+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just got Beta Invitation but I don't think my computer can run Rift.

Unhappy Just got Beta Invitation but I don't think my computer can run Rift.

As the title says, I just got accepted for Beta but I'm almost positive that my computer cannot run Rift, which is strange to me as it can run games like mass effect 2. I think the reason is because the game is in Beta. So I'd love if you guys could 1. Post and tell me if the system requirements have changed since the first beta and 2. Tell me if there is any cheap way to upgrade my computer in the time for beta.

Thanks, really don't want to miss out on this special chance.

System Requirements for Rift:

Windows XP/Vista/W7
    2GB System RAM
    Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E2180 (2.0GHz)
    512 MB Direct3D and Shader 2.0b compatible video card (512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT)
    8xDVD-ROM Drive
    DirectX 9.0c
    DirectX 8.1 Compliant Sound Card
    Keyboard, Mouse
    Broadband Internet Connection (Internet Connection using DSL, Cable Modem or other high speed connection)

Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by Nickolaus; 12-24-2010 at 01:40 AM.
    Nickolaus

Nope

Not even sure your motherboard can hold 2gb ram. If you can get another gb ram you might beable to play on low settings...
    Last edited by Spraga; 12-24-2010 at 01:26 AM.

My motherboard can hold 2 GB of Ram. Also, my graphics card is 256MB, I think that is a problem as-well.
    Last edited by Nickolaus; 12-24-2010 at 01:33 AM.
    Nickolaus

just close everything and make your pref low.I think you can play
    There must be a doc !!

PWND ^^

Well i think you might be ok if you get 1 more gb ram. Ram is very cheap now... And yes just turn down settings to low... Good luck...
    Last edited by Spraga; 12-24-2010 at 01:33 AM.

Some say yes, some say no... Maybe just try it?

Rift Chaser

I think it is worth trying.

Listed minimum specifications are only what the company is willing to support, it doesn't mean it definitely won't run on a lower spec system.

I'm no expert, but I think there are two chokepoints in you rig (which, incidentally, are under minimum specs for the game) :
    - RAM (1 GB is not enough, sorry - try 2 at least, 3 if you can squeeze them in your MB slots). I'm not sure your OS could manage more anyway. Be careful with compatibility.
    - GPU : your brand of 6800 is a 256 MB GPU which is more than six years old. Try to upgrade to at least a couple of generations - I'd say, 8800 or 9800 series at least, or the ATI equivalent. Make sure the card memory is at least 512 MB
    Be careful : upgrading might require to resize your power supply - there are many online power sizing tools where you can check whether you are still safely oversized or are running into the danger zone.

The alternative might be to reduce the screen resolution, but I don't like to downgrade screen resolution from native resolution - still, it might be worth a try.

But as it is, I think both chokepoints should be adressed. The 8000 and 9000 series GPU can be bought at bargain price on most internet sites selling that kind of HW since they are already well behind the SOTA curve. Without trying, I found one at 79 €, and France is not known for having good HW deals.
    Last edited by MisterK; 12-24-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will definitely try to get another GB of ram which should be pretty cheap, just not sure I can get it in time. Graphics card is more tricky, I'm planning on getting a new computer soon anyway as my computer is just over 5 years old now.

But as is I'll just try to download and run it on lowest settings and nothing else running with low screen resolution I guess. =P.

Anyway, I'll check the thread in the morning, I'm going to bed.

Night guys.
    Last edited by Nickolaus; 12-24-2010 at 02:03 AM.
    Nickolaus

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolaus View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I will definitely try to get another GB of ram which should be pretty cheap, just not sure I can get it in time. Graphics card is more tricky, I'm planning on getting a new computer soon anyway as my computer is just over 5 years old now.

But as is I'll just try to download and run it on lowest settings and nothing else running with low screen resolution I guess. =P.

Anyway, I'll check the thread in the morning, I'm going to bed.

Night guys.
    Yeah just try it with low settings and low resolution your rig needs an upgrade... I know how that feels

Last edited by Melvach; 12-24-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Shadowlander

TBH i wouldnt upgrade the graphics card and upgrading the mem will only make a slight difference as you will need to upgrade the motherboard too so bit of a waste of cash i would just try on low settings it should run on low not sure how good though and just buy a new computer when you have a chance.

That 6800 Graphics card will kill the game. Upgrade that and add a gig of ram and it will be playable.
    Mac

If I were you I would just try the game and see if it works. Depending on how old the type of memory you use is, it can be quite difficult (and sometimes expensive) to get complementary memory to the 1GB you already have. And seeing that you're planning to get a new computer anyway, the money may be best spent on that.

If you try to play, do it in windowed, lowest resolution and lowest settings. There is also a option in the top right corner of the advanced video options to make use of the low quality renderer, make sure you tick that one. May be a good test case for Trion as well to see how the game performs on such a system (if at all...).

I got a Geforce FX 5800 to run Vanguard.

I'm sure you can get your 6800 run Rift at absolute minimum.

When system is even below the recommended low requirements you know it is not good. You need an upgrade OP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast