Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Porticulum locations

Soulwalker

Default Porticulum locations

I'm worried that porticulums (hereafter "portals" for brevity and clarity) are too few and are spaced too far. It is rather a pain to ride for such a long time between outposts that should have some manner of fast travel between them, particularly with the mob spawn rate being so high.

Ride five feet... jumped by a mob... kill him... another mob spawned... kill him... another mob spawned... kill him... first guy already respawned...

I'd prefer to just portal from one outpost to another so I can get my quests turned in, vendor my gray trash, refine the ore and such. It's not much fun to have to dedicate 30 minutes to riding just from one outpost to another.

Consider that Cata added a metric ton of flight points, so it's nowhere near the *** pain to get around that it once was. I'd like to see rift do the same with portals; if an outpost is big enough to have class trainers and such, it should have a portal.

Rift Disciple

Level up a bit, get a better mount, problem gone. Where's the fun in having a large, free-roam-ish game world and then add fast travel to every quest hub? Yes you're asked to travel a lot but I for one enjoyed that a lot. While riding my mount I looked for artifacts and crafting materials or just enjoyed the view.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DooieAap View Post
    Level up a bit, get a better mount, problem gone. Where's the fun in having a large, free-roam-ish game world and then add fast travel to every quest hub? Yes you're asked to travel a lot but I for one enjoyed that a lot. While riding my mount I looked for artifacts and crafting materials or just enjoyed the view.
    Therein lies the problem, I think. No fun trying to level if you're constantly swarmed by trash mobs every other step and thus can't get to quest hubs. Rift doesn't feel like an open world, it feels like it's swarmed with 3872 trash mobs per square meter (that's M/m^2 for the mathematically inclined, ha), multiplied by loooooong rides through mob country equals too much wading through random mobs instead of actually playing the story via quests.

It doesn't matter what mobs they are or how nice the view behind them, after a solid half hour of wading through them trying to get to town (in the newbie zone of granite falls, no less) I was just too bored to continue play. Slogging through garbage to get to the good stuff is more work than fun.

Telaran

...and while we're at it eliminate all the world connecting the lands, we don't need it, just need to program the quest locations near the portals, which we will give to the players without having to move from sanctum, everything else is complementary, right?

oh wait, why did everyone leave the game after we did that?

Might as well download a korean grindfest and you'll be happy
    Last edited by Leirogreco; 04-12-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Actually there are not problems with too many mobs if you don't ride through them. By level 17 I had opened all portals with my alt and that was much easier than I though. Did that to be able to continue with crafting quests. Traveling is fun.

Rift Disciple

Stick to the roads while travelling and you'll be pretty safe if you watch where you go. Still can't say I feel you've got a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugis View Post
    I'm worried that porticulums (hereafter "portals" for brevity and clarity) are too few and are spaced too far. It is rather a pain to ride for such a long time between outposts that should have some manner of fast travel between them, particularly with the mob spawn rate being so high.

Ride five feet... jumped by a mob... kill him... another mob spawned... kill him... another mob spawned... kill him... first guy already respawned...

I'd prefer to just portal from one outpost to another so I can get my quests turned in, vendor my gray trash, refine the ore and such. It's not much fun to have to dedicate 30 minutes to riding just from one outpost to another.

Consider that Cata added a metric ton of flight points, so it's nowhere near the *** pain to get around that it once was. I'd like to see rift do the same with portals; if an outpost is big enough to have class trainers and such, it should have a portal.
    You are a hero in an rpg, you aren't afraid of fighting your way from A to B. The fact there are any portals at all really is a blessing. Too much swift travel and porting ruins the game world in my opinion. You will always have your hourly return to a portal and can accidentally fall off a cliff to swift travel to the nearest grave yard or even let those mobs have your *** if swift travel is higher rated than heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Soulwalker

Yeah honestly, its not like Telara is *that* big and the portals just make it seem that much smaller. Stick to the roads and unless there's an invasion you're not going to get jumped by too much stuff either.

I actually somewhat enjoyed the way EQ1 was setup that only 2 classes could port places and getting from A to B as another class was a monumental effort fraught with danger. Getting a port was a real blessing then.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by DooieAap View Post
    Stick to the roads while travelling and you'll be pretty safe if you watch where you go. Still can't say I feel you've got a point.
    Except that in Stonefield, where the OP currently is, one of the main roads is simply overrun by enough stuff to choke a dinosaur. I noticed this recently, leveling an alt.

I think if they cleared the roads, somewhat, not completely, it would be a better argument.

Telaran

Quit riding through mobs? I dunno, seems like a simple concept to me and I have never had any issues from it.

Plane Touched

Id be for adding a few to a couple zones.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnkiljoy View Post
    Quit riding through mobs? I dunno, seems like a simple concept to me and I have never had any issues from it.
    I agree with this.
    Looking for a mature, casual guild focused on having fun?
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

Quote Originally Posted by nagennif View Post
    Except that in Stonefield, where the OP currently is, one of the main roads is simply overrun by enough stuff to choke a dinosaur. I noticed this recently, leveling an alt.

I think if they cleared the roads, somewhat, not completely, it would be a better argument.
    Wait until he reaches the zone after stone field and needs to find his way to FC

But at this time I feel no need for extra portals either, however what I like is a minimap indicator of your controlled camps, you get indications of enemy controlled camps but not your own.

What I would perhaps see possible is a way to travel from one wardstone through another by an ascended power, this would cost you a 1 planar charge if you stay inside the same zone, and 1 extra per zone you cross. This would also give a better response time to get to bosses of zone events. As it is now in the low level zones you don't get there before that swarm of level 50s kill it.

This one is weird for me.

I do find myself screaming and cursing at my computer when I get dismounted and stunned by mobs while on my way to invasions and what not. On the other hand though I quite enjoy the limited travel locations. The auto pilot is nice sometimes (filling coffee) but I do feel I am leveling a bit slower because of the limits. I am enjoying that, it is forcing me to see more and experience things instead of just grinding up to 50.

Coming from WOW and LOTRO, it is definitely a change of pace. Especially from WOW, where every 10 feet is a flight point.

So basically what I am saying is, I could go either way on this issue. If they had more travel locations I don't think I would complain and say "it is to easy to get around" and if it stays the same as it is now I won't mind it either.
    Last edited by kansor; 04-12-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Just add one at the Runeguard place, and we'll be fine.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast