+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Current and Future Guild Leaders

Rift Disciple

Default Current and Future Guild Leaders

I have always been interested in MMO community and attemptedn(usually unssuccessfully) to start my own guild. Now, what I am wondering about RIFT, being as its my first p2p that ive looked at before launch...is it easy? Lol, I'm just curious as to how well funded do you need to be to start one and is it newbie friendly? (heck, I won't lie, I'm in high school) Any tips or info would be great, thanks in advance

PS i havent gotten into beta yet

Soulwalker

I have been a guild leader in many games from a 300+ active member EQ1 Raiding guild to a less then 20 active person guild in AoC.

To be honest the raiding guild was easier; you always knew what we were going to do and you had to speak now if you wanted in the raid or you didn't get in, but it lacked a closer bond with people.

The smaller guild you have to figure out your goals and invite people accordingly or you will get people leaving due to lack of interest. Smaller guilds are the more family and friend orientated and give the fuzzy, warm and home feeling.

So first step decide what you want to do in the game, what you want from end game and go full steam with the guild and don't look back or people will leave you.

Rift Disciple

That makes sense, thank you. I suppose I've always aimed for a PvP guild, just never had the player base or levels to do it. But nalso, any info on cost of creating a guild?

When starting a guild its always good to have a few friends just as dedicated as you will be at getting things rolling. You all must be on the same page, so getting some type of charter in place will help you stay consistent with what you want your guild to be about. Start a website with guildlaunch or another type of hosting service and get a voice chat program like Ventrilo . You will fail without these.

The beginning stages of a game are very important and I suggest you DO NOT mass recruit. Go out and group with people and see who fits with your personality as a small starter guild. If you have 4 or 5 dedicated players your visibility and staying active will get you noticed. If someone joins your little group for a dungeon and has a good time its time to grab that person and seize the moment.

Take notice quickly of the players who show leadership abilities such as, constantly forming groups, suggesting good ideas in the forums and taking the time to recruit. When you see a player with these qualities it means he/she should probably be promoted to officer quickly . They will be a huge help, and weather you like them or not if they make things happen they probably will help you grow your guild.

Guild leaders also need to spend A LOT of time online and need to make it their business to be interested in the players in the guild and what they might need.

The main thing is the guild members and leadership should be as selfless as possible. Remember your job is to keep the guild going strong not equiping your toon. If you put the guild first you will succeed.

Realize the strengths of your guilds members and react accordingly. For instance you as a leader play a Main Tank but one of your members seems to do a much better job at it than you.... in that case whos going to be main tanking in guild events ?? Ive seen some guild leaders go down hard when they cant come to grips with this simple question. Know your limits.

I hope this helped . Good luck if you decide to persue starting a guild, I've been doing so since EQ1 and I love it . My members come first in every situation. If you ever need any help or advice just shoot me a PM i'll be glad to help ya.
    http://www.prophecyguild.net/

Being a Guild Leader isn't easy, going to say that now, keeping a close connection with all your members, whilst making sure they're enjoying the guild atmosphere aswell as progressing together, recruiting etc isn't an easy job.

Guild leaders spend a hell of a lot of time thinking about ways to improve their guild, I personally am always online on my computer talking to people, guildies on skype, teamspeak, website, forums, in-game and such. I'm always trying to promote my guild and get some new members.

It really depends on what guild you're going for... Raiding guilds aren't that easy to keep together, you'll need to make sure you have the sufficient members to raid on the set days and times you can raid, and give each raiders a spot to raid with the group, you'll need leadership skills and will have to spend alot of time reading up the tactics and knowing them off the top of your head as you will need to explain them fully to your raid numerous times during an encounter.

Playing a Guild Leader / Raid Leader in a raid situation isn't also the easiest thing, you need to watch everyone and how they're performing, making sure everyone is in the right positions, keeping everyone alive (as a healer), talking on teamspeak, and watching for any sudden mistakes can be very tricky, and with practice it slowly becomes a type of talent.

Here's a few essentials you'll need before you start up your own guilds and also some things which people say are necessary when they really aren't if you're dedicated enough:

Required:
    - Few people interested beforehand.
    - Website (with an application process).
    - Patience, for the rough times.
    - Leadership, keeping people happy, aswell as occupied.
    - Management - nuff said.
    - Progression in mind... always.
    - Social skills with members from all over the place!
    - Activity, you will need a hell of a lot of time spent on your guild.
    - VOIP, you'll need to talk to your members to grow a bond.

Not Requred:
    - Friends to become instant officers... I run my guild as I want my guild to run, I have one officer who just agrees or disagrees with points I bring up, you don't need people to run your guild for you.
    - The best players... You will need these if you're going for a hardcore progression guild, although if you're starting off, invite people who are looking for a guild who seem loyal.
    - Experience, members won't join your guild and expect you to do everything, unless like stated above, you're going for a hardcore setup.

If you need more information or clarification on any of the above, feel free to PM me

Elux,
    Reborn Guild Master.

Guild Leader of Reborn.
    Steampike-EU.
    -Disbanded-

Quote Originally Posted by peeontree123 View Post
    I have always been interested in MMO community and attemptedn(usually unssuccessfully) to start my own guild. Now, what I am wondering about RIFT, being as its my first p2p that ive looked at before launch...is it easy? Lol, I'm just curious as to how well funded do you need to be to start one and is it newbie friendly? (heck, I won't lie, I'm in high school) Any tips or info would be great, thanks in advance

PS i havent gotten into beta yet
    The others have posted some good intel and insight. So, I will add my own as a former guild exec and mostly follower who at times felt a bit disenchanted by the guild I found myself with.

The very first thing you need as a potential guild leader is a core group of friends whether real life friends or those you meet in-game. This group should be those you consistantly game with. That means they are on when you are and are available to group with you at the drop of a hat (loyalty and accessability are the keys). Your core group should number a little more than enough to initiate the guild charter.

Once you have decided as a group to create a guild you need to decide who will be in charge of what activities for managing the guild. Realize of course that the GL will shoulder the bulk of the load and at times be the only one doing anything. The GL will usually be key in setting up a website (almost a must have) and a VOIP handler (Ventrilo or Teamspeak). Though website can be had free the VOIP can vary. Don't go overboard with a fifty slot server when your entire guild is about 10 guys. You can always expand as you need to... later.

Recruiting from in-game is usually the best way to go versus recruiting through game forums and other web access areas. In-game you will more than likely play with these people before offering a guild invite. In the end recruiting is a numbers game. This means that you will recruit 10 people and 1 - 3 will actually be around a month later. The only thing to do is keep looking for the kind of players that made up your original core members.

Running a guild is much like running a small business. Since you are still in high school this work (and it is WORK) can seem overwhelming but the experience in successfully creating and managing a guild is very rewarding and may help you in real world situations later.

Good luck and best wishes in your endeavor. Last tidbits of advise, be patient and keep a level head.

Quote Originally Posted by Crypton View Post
    When starting a guild its always good to have a few friends just as dedicated as you will be at getting things rolling. You all must be on the same page, so getting some type of charter in place will help you stay consistent with what you want your guild to be about. Start a website with guildlaunch or another type of hosting service and get a voice chat program like Ventrilo . You will fail without these.

The beginning stages of a game are very important and I suggest you DO NOT mass recruit. Go out and group with people and see who fits with your personality as a small starter guild. If you have 4 or 5 dedicated players your visibility and staying active will get you noticed. If someone joins your little group for a dungeon and has a good time its time to grab that person and seize the moment.

Take notice quickly of the players who show leadership abilities such as, constantly forming groups, suggesting good ideas in the forums and taking the time to recruit. When you see a player with these qualities it means he/she should probably be promoted to officer quickly . They will be a huge help, and weather you like them or not if they make things happen they probably will help you grow your guild.

Guild leaders also need to spend A LOT of time online and need to make it their business to be interested in the players in the guild and what they might need.

The main thing is the guild members and leadership should be as selfless as possible. Remember your job is to keep the guild going strong not equiping your toon. If you put the guild first you will succeed.

Realize the strengths of your guilds members and react accordingly. For instance you as a leader play a Main Tank but one of your members seems to do a much better job at it than you.... in that case whos going to be main tanking in guild events ?? Ive seen some guild leaders go down hard when they cant come to grips with this simple question. Know your limits.

I hope this helped . Good luck if you decide to persue starting a guild, I've been doing so since EQ1 and I love it . My members come first in every situation. If you ever need any help or advice just shoot me a PM i'll be glad to help ya.

that is very good advice, ive been a guild leader along time, and this guy nails it on the head.
    Thump

Quote Originally Posted by tkizzle View Post
    that is very good advice, ive been a guild leader along time, and this guy nails it on the head.
    Thanks thump

Lots of good suggestions in this thread
    Last edited by Crypton; 12-20-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Plane Touched

Abit off topic with my question here but..
    Guild Leader is a title supplied by a game and on a guess i would say, non of you would take orders from your guild leader in RL, so why would a guild leader have to ..well..lead the members around and make sure they are happy?

Faya

Quote Originally Posted by Faya View Post
    Abit off topic with my question here but..
    Guild Leader is a title supplied by a game and on a guess i would say, non of you would take orders from your guild leader in RL, so why would a guild leader have to ..well..lead the members around and make sure they are happy?

Faya
    Guild Leaders dont lead people around, they put options in place for a guild filled with numerous players to be successful which in turn keeps them happy and having fun. Ultimately Guilds are successful because of their members, not the Guild Leader.

I mostly agree with that but a great leader can take places a guild would never achieve with a standard leader. There is a psychology to making people happy and that isn't just street-smarts. A well-versed, experienced, and motivated leader can bring new heights of success to their guild through the members too.

As far as startup cost, it can be anywhere from free to quite a bit. You get what you pay for. Just google guild management or guild hosting (you'll find stuff like guildportal etc). Since you're in HS I don't expect you have a lot of experience with guild management software or tools so a site that has a complete package on hand may be your best bet to help familiarize yourself with recruitment modules, dkp management, forum software, and things of that nature. As you grow up, and if your talent for leadership evolves, you'll want something more customizable and will probably be looking standalones and want to buy a domain and some hosting, which have additional monthly/yearly costs.

Prophet of Telara

Excellent advice. As a former guild leader I couldn't have said it better. I quickly learned I was better suited at being one of "those officers" you could depend on types. I led raids, devised stratagies, optimized groups to get the best bang for our buck out of who we had on at the time,got mini raids together on off days to help members work on epics.keys,etc.

Surround yourself with as many good people as you can. Sometimes you might have to hurt someone feelings, but If a "Bad Apple" gets in you have got to get rid of them as fast as possible. Whether that person is a friend or not. Use an Axe man if necessary. That job fell to me many, many times.
    " Why is common sense so damn uncommon?"

Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Guild Leaders dont lead people around, they put options in place for a guild filled with numerous players to be successful which in turn keeps them happy and having fun. Ultimately Guilds are successful because of their members, not the Guild Leader.
    i agree and disagree

a good guild leader, with horrible members wont be able to accomplish anything,
    a horrible guild leader, with good members wont be able to accomplish much
    a good guild leader, with good members will accomplish anything they set their minds too.

edit: and yeah, like alot of people have said here and in other topics, leading a guild (in my eyes the right way atleast), takes alot of time and to an extend quite alot of experience in judging/guessing what people want/need to be happy in your guild (especially in broader guilds like my own)
    Last edited by Alyvian; 12-21-2010 at 03:03 AM.

http://tinyurl.com/RaremobsSL < Almost complete SL rare list.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyvian View Post
    i agree and disagree

a good guild leader, with horrible members wont be able to accomplish anything,
    a horrible guild leader, with good members wont be able to accomplish much
    a good guild leader, with good members will accomplish anything they set their minds too.

edit: and yeah, like alot of people have said here and in other topics, leading a guild (in my eyes the right way atleast), takes alot of time and to an extend quite alot of experience in judging/guessing what people want/need to be happy in your guild (especially in broader guilds like my own)
    maybe I should have said, " guilds are successful because of the members, the officers, and the guild leader" .

http://tinyurl.com/RaremobsSL < Almost complete SL rare list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast