Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Defend your game!

Quote Originally Posted by punt View Post
    So I've been playing this game a few weeks now and I'm finding it to be an obvious clone as we knew it would be. My question for everyone is if you're going to pay a monthly fee then why not go for the one with more support and a more balanced pve/pvp system? I've not raided yet but am close to it and have heard there wasn't much challenge in comparison. I know the game is new but I think you guys will find yourself in the same situation in the end. Not flaming just genuinely curious as to what aspects people are enjoying more or at all just in general.
    Because the game you are talking about is OLD, it's boring and all my friends quit because it's turned into a fancy game lobby that you can fly around in. The only people remaining are children and the original fan base has been totally abandoned in favor of comic book style linear progression.

The community in Rift is terrific, almost the exact opposite of that other game's community which is just trash. The rifts themselves give me endless hours of fun, and I don't even do many dungeons. It's a different kind of game, one where you can just go around killing stuff with other people in large 40 man groups and having fun. You can also grind, but that's not how I play it.

I'll put the question back to you. Why would you play a 6 year old game that has gone stale and whose subscription numbers are plummeting over a game that's new and fresh? I don't think you know what the word 'clone' means. A clone is an exact replica of something else.

No trolling here, you asked and there's your answer. Nice first post.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
    The series summed up in a single tweet: "Damaged people crash on damaged island. People fix each other, then island. All consumed in bright light. Yay! (or Boo!)"

I could have, today, decided to not renew my sub and go back to a game that's had years more dev hours and balancing but I got tired of EQ a long time ago. No matter how long it's been worked on, sometimes you just need to move on. Even if the next place you land is strangely familiar.
    What about the Polar Bear, exLupo? What. About. The. Polar. Bear?
    That's exactly what a hacker would say...

Quote Originally Posted by joen00b View Post
    What about the Polar Bear, exLupo? What. About. The. Polar. Bear?
    Twitter is only so strong.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

So I've been playing this game a few weeks now and I'm finding it to be an obvious clone as we knew it would be.
    So I've been reading your post for a few minutes now and I'm finding it to be an obvious troll as we knew it would be.
    Cogito Ergo Femina Sum

Quote Originally Posted by TheHangman View Post
    There is no need to 'defend' Rift.

You either have fun plating or you don't. There is nothing to 'defend' in that.
    This. Really, why do people feel the need to beat down a game and those who play it just because they've decided they don't like it? If you don't like it, go play what you do like. It's not that complicated.
    "I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone." -- The Doctor, Doctor Who: The Lazarus Experiment

Shield of Telara

And to be honest towards the OP. WoW fell to the way side like many other games before it because it is a bloated mess that is crushing itself under it's own weight and options. The same thing happened to EQ. It has become just so big and cumbersome. There will be diehard fans that never leave it, heck, even EQ1 is still going strong with 100,000+ playerbase and it has 17 expansions. SEVENTEEN!!!

But, WoW is not dead because Rift is in existence, just like EQ is not dead because WoW exists. Relax, two different flavors of the same product, Mountain Dew is not Faygo Orange, but, they are both 'sodas'.
    That's exactly what a hacker would say...

Shadowlander

Which game is "My" Game? Which one do you want me to defend?

Rift.. which I'm enjoying?
    WoW.. which I enjoy?
    EQ2, LotRO, DDO, Champions Online, STO.. which I enjoy?
    Super Meat Boy, Dragon Age 2, Black Ops? Need I go on?

Oh.. wait.. you're a horrid little troll who's mommy won't let him buy more than one game at a time, so you feel the need to deride any game that doesn't fit your idea of fun rather than enjoying and playing a wide variety of titles.

So I've been playing this game a few weeks now and I'm finding it to be an obvious clone as we knew it would be. My question for everyone is if you're going to pay a monthly fee then why not go for the one with more support and a more balanced pve/pvp system? I've not raided yet but am close to it and have heard there wasn't much challenge in comparison. I know the game is new but I think you guys will find yourself in the same situation in the end. Not flaming just genuinely curious as to what aspects people are enjoying more or at all just in general.
    Clone? No. Like the phrase says "We're not in Azeroth any more".
    That alone determines that the game isn't a clone of the other game you are referring to.

Has the potential to be an evolutionary step beyond what previously launched MMO's have been? Yes. The result of such potential is purely in the hands of the devs. Right now, after only 1 month, we cannot say one way or the other way such potential is being wasted.

