+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harvesting/Gathering

Default Harvesting/Gathering

I'm not sure if there is an existing discussion on this, but here we go.

The only point I wanted to bring up is how much I liked group harvesting in VG. It was awesome when you would find that super rare tree, guard it and wait for a few of your guildies to show up and you all hit it at the same time to get a bunch of rare wood.

Did anyone else like this feature?

Also, feel free to bring up other harvesting methods or cool features from other games.

Shadowbane had some rare resource nodes that only grew in the lands of certain races. So guilds would set up their cities near them and try to monopolize the resources. This inevitably lead to some epic and amazingly fun open world and Guild vs Guild PvP as people were fighting over the resources.

Shadowlander

Rare resources in either mob infested areas or PvP areas would be cool.

I did like the harvesting system in SWG, but overall I liked Vanguard's better.

The only thing I didn't like was the limit of only two skills.

Since my MMO experience is limited to LOTRO, WoW and Aion ... I guess my response to this will be fairly simplistic compared to what others will say. I just enjoy exploring the world and finding the nodes or the animals or the plants that I need to assist me with my chosen profession(s). I can't really say much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tusk_skank View Post
    Rare resources in either mob infested areas or PvP areas would be cool.
    I wouldn't say that it would be cool in PvP because then you would have 1/3 of your group looking for instead of helping.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Seems like a fun concept. Can said rare materials be used to craft just-as-rare items? If I'm going to invest in searching and defending something that is maybe only found in 2 locations in the entire game world, the "Risk for Reward" better be there.

This would also foster a very deep sense of community within a guild as you journey around with your friends and fight off hordes of only-The Vigil-knows-what just so you can create your Rare Staff of Rarity.

Another interesting idea to play around with that would go hand in hand with this would be the development of player run mercenary/guard services.

Quote Originally Posted by Brolael View Post
    Seems like a fun concept. Can said rare materials be used to craft just-as-rare items? If I'm going to invest in searching and defending something that is maybe only found in 2 locations in the entire game world, the "Risk for Reward" better be there.

This would also foster a very deep sense of community within a guild as you journey around with your friends and fight off hordes of only-The Vigil-knows-what just so you can create your Rare Staff of Rarity.

Another interesting idea to play around with that would go hand in hand with this would be the development of player run mercenary/guard services.
    Yes, rare materials are used in crafting.

Originally, you could easily identify the rare/ultra-rare harvesting nodes for everything except skinning. Then they changed it so you couldn't tell until you started harvesting. If you found a rare, you could stop within the first 40% and call friends to help.

Group harvesting for guild hall materials was a lot of fun and helped build friendships.

I kind of liked Asheron's Call 1's crafting system, in that resources were obtained not by harvesting plants or ores, but by breaking down looted items off mobs. It actually made fighting mobs and getting loot off them more purposeful because loot had more uses other than just selling it for cash. Although the loot drops were random, you knew that certain mob types would drop certain item types and you'd farm these creatures for the chance of obtaining certain resource types. I hope the loot that one finds in Rift: PoT is multi-purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by IrateAdmin View Post

The only point I wanted to bring up is how much I liked group harvesting in VG. It was awesome when you would find that super rare tree, guard it and wait for a few of your guildies to show up and you all hit it at the same time to get a bunch of rare wood.

Also, feel free to bring up other harvesting methods or cool features from other games.
    I never played VG, but I hope you are not suggesting that harvesting and crafting should require groups or guilds to acquire ingredients. Soloers should have equal access to all ingredients as well. Those needed for the best items would of course be harder to earn, dropping from more difficult mobs or harvested in more dangerous areas etc.

You will alienate a lot of players if you make the mistake that SOE made when they added a higher tier of crafted items in classic EQ with the Planes of Power expansion, where ingredients were only available in raid zones. No soloer or small group player is going to be happy pursuing crafting to make only the lower 85% of possible items.

I would find it useful to have the rare node types spawn near or around the mouths of open Rifts. So player would have to balance closing the Rift with Gathering a rare resource.

I would hope that the spawns would not be at all predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorev View Post
    I never played VG, but I hope you are not suggesting that harvesting and crafting should require groups or guilds to acquire ingredients. Soloers should have equal access to all ingredients as well. Those needed for the best items would of course be harder to earn, dropping from more difficult mobs or harvested in more dangerous areas etc.

You will alienate a lot of players if you make the mistake that SOE made when they added a higher tier of crafted items in classic EQ with the Planes of Power expansion, where ingredients were only available in raid zones. No soloer or small group player is going to be happy pursuing crafting to make only the lower 85% of possible items.
    Now while I will try not to go off on a rant about people wanting to solo in an MMO, I can see the point where atleast most resources need to be available to everyone. However if I was king of development my gathering/harvest system would look something like this....

1. Resources can be find in all different areas high level, low level, inside, outside all depending on the type it is. I like the idea that you gotta go to a mountain area to find metal, and to get mushrooms you gotta find somewhere wet and dark.

2. If you are solo at harvesting something you get 1-2 pieces, if you get a friend to help you each get 2-3 pieces. This would work if you are grouped or if you are not, I always hated the competition and stealing of resources in most games, I want to see cooperation being rewarded, let everyone benefit from working together rather than kill each other over the node.

3. Rares have a certain chance of spawning out of any node, but you get a higher chance the more people you bring. With a limit of course.... no Zerg harvesting!

4. I would love to see the early VG system of actual "skill" involved in the harvesting, rather than just one click and you are done. I realize that means it will be harder to harvest in areas with wandering NPCs, but hey.... danger is what makes it fun yes?

Quote Originally Posted by IrateAdmin View Post

Ditto.

Vanguard harvesting was very well thought out and made interesting in that harvesters could make a good living just harvesting nodes of each type. Well, that is until VG devs decided to flood the market with easy to get resources from using Shandrels busted items and the deconstruction kits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast