+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My expectations vs Your expectations vs longevity

Shadowlander

Default My expectations vs Your expectations vs longevity

I have an expectation when I play an MMO such as Rift that I can come home from a long day at work, have some dinner, maybe catch a 20 minute nap afterwards while I relax with my wife, and then jump on the computer and log in. This usually occurs somewhere around 6/7ish pm.

When I log on I expect to be able to knock out a few daily crafting quests, chat with my guildmates either ingame or on TS/Vent.

I also expect to be able to run at least a few daily dungeons.

My expectation is not being met.

I have better than T1 gear. So do my guildmates. We have been MMOing longer than alot of forum posters have been alive. We are not bad players nor are we dumb/stupid/bad players.

Logging in to an MMO and only being able to run 1 dungeon (speaking T2 here, because theoretically if its all we did, we could run 3 T1s before bed) does not make us happy/feel good/want to keep playing.

We realize that this expecation is not shared by a certain number of other people. This does not make our expecation right/wrong/stupid/brilliant. It is OUR expectation.

Now the reason I post this mainly is to feed the trolls. The second reason I post this is because I got a sneaking suspicion that the MAJORITY of players are in the same boat or something like it timewise.

Blizzard is not dumb. You all whine about omgitssoeasy, and fail to realize that MMOs are a business. And to stay in business, they need us old folks to pay the bills. They know that you high schoolers, and you taco bell employees come and go like the wind, but those of us with wives and kids and mortgages that still love to game do so to have FUN and hang out with friends and accomplish things.

In our minds FUN does not mean killing trash for 1-2-3 hours with 3 or 4 bosses dropping blue loot mixed in.

You want to cry and whine about dead servers yet you want everything to be hard to get and time consuming. Well guess what, Either us old farts get catered to, or the game dies.

Blizzard is on board, and Trion will follow suit. I have already read that bosses are getting easier and trash is losing HPs next patch.

If you want time consuming go play EQ1.

Rift is EXACTLY like WoW and dozens of other games like it in that its the exact same grind. You do stuff to get loot to kill harder stuff to get better loot to kill harder stuff to get better loot to kill harder stuff...it's never ending. They all do the exact same thing.

Whine all you want here. It is really falling on deaf ears. Give us LFD, give us quicker dungeon runs. Its all about accessability and if those of us with limited time to play can't raid anytime soon, we won't bother playing the game.

Flame on...
    http://files-cloud.enjin.com/60018/module_gallery/full/83333.jpg

Not going to flame, but I do disagree with some of what you said.

I'm an old fart too, and quite agreeable to running one dungeon a night. Most of them don't take more than a couple of hours anyway. It might be good to have a bit less trash in some dungeons (hint IT and DD), but other than that I don't really have a problem with the length of the dungeons.

I'd hate to have 1/2 hour dungeon runs that become all about easy loot and less about taking on a challenge with a group of friends. Before you knew it, we'd be on 1 hour raids and everyone would have done everything within the month. Then the people who wanted it to be quick and easy would be bemoaning the fact they had nothing to do.

You keep mentioning WoW and how successful it is, but it's really not doing too well these days, despite catering to the type of people who want maximum reward for minimum effort. That obviously didn't pan out too well for them, did it?

Each to their own, but I really hope they don't dumb things down to the extent you're suggesting.
    I am made of star stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kwahn View Post
    Now the reason I post this mainly is to feed the trolls. The second reason I post this is because I got a sneaking suspicion that the MAJORITY of players are in the same boat or something like it timewise.

Blizzard is not dumb. You all whine about omgitssoeasy, and fail to realize that MMOs are a business. And to stay in business, they need us old folks to pay the bills. They know that you high schoolers, and you taco bell employees come and go like the wind, but those of us with wives and kids and mortgages that still love to game do so to have FUN and hang out with friends and accomplish things.
    You had my interest right up to that point where you went way off topic, used the loathed "B" word and berated how other people want to play or how they live their real lives. Just lost all interest in what started out as a good topic.

Rift Master

I find it interesting how many people just assume that because they want something, a majority of the people also want it with no evidence at all to support their claim.

Ascendant

I guess I see things differently, it doesn't matter to me if I do 1 or a dozen dungeons when I'm online as long as I am having fun. I cannot fathom the thought of spending hours playing a game for entertainment if it doesn't entertain me....except for an instant at the end when a piece of loot drops. I even walk out of movies if they are trash after 10 mins into it.

Imi
    Ascendant

Blizzard is not dumb. You all whine about omgitssoeasy, and fail to realize that MMOs are a business.
    Serious question: If it is set up just the way you like, then why aren't you and your friends playing WoW?

Rift Chaser

Different people have different expectations. Trying to look at it from the company's perspective: they can't determine exactly what our expectations will end up to be, though they can influence them indirectly by what they build and offer to us. An obvious way to guide expectations is to be up front with what they intend to deliver which Trion has done for the most part.

My recommendation is, just go into the game with an open mind of discovering what is there. If you see what you like, cool. If you don't, there might be another more fun game out there to meet your expectations. So far, 99% of posts on these forums are people having expectations set outside of Rift, for better or worse. (Not saying that there isn't reason for this, just making the observation.)

What I don't get is when people believe the game must change to meet their expectations. The game must be what the developers and financial backers decide it will be.

...maybe catch a 20 minute nap afterwards while I relax with my wife...
    This made me lol.

+ Reply to Thread