Want more balance in PVE and PVP? Come back in a few patches time. Then maybe you'll see more "balance". But the fact remains that class balancing is an iterative process. One that cannot just be solved in one all-encompassing patch. If someone thought that was possible, then they haven't followed many MMO's. Even the almighty WoW has had balancing issues for years.

In short, if someone can only see Rift as being nothing more than a poor mans "clone", then they aren't looking hard enough and perhaps are purposefully trying to generalise the game by it's similarities to other games, whilst at the same time deliberately ignoring its differences to them. Such a viewpoint is not objective.
    Last edited by Tarka; 04-04-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Soulwalker

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Shriker View Post
    Because the game you are talking about is OLD, it's boring and all my friends quit because it's turned into a fancy game lobby that you can fly around in. The only people remaining are children and the original fan base has been totally abandoned in favor of comic book style linear progression.

The community in Rift is terrific, almost the exact opposite of that other game's community which is just trash. The rifts themselves give me endless hours of fun, and I don't even do many dungeons. It's a different kind of game, one where you can just go around killing stuff with other people in large 40 man groups and having fun. You can also grind, but that's not how I play it.

I'll put the question back to you. Why would you play a 6 year old game that has gone stale and whose subscription numbers are plummeting over a game that's new and fresh? I don't think you know what the word 'clone' means. A clone is an exact replica of something else.

No trolling here, you asked and there's your answer. Nice first post.
    You're taking the word too literally. Talking staleness of any game is your opinion and I won't defend anything but if you expect something to feel fresh after 6 years you're asking way too much. Even this game will be 'stale' soon enough. There was only a select few who even responded accordingly and the rest like you raged and took offense. the first post had no game reference other than all mmorpgs. My genuine interest was asking what people enjoy about this specific game when there's so little to add to the game genre.

There is no linkage between the two games for me. I quit WoW before I even heard about Rift because it's become just HORRIBLE.

Lucky for me Rift came along and gave me something else to do, but I didn't LEAVE Wow for Rift, Wow was already dead to me.

The ONLY thing to do in WoW is the gear grind. I LOVE fighting rifts with 39 other people and could care less about the gear grind. I recognize you CAN do the gear grind in both games, but you can only fight Rifts in ONE.

Shadowlander

You're taking the word too literally. Talking staleness of any game is your opinion and I won't defend anything but if you expect something to feel fresh after 6 years you're asking way too much. Even this game will be 'stale' soon enough. There was only a select few who even responded accordingly and the rest like you raged and took offense. the first post had no game reference other than all mmorpgs. My genuine interest was asking what people enjoy about this specific game when there's so little to add to the game genre.
    While you're right that it doesn't add much specific, it does combine different elements and refine them well.

MMOs do not need to reinvent the wheel every time. Action bars work, because they work.. you don't need to change those, and in fact doing so may damage a game unless done very very carefully. Game Genres don't evolve by people suddenly changing everytihng that was ever known in one game, they change from one to the next, taking, adapting, refreshing the genre one step at a time.

Rift Chaser Drizzt of the Underdark's Avatar

Wrong, your geniune interest was to bait and troll.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. ~ Barney Stinson

"My question for everyone is if you're going to pay a monthly fee then why not go for the one with more support and a more balanced pve/pvp system?"

Which game were you referring to in your original post? Tell me it wasn't Wow and tell me which game it was or you're just a liar.

It doesn't do any good to play dumb at this point. You called Rift a clone. A clone of what?

I'm taking you too literally? What are you, the Dalai Lama? You think anyone is going to take your post metaphorically?

I didn't rage or take offense, how could I take offense? I don't even know you. You asked people to defend the game, which is antagonistic to begin with. Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer and certainly don't come back QQing when you get an answer you don't like.

Why are WoW fans constantly saying that Rift is "fail" because of balancing issues?
    I played WoW casually from 2007 up until a few months ago and I still have an active account there.
    Over the years I have seen the WoW "balance" pendulum swing several times and in all kinds of directions.
    In (I think) 2008 there was a major mana nerf to Hunters mostly affecting leveling players. Years later they admitted Hunters had a mana problem. Then changed it completely. And don't get me started about the ups and downs of Paladins. I rarely played my Paladin and I could see the changes. And the ridiculously over-powered Death Knights at the start of Wrath.
    Even Starcraft was constantly being "balanced" twelve years ago.

My question for everyone is if you're going to pay a monthly fee then why not go for the one with more support and a more balanced pve/pvp system?
    Here, let me go with the simple, serious answer with this question: I did. And here I am.
    "I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone." -- The Doctor, Doctor Who: The Lazarus Experiment

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast