+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taming skill/ability

Default Taming skill/ability

I'd like to see a taming skill/ability in Rift, pretty sure I saw this somewhere else but I cant remember where exactly im sure somebody will point out a few examples. By taming skill I mean the ability to tame creatures in the game to use them as a mount then you could have rare ones in hard dungeons etc which makes them all that much more rewarding. The benefits this would have over the typical mount system in games would be that the game would be much more of an adventure and you would get into the game world much more. Ofcourse you could still have the ability to buy mounts at a mount seller if you want.

There would be problems with this kind of system ofcourse, obviously the devs wouldnt be able to allow every creature or even alot of creatures tamable as there needs to be animations etc created for each which takes time and resources. In regards to the rare tamables in dungeons you would come accross the problem of people going ninja and stealing the tameable at the end of the dungeon, so there could be like multiple creatures at the end but again the problem is then it wouldnt be rare.

Whilst im on topic id like to disucss the possiblity of mount abilitys such as the ones recently implemented into darkfall. I dont actualy play Darkfall at the moment but I have heard news of them, if you arnt aware of these changes >>Click Here<< . Im not sure what you guys think of these changes but I open to change. I just think that if a system such as this was added alongside the ability to tame pets it would make the game much more unique and exciting. thoughts guys and gals?

Rift Walkers is a English speaking guild from the United Kingdom setup by a group of real life friends, if you would like to apply check out this post by us!

so basicly like Creature handler in SWG preCU?

where you can tame animals and use them as pets to help attack and then soem coudl be made into a mount

Join us in the IRC | The Original Rift Wiki: Telarapedia
    The Rift Pod cast: Rift Pod cast | Rift IRC: Rift IRC

Eh, I dunno. It seems like a lot of work while not adding too much to the game. If they do come up with a fun, rewarding way to tame creatures to ride and utilize in other ways, than I'm down of course but it just seems tough.

Taming could be a skill used by for example creature handlers or rangers, instead of just using them as a mount it would also be nice if you could use them as pets for fluf or maybe even combat for certain specific classes. I can already picture groups of players going out into the world searching for certain creatures because they are rare or look cool as a mount. It would be a fine addition to any game. But i do think that mounts should also be able to come from vendors and quests as you mentioned since a full player driver market for mounts is probably not going to work.

I have no idea about darkfall but to me it looks like they have mounted combat and mounts play a big role into that granting additional abilities or stats. Mounted combat is something that is always talked about in early MMO development but hardly ever developed. Why I dont exactly know but I think we all agree that it would be a kick-*** implementation

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Eh, I dunno. It seems like a lot of work while not adding too much to the game. Taming an animal to ride takes a lot of time and work realistically. I'm ok with them appearing as drops, as weird as that is, or buying from vendors as per usual. But if they do come up with a fun, rewarding way to tame creatures to ride, than I'm down for that.
    Yea thats one of the issues I stated, its a very time consuming thing to put into the game and im pretty sure it wouldnt be on the current feature list of the game. If it isnt on the list I doubt that they would actualy put it in till later after release anyway although I personaly think it would be a good idea and would make the game unique, I just dont want this game to turn out the same as all the rest.

Rift Walkers is a English speaking guild from the United Kingdom setup by a group of real life friends, if you would like to apply check out this post by us!

*harps back yet again to UO* yep taming mounts that can also be used in combat...great! Also I remember some players round the bank with a virtual herd of horses they had tamed, selling them cheap to newbies.

I'd love to have a herd of wolves follow me around in-game :P or even better PUPPIES! Seriously tho picture a creature handling class with say slots of 5 creatures max beeing able to send them in to attack. They'd be powerfull but with the downside that if they die, they really die and you need to tame a new one. Or if creatures would have progression make them less powerfull and forget about the death idea since it isnt such a great idea since you would constantly be training new pets and then losing them.

Selling mounts to new players or giving them away at popular spots would be a great sight in a MMO also, especially if the horses or whatever mounts are actually around the player and there. Something that isnt seen in MMO's much.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I'd love to have a herd of wolves follow me around in-game :P or even better PUPPIES! Seriously tho picture a creature handling class with say slots of 5 creatures max beeing able to send them in to attack.
    Yeah, I'd love that too... in a Pokemon MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I'd love to have a herd of wolves follow me around in-game :P or even better PUPPIES! Seriously tho picture a creature handling class with say slots of 5 creatures max beeing able to send them in to attack. They'd be powerfull but with the downside that if they die, they really die and you need to tame a new one. Or if creatures would have progression make them less powerfull and forget about the death idea since it isnt such a great idea since you would constantly be training new pets and then losing them.

Selling mounts to new players or giving them away at popular spots would be a great sight in a MMO also, especially if the horses or whatever mounts are actually around the player and there. Something that isnt seen in MMO's much.

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    The pets in UO could die and you'd have to tame another, which was kinda heartbreaking if it was your Nightmare or Drake that died, as taming those was a deathful experience

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Yeah, I'd love that too... in a Pokemon MMO.
    Hihi I should So have seen that coming! Puppies I choose you! ...

The pets in UO could die and you'd have to tame another, which was kinda heartbreaking if it was your Nightmare or Drake that died, as taming those was a deathful experience
    Sadly I never played ultima online, when it launched I was still to young for a MMO and when I did get into MMO's it was around the time Anarchy online got launched. It does sound like something where you wouldn't risk your pet in every situation

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Sadly I never played ultima online, when it launched I was still to young for a MMO and when I did get into MMO's it was around the time Anarchy online got launched. It does sound like something where you wouldn't risk your pet in every situation
    Yea I was the same, talked to people about UO all the time and listened to things they were saying about it, sounds great for its time although I to didnt get a chance to play it. Its still ticking I think though. Anarchy online was new around my time I think, I tried it briefly but i cant recall it very well...
    Interesting feedback on this topic from people, I like the idea of packs of wolves or such pretty interesting comcept. A pack of wolves would be like a fast attacking and perhaps interupting pet whereas if you had a big brute such as a drake as discussed it would be a hard hitter instead so different types of pets for different purposes although this isnt a new concept at all really.

if they have a class that allows you to train pets and sell them as mounts thats what I'll be

Join us in the IRC | The Original Rift Wiki: Telarapedia
    The Rift Pod cast: Rift Pod cast | Rift IRC: Rift IRC

Quote Originally Posted by Oabe View Post
    so basicly like Creature handler in SWG preCU?

where you can tame animals and use them as pets to help attack and then soem coudl be made into a mount
    CH in SWG was one of my favorite classes/characters to play in any game. I agree, adding a way to tame or train certain animals would be a cool feature. Maybe it could be a class specific skill by rangers and mages.
    The way Vanguard and EQ would have rare mount bridles/saddles drop from epic fights or ultra rares was good. Vanguard also included a faction coin exchange where you could turn in 150 coins acquired while adventuring
    for example, for a new faction specific mount.

If it was a straight taming skill, maybe say a fighter would have a 100% failure chance to tame mount A (an ultra rare) , 75% to tame mount B, and 50% to tame mount C.
    A ranger/mage might have 75% failure to tame mount A (an ultra rare), 50% to tame mount B, and 25% to tame mount C. I don't know how often you could retry to tame
    certain creatures. Maybe once a week on the ultra rares or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oabe View Post
    if they have a class that allows you to train pets and sell them as mounts thats what I'll be
    Thats what I was thinking orignaly, I posted in another thread earlier about the importance of good crafting skills and trade interactions with other players to develop a better community (also how auction houses are killing this aspect).

A game that I have seen the kind of system where people sell pets that they trained up is Silkroad online which is a ruined game now due to botters and gold sellers etc. Silkroad was also a unique game, the combat system was intersting and it had as you can guess from the name a "Silkroad" where goods were traded on between towns by players with caravans (camels, horses etc). The merchants could be attacked by thiefs on their way between towns who would then steal there goods to sell for their own profit, I cant remember their name but there was also people who helped protect them from thiefs.
    Last edited by crainey; 04-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast