+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: River of Souls World Event Wrapup

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default River of Souls World Event Wrapup

When we set out to get this unveil event in front of you, it was all about some serious ambitions.

Great new types of content to unveil a brand new raid zone. Events that really push the edge of what's possible not just in Rift, but in any MMO of its kind. All within an incredibly rapid amount of time following launch.

In this case, while we did get to "what's possible" we didn't get to "solid gameplay for the entire game universe." The later phases of the event were too concentrated and time-compressed, which caused issues on a number of worlds.

Ambition is important -- It's what keeps us improving day to day, week to week, month to month. But, it's equally important to know when you walked too close to the edge and got cut.

Between our previous experience with zone events and now with world events, we have a much better idea of the range we can create "fun" for at a mass scale in the future, and the steps we need to take to continue progressing the more solid gameplay experiences that only happen in RIFT.

As I had posted earlier, our next world events will already be taking everything we learned, as well as all of your comments about the event, into account. Please do keep them coming -- I guarantee we're here reading them all, weekend or not.

As developers, none of us are happy when anyone who chooses to spend their valuable time in our game feels like they got the short end of our aspirations.

To that end, even if something goes great for some, when it doesn't go great for all, we're going to go out of our way to make it up in some way wherever we can.

We're going to assume that if you are an active subscriber you were intending to participate in the final stages.

1) Operating on that assumption, later this week everyone will be receiving an in-game mail with the River of Souls Event Reward Pack containing:

Symbol of Purity This item starts a quest you can complete to obtain
    • 250 Otherworldly Sourcestone
    • 1x - Purified Treasure Cache Contains a random chance of obtaining one of the special world drop event rewards from the day of the event
      • Common Grave Goods Bag -Unique 20 Slot Bag (NEW ITEM)
      • Uncommon - Shroud of Anti-Life Lorn non combat Polymorph
      • Rare Nimble Spectral Horse 90% Speed Mount
      • Ultra Rare Swift Spectral Warhorse 110% Speed Mount
    • Shadetouched Weapon Cache The starter item for the Rare Death weapon quests. You can choose whichever level appropriate one you'd like.
    • The following two Achievements, since not everyone who was (or wanted to be) present was able to obtain them.
      • Grim Hero
      • Grim Protector

2) The achievement for kneeling to Alsbeth will remain available in her incarnation inside the River of Souls.

3) Additionally, we're also going to continue the Otherworldly Sourcestone drops for the next few days, for those who haven't yet finished off their collections and would care to.

4) And since the question has come up quite a few times -- the ability to complete the quests from the Shadetouched Weapon Cache will continue, such that you're always able to finish them.

We do thank you for your patience with us during this first ever World Event. We know that patience isn't infinite. We do respect that fact greatly, and you have our word that we're listening and reacting smartly for the next round.

- Scott

Soulwalker

Happy to hear from you guys and taking our feedback into consideration
    Last edited by Onedaful; 04-16-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartsman View Post
    When we set out to get this unveil event in front of you, it was all about some serious ambitions.

Great new types of content to unveil a brand new raid zone. Events that really push the edge of what's possible not just in Rift, but in any MMO of its kind. All within an incredibly rapid amount of time following launch.

In this case, while we did get to "what's possible" we didn't get to "solid gameplay for the entire game universe." The later phases of the event were too concentrated and time-compressed, which caused issues on a number of worlds.

Ambition is important -- It's what keeps us improving day to day, week to week, month to month. But, it's equally important to know when you walked too close to the edge and got cut.

Between our previous experience with zone events and now with world events, we have a much better idea of the range we can create "fun" for at a mass scale in the future, and the steps we need to take to continue progressing the more solid gameplay experiences that only happen in RIFT.

As I had posted earlier, our next world events will already be taking everything we learned, as well as all of your comments about the event, into account. Please do keep them coming -- I guarantee we're here reading them all, weekend or not.

As developers, none of us are happy when anyone who chooses to spend their valuable time in our game feels like they got the short end of our aspirations.

To that end, even if something goes great for some, when it doesn't go great for all, we're going to go out of our way to make it up in some way wherever we can.

We're going to assume that if you are an active subscriber you were intending to participate in the final stages.

1) Operating on that assumption, later this week everyone will be receiving an in-game mail with the River of Souls Event Reward Pack containing:

• 1x - Purified Treasure Cache Contains a random chance of obtaining one of the special world drop event rewards from the day of the event
    • Shadetouched Weapon Cache The starter item for the Rare Death weapon quests. You can choose whichever level appropriate one you'd like.
    • The following two Achievements, since not everyone who was (or wanted to be) present was able to obtain them.
      • Grim Hero
      • Grim Protector

2) The achievement for kneeling to Alsbeth will remain available in her incarnation inside the River of Souls.

3) Additionally, we're also going to continue the Otherworldly Sourcestone drops for the next few days, for those who haven't yet finished off their collections and would care to.

4) And since the question has come up quite a few times -- the ability to complete the quests from the Shadetouched Weapon Cache will continue, such that you're always able to finish them.

We do thank you for your patience with us during this first ever World Event. We know that patience isn't infinite. We do respect that fact greatly, and you have our word that we're listening and reacting smartly for the next round.

- Scott
    Frackin AWESOME Scott - THANK YOU
    ||There is no patch for human stupidity||

Rift Disciple

Is there going to be a statement made about the state of the shards, regarding population and merges? They played a huge role in our ability to take part in this event.

Also, this event wasn't a matter of "while many people enjoyed it, some people were disappointed and had high aspirations." That's a little rosey.
    Last edited by Vocode; 04-16-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Soulwalker

Nice, that means I can find that last scepter.

That's good news for a lot of people I'm sure. Thanks.

Soulwalker

Awesome. It's great to see a developer that actually cares.

Soulwalker

With regards to the weapon cache. If we complete it using the cache we got today, will we be able to complete it again? My guild and I went to Shimmersand (trying to spread out as advised) and we received a level 43 weapon cache quest. I was planning to complete this just to do it, but if I can choose a level 50 weapon, I would obviously choose that.

So, will the cache we receive in the mail be a separate quest ID than any of the previous caches / repeatable basically?

Telaran

I think this is great.. I had a lot of fun during phase 2 of the event.. Phase 3 was beyond my lvl, would've been nice if i could've participated in that but like you guys said you are still learning when it comes to events.. All and all we cant fault you on you're first event and even if it wasn't all you guys wanted it to be Rift itself is still a very solid and fun game.

THANKYOU Scott / TRION !!!!!!!!

Very impressive customer care!!!!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Hartsman View Post

• Grim Hero
      • Grim Protector

- Scott
    With the EULA you can do what you guys want and not have to give us anything. Even though i still feel cheated and my money taken advantage of i atleast appreciate you guys admitting your mistakes and trying to make amends somewhat. So that still puts you guys leagues ahead of the others. Altough i rather have a spectral mount for my time.

Soulwalker

having just posted some comments about the events shortfall, I'd be remiss if I didn't say thanks for trying, and its great to see you reading the comments. I'm looking forward to the next event, I'm sure it will be as great as Phase 1 was, and all the way through.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiem View Post
    With regards to the weapon cache. If we complete it using the cache we got today, will we be able to complete it again? My guild and I went to Shimmersand (trying to spread out as advised) and we received a level 43 weapon cache quest. I was planning to complete this just to do it, but if I can choose a level 50 weapon, I would obviously choose that.

So, will the cache we receive in the mail be a separate quest ID than any of the previous caches / repeatable basically?
    I would like to know the answer to this too.. I sort of got shafted on a lv 23 weapon cache when im lvl 36 and just left scarwood 1min before that event ended.. I killed all the bosses in scarwood but since i entered scarletgorge for like 1min i got a lv 23 weapon cache instead >.>

Quite generous.

The devs have been quick learners so far, so looking forward...

Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast