+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just got Beta Invitation but I don't think my computer can run Rift.

Guys, never forget to add up all the clues. A 6800 GT, 1 gig of ram, older/low powered CPU; this all heavily points towards either an ancient system that is likely AGP based, or more likely a home entertainment system, which means 250-350 watt PSU and small form factor. I hate to tell people go out and spend a bunch of money, but there is no way this older base is worth spending upgrade money on. Vastly better to put that money towards the new build.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Soulwalker

BAH...........this is beta testing. If you can find another 1 gig stick of ram throw it in there and give it a try. Your GPU is ok. If I remember correctly it says minimum Nvidia GPU was a 5900 which is less powerful than yours. You'll be ok...........If you were planning on buying the game when it's released then I would worry about spending the cash on a new rig...........

Lol, is this computer from like the 1600s?

Naw just jokin, my computer manages around 20 fps on low ...when there are no rifts nearby, the population is low, just after a reboot, and when my camera is looking at the ground. I think ive got an ATI 3750 .... something in the 3700s is all I remember haha, havnt looked at in a while, gonna be upgrading to a monster PC this upcoming march, so easily be able to run the game...

Turn on low quality rendering, and make everything as low as possible, also try adding another gb of ram as mentioned before.
    Last edited by -Naosyth-; 12-24-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlugon Pyro View Post
    I have a bottle right next to me but if attractive women looked like that I might as well be gay.

When considering upgrading a PC, it is always good to consider all aspects of it prior to spending for one or two pieces only to find out that the whole thing would be better off and more cheaply replaced. I hate to see money spent on a video card and memory only to discover the PC is still too slow, and then have more money spent on a completely new PC...

So...

I suggest replacing the aged PC entirely with a newer system that has a more up to date gaming GPU, CPU, has 4-8GB memory, and has Windows 7 64 bit.

Yours is below minimum spec in GPU and CPU and physical memory, and video memory.

Yes, you might be able to add physical memory, replace the graphics card, and make do. But you will be so much happier with a newer, even a budget system as long as it has a decent gaming graphics card. Also remember the mechanical components in a PC have a mean time before failure and that means the hard drive, fans, power supply fan, and optical drives etc will fail at some point.

Also, the power supply in many old PCs is inadequate to handle the newer video cards, ie, yet another expense, assuming the PC in question CAN support a new PS. (ie, Dell old XPS)
    Last edited by Sabrael; 12-24-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Telaran

you can run it on low.. my friend has a worst pc then u do and she can run it

she has pentium 3..is not even dual core.

she also only has 1k memory and her video card is worst.
    Last edited by shi7an; 12-24-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolaus View Post

System Requirements for Rift:

Windows XP/Vista/W7
    2GB System RAM
    IntelŪ PentiumŪ Dual-Core processor E2180 (2.0GHz)
    512 MB Direct3D and Shader 2.0b compatible video card (512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT)
    8xDVD-ROM Drive
    DirectX 9.0c
    DirectX 8.1 Compliant Sound Card
    Keyboard, Mouse
    Broadband Internet Connection (Internet Connection using DSL, Cable Modem or other high speed connection)

Thanks again guys.

Oh, it will run it .. just on the absolute lowest settings. I was forced to do this when my precious crapped out on me and had to get a new mobo and hd. I busted out my gateway that was purchased in '05 and my baby was purring and held up like a trooper. IT was pretty much unplayable though so you may have to skip the last instance.

Plane Touched

I wouldnt necessarily upgrade my PC for a beta. I think the games pretty fun myself but what if you were to not like it later? Would you still have upgraded your PC? You probably would, but be careful about spending coin you might not want to spend right away. I've seen people do this very thing then their rig is up on ebay/CL for sale so they can make thier car payment etc. LOL

Wow, 3 pages of replies!

Thanks guys and happy Christmas/Holidays!

I'm just gonna try to run in on my current computer and upgrade the ram for cheap if I can.
    Nickolaus

Rift Master

To the OP, Rift will launch, but you are going to be playing out of swap, which means you may be able to run it but you won't want to for very long.
    Thread Promo: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...nity-approach.

Partial MMO History including: EQ1 ,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,WoW,CoH/V,EVE,LotRO,V:SoH,AoC,Allods,RyL,L2,AC2,CoS, PoBS,VC,Wurm,SL,PS,SWG,PL(iOS),Aion,HZ,STO,BOI,DDO ,DCU MoreSigSpacePlease.

Yeah go in and see it - but in the starting zone you will look like an old 8mm film as you "still-shot" through. When you get near a RIFT you will not be able to move so stop smashing your buttons now and plan on moving a few feet at a time. But do not upgrade that rig... It cannot be brought to modern specs for better games. If you intend to play games just save the money now instead of upgrading so you can get a bit better rig.

Maybe you will at least see what the world is like. You will miss the HD stuff - but you will see that the UI is very familiar at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolaus View Post
    As the title says, I just got accepted for Beta but I'm almost positive that my computer cannot run Rift, which is strange to me as it can run games like mass effect 2. I think the reason is because the game is in Beta. So I'd love if you guys could 1. Post and tell me if the system requirements have changed since the first beta and 2. Tell me if there is any cheap way to upgrade my computer in the time for beta.

Thanks, really don't want to miss out on this special chance.

System Requirements for Rift:

Windows XP/Vista/W7
    2GB System RAM
    IntelŪ PentiumŪ Dual-Core processor E2180 (2.0GHz)
    512 MB Direct3D and Shader 2.0b compatible video card (512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT)
    8xDVD-ROM Drive
    DirectX 9.0c
    DirectX 8.1 Compliant Sound Card
    Keyboard, Mouse
    Broadband Internet Connection (Internet Connection using DSL, Cable Modem or other high speed connection)

Thanks again guys.
    Your system can handle it. My system has worse specs and I get about 10 FPS. Now that is subjective as if that is really playable but it works for me until my new system is here. All settings is on low of course.

New entry on your Xmas wish list?

I say go for it, I was able to play with a Gforce 210 on a single proc pc..took way to dam long for that new pc to get here. all settings on low, and in beta 2 i had 20-25 fps.
    Last edited by liri; 12-24-2010 at 03:38 PM.

BloodPact: Member

I suppose you can try but I highly doubt your 6800 GT will run much of anything. That's vastly underpowered compared to the minimum 8800 GT.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by liri View Post
    I say go for it, I was able to play with a Gforce 210 on a single proc pc..took way to dam long for that new pc to get here. all settings on low, and in beta 2 i had 20-25 fps.
    As the quoted poster and others have stated, give it a try; however note the specs quoted are a vast upgrade from what you have so be prepared for a slide show.

Also, I recommend against trying to upgrade the video card for a couple of reasons. First, Dell used that identifier, Dell DSP501 for many variable configurations, therefore without knowing exactly what model you have, it is risky to suggest a video card upgrade; if ram is cheap enough, that is a different story. Second, the cpu you have will bottle-neck an 8800 series video card and imo, it is not worth sinking any money into that upgrade, especially since you note a new machine is in the offing.

If you are uncertain what configuration you may want to purchase, take a look at rabb1t's link.

Also note that in a few weeks socket 1155 (sandy bridge) should be out. This will eventually (perhaps quite soon) effect a price drop on the socket 1156 boards and cpus, unless you favor AMD, which also has some very good deals going and will also get better when Intel drops their prices.
    Last edited by Grymmoire; 12-25-2010 at 02:46 AM.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast