like the direction of the design in this game. Does it have issues? yes of course it does but you know what so does every other game ever so take off your rose colored glasses.
    If gear progression and dungeon/raids grind are the only thing you seek, then sure Rift is not boring.. for people that want to use the 1-3 hours aday they have for social/casual stuff and going on adventure Rift is not fun.. it boils down to a matter of taste really.

I dislike the wow remedy endgame style, its not fun to rush "you do rush fast to 50 even if you play 1-3 hours aday on avg" the dungeon/raid grind is just not fun.

all in all it boils down to are you having fun ? yes ? no ?

I would however love to hear from you in 2-4 weeks and see if your opinion is the same.

Do I feel 'tricked' by Rift? Hardly. I started testing prior to open beta, so by the time live rolled around, I had a good idea of what I was getting into. Nothing about the game has felt like a betrayal of my expectations.

I knew from the first day that I liked Rift. The detailed artistic style, the environments, the interesting story of religion versus science (people seem to ignore a lot of good writing), the soul system. Most importantly, it's fun to me. That's what counts more than anything.

One nice benefit is the fact that the players I interact with tend to be far more mature (so far) than what playing WoW forced me to deal with. I quit because, by the time you hit raiding, you're forced to listen to the nasally screeching of some teenager who thinks he's the best thing on the planet. Lord, nothing made me hate voice chat quite like WoW.

I'm on an extended founder's subscription and have no plans to cancel. Should generally answer your question. Launch was excellent, balancing is in progress, and I've encountered very few technical problems. Seems like a good foundation to me.
    Last edited by Kuroyama; 04-20-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelledon View Post
    Rift is a Success? This is new news to me.
    Must be nice living with your head buried in the sand.
    "I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone." -- The Doctor, Doctor Who: The Lazarus Experiment

Shadowlander

1. What has Rift taught you?

Nothing. In the sense that I didn't need to be taught anything about being a consumer and a gamer that I haven't already learned from previous experience. What it showed me was that a game can be well polished in concept at release. Can retain an active atmosphere even as a solo player. Rifts and warfronts just fill in the gaps of the general questethon. Where it goes from here is up to Trion.

Having played many games before WoW I don't make my comparisons with that game alone. As a gamer I compare and contrast with my personal preferences, time availability and general atmosphere of a community. I'll leave it up to the mindless console generation of consumers who need to have the latest gadgets and the inevitable flame wars of which is better than which in fits of sheepish fanboism and make up my own damn mind.
    I will say this, WoW seemed to be shipping with stuff, like mass pvp, that I was used to in DAOC and it was really disapointing to get the BG's it did. If it wasn't for the cool people I raided with I would have quit. It put me off pvp for some time too.

On my quiet little shard no one is raiding instances yet and my guild still hasn't quite completed T2 experts. It's challenging but turning out too long for some of us due to time zone differences. I'd like to see more mini game style encounters rather than the usual whack a mole. The amount of trash needs to be reduced as well imo. DDO had the best dungeons I've ever played, although people tended to rush too much because they'd done it before. I'd love to see some form of solo/duo storyline version of the rift instances myself. Without the same rewards ofc ^^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast