Closed Thread

Thread: Need vs Greed

Soulwalker

Default Need vs Greed

Its a sad state of affairs that when in a public group, I feel obligated to roll need on something that shouldn't be needed. Anyone know if there are any plans to force people to only roll need when its a BOP weapon/armor/trinket?

How do you guys feel about need vs greed? I think its a necessary function of the UI but I would love for it to be added as a tutorial tip for new players. I had a dungeon running-mate who rolled Need on something on accident, which sent our tank into hysterics and dissolved the group. I felt bad that I had to explain to him how need and greed and asking "Mind if I need" works.
    No you can't has cheezeburger, you fatty!

Ascendant

I think Need Vs. Greed sucks. I always have. It only works if people are honest. The second you get into a random group, you're taking a chance. It's why I almost always only play with friends or guildies.

Shield of Telara

A positive change WoW has made over the years is that you can only role need if the item is meant for your class. If you are a cleric and leather drops, need is grayed out. This would be something I hope they have time to implement for Rift.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by daftnate View Post
    Its a sad state of affairs that when in a public group, I feel obligated to roll need on something that shouldn't be needed. Anyone know if there are any plans to force people to only roll need when its a BOP weapon/armor/trinket?

How do you guys feel about need vs greed? I think its a necessary function of the UI but I would love for it to be added as a tutorial tip for new players. I had a dungeon running-mate who rolled Need on something on accident, which sent our tank into hysterics and dissolved the group. I felt bad that I had to explain to him how need and greed and asking "Mind if I need" works.
    Take every virtual thing you can get your hands on to compensate for not having all you want out of life.
    Do nothing with other players in mind, tax them like the government and remind them that the virtual universe doesn't provide fruits to their labors either -- just like the real deal eh?

The one that dies with the most virtual toys wins the game.

Rift Chaser

I've never had many issues with it personally. I did way back when I was playing vanilla WoW but haven't so far in Rift. Only issue was once when a person didn't need on something they needed because they thought people should greed if they wanted it and pass otherwise... go figure.

Strikes me the rule is simple:

Need = better than what you have and you will equip it now (or maybe after adding a rune to it) and it is for the role you are currently filling in the group unless you are the only one of that calling. Yes asking before hitting need is often a really good idea if there is any possibility for disputing your claim to the item. (I'm often the only cleric so if it's chain or Wis heavy it's mine if I need it) Further, Int > Wis mages get first dibs. Wis > Int clerics get first dibs. Str > Dex Warriors. Dex > Str rogues. Simple stuff really.

Greed = Money

Pass = ...... I don't know, cause you don't want the money either?

People who don't follow the above rule make my ignore list and I move on. Not worth getting pissy over some pixels. Besides all the really important stuff you should be doing with your guild/friends and not pugging. There's also plaques to fill in the blanks as needed. I would be annoyed if they did anything other than graying out "need" on non class items because when people are honest and follow the rule need/greed is one of the best loot systems by far.
    Last edited by Unspecified; 04-08-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    My hybrid just kicked your ***, how sad are you?

Imi
    Ascendant

At a minimum, they should not allow players to roll "Need" on items that are specifically restricted to other callings.

Did we build a player rule on rolling on health / mana pots? As a warrior, health pots are always great to have, but never really payed attention to what everyone else rolls.

I've never been too terribly obsessed with loot drops. In PUGs, you get what you pay for...some folks are honest, some aren't, and I tend not to PUG often, and when I do I don't get worked up over something I didn't get the roll for.

As a basic rule, if they're for a specific calling, I'll either Pass or Greed (expecting that folks who really want it will Need it.) Generic items like potions, or those little "party favor" stones that drop in rifts I'll roll Need on (heck, who doesn't need some random bit of flotsam now and then, amiright?) In any event, I seldom pay attention to who wins what until after the dealing's done, to coin an old phrase.

Life's too short to get an ulcer over non-tangible stuff.

Proudly hitching dreams to stars for over forty years!

Quote Originally Posted by delirious View Post
    A positive change WoW has made over the years is that you can only role need if the item is meant for your class. If you are a cleric and leather drops, need is grayed out. This would be something I hope they have time to implement for Rift.
    Indeed, I would like to see the Armor/Cloth/Chain/Plate/Leather, Broken down, as being greyed out for whatever Primary you are IE Warrior/Cleric/Mage/Rogue. Several times I had Mages rolling NEED on Plate in a group and me being a Plate Spec.

I guess after generations of new players poping into MMO's, may not know the difference of Need over Greed. The way I am use to is NEED if it is an upgrade of your Primary gear, and GREED, if it is not an upgrade of your primary gear. Hell I could be wrong, and if I am please tell me, because I always greeded on stuff that I do not care if I win the roll or not.
    Warrior:Pala/Reav/ 6-Champ    Mage:Ele/Pyro/Chlo off spec Chlo/Arch

Some people are greedy plain and simple. There is nothing you can do about it but suck it up and move on especially in public groups/pugs etc. Shouting at them will make no difference, they knew what they were doing and still did it.

Me, I tend to pass on stuff I can't use and this tends to surprise people at times but it saves me bag space for stuff that is more use to me. So it might mean I miss out on a bit of extra gold but its not like money is hard to get in this game and there is plenty of other green/blue trash to pick up just from general questing.

At the end of the day I am not going to get worked up over a bunch of pixels in a made up world, just not worth it.

I'd say the key here is communication. If you're in a group with people you don't know, or at least don't run with often, then get the need/greed rules straight before the first need/greed roll takes place.

The one thing that's become clear to me, both in-game and threads like this on the forums, is everyone has their own interpretation of how it works (or should work), and you can't just assume that everyone uses the same interpretation you do (with drama ensuing at the first need/greed because everyone does make that assumption).

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Biowraith View Post
    I'd say the key here is communication. If you're in a group with people you don't know, or at least don't run with often, then get the need/greed rules straight before the first need/greed roll takes place.

The one thing that's become clear to me, both in-game and threads like this on the forums, is everyone has their own interpretation of how it works (or should work), and you can't just assume that everyone uses the same interpretation you do (with drama ensuing at the first need/greed because everyone does make that assumption).
    Doesn't work with things like Rifts though. People just don't talk. Believe me I've tried.

Ascendant

My main concern in rifts is the purestones that fall that you can open. I tend to roll greed on them. I mean you can't know you need them, because you don't know what they contain. But I'll sit and watch and if someone else rolls need, then I will too. I just don't want to have to.

Those, at least, should be taken off the need greed and just randomly assigned to players, since no one knows what you'll get when you open one.

Closed Thread