+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: River of Souls World Event Wrapup

Telaran

And you guys realise by making phase 1 last weeks and phase 2 and 3 last seconds you very well screwed a good bit of people. Nothing nice and rosey about it, atleast you are making amends somewhat.

Awesome, thanks Scott. Thank you for answering the questions at the end regarding the Source Stones and the Weapon Cache!

Shadowlander

Thank you very much!

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vocode View Post
    Also, this event wasn't a matter of "while many people enjoyed it, some people were disappointed and had high aspirations." That's a little rosey.
    Did you just make that quote up?

This game has alot of potential. Glad to see the Devs are listening to the community. Trial and error ftw.

General of Telara

While I appreciate the "reparations of a sort" I'm seriously wondering how some of you, including you Scott, thought this was actually a good idea to make it an only 2 hour event on a specific time on a specific day of an MMO, furthermore to have it on the same day as a Free to Play weekend when both players would be taking up server slots.

Soulwalker

Thank You.

(just wished the 3rd event was longer... was over before i could get to it)
    Last edited by Alabaxter; 04-16-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Perfection by successive approximation...

Telaran

Man, this is a really decent solution.
    It seems solid, and the team seems sorry that things didn't work out.
    I don't see how anyone could really still be upset with this.

And right when I was having so much fun trolling the post-event threads too..

Thank you for the event, and the stuff.

My only issue with the event is that I didn't really know where to go for information. I never even really understood what phase 3 was. The main page link on River of Souls just took you to a lore story. In the future, I'd like to see a single post (in the updates section maybe?) that clearly outlines what the event is and what we are supposed to do, especially for lower levels, who could be very new to the mmo world.

As for the bugginess, stuff happens, we live and learn.
    Last edited by Selenity; 04-16-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Shadowlander

|It's responses like these that make me thankful I prepaid two 6-month founders pricing when I pre-ordered.

I see it is going to be a great investment.

Shadowlander

Leaving the restarts, crashes, queues, and event shortness aside, here's something we haven't really put their nose in yet, which is just how AWFUL THE EVENT ITSELF WAS! So here's my first hand experience, as I was lucky enough to dodge the last-second everyone back in the queue event.

"STAGE 2"
    The event consisted of them taking existing dungeon boss models, upping their health and damage, changing their color scheme, size and adding the word "Dark" to their name. They then spawned the three or four bosses at random points in each zone where they sat until our zerg of 200+ level 50s killed them with utterly no issues: an average of 33 second for each one! People aside from the tank weren't even taking damage nearly the entire time. The bosses had no new abilities. In fact, they weren't even firing off their old abilities either!

And thank god they weren't AoEing or attacking offtank, because every aspect of the game was lagged to the point that even casting one ability was tedious. Each spell we cast took 2 to 6 seconds after it completed to actually go out. The zerg of each boss was literally just like 200 people all attacking the same practice dummy. Only it was worse due to the extreme network lag, FPS lag, and server lag.

There were so many people that the game was only showing you people who were within about 15 meters of your character, and the people who were in your raid. It wasn't that my machine or graphics couldn't handle more, it was that the server itself didn't have the bandwidth to tell people more info.

In one fight, I couldn't see the mobs who were 20 meters away from me because of that. My girlfriend and I looked at all the graphics settings and found no way to at least get mobs beyond the "curtain" to show up.

Ok, besides the lack of any real effort in setting up the "encounters" with this existing bosses, it was broken in another very serious way. I was lucky enough to be present for the downing of the bosses in Stillmore over perhaps 10 minutes... TEN MINUTES LOL. We then went to SS but the last boss there was finished by another meaningless zerg just as we got to it :/ We then ported all over but it was the same story, 5 minutes later it was all over...

"STAGE 3"
    Our zerg of what must have been 300 to 700 players goes to Caer Mathos in Stillmore because a server message tells us she'll be there. We get there and there's a portal, but she's not there. It's surreal up on the platform due to the way its only rendering characters within 15 meters of you. Wherever you move, 30 or 40 players you couldn't see before start appearing while the ones you were just next to disappear. I get close to the portal to be sure i can see Alsbeth when... if... she appears.

After a good 15 minutes of nothing, the hero's of the two factions show up, then Alsbeth does. We all think we're about to get to kill Alsbeth, or at least fight something, but after 30 seconds and a few lines of dialog between the NPCs, she just turns and walks into the portal (which it turns out is the new portal into the River of Souls dungeon). We're all astounded; we didn't get to fight at all. We're wondering, was that how it was supposed to be? Did it just bug out?

Soulwalker

Sounds good, hopefully I dont get the 20 slot bag as i already have enough of those.

Champion of Telara Leggomyeggolas's Avatar

As someone who's been very critical of you/trion I must say this is awesome. Props to you! Thank you.

Now, about those server transfers...

Soulwalker

Thank you for having ambition and for learning from your mistakes and for owning up to them. Also thanks for your communication and finally the compensation you're giving to everyone who tried to experience today's events.

On the whole, you guys are on the right track. Kudos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast