+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Current and Future Guild Leaders

I've had several raiding guilds in WoW before, (Actually, around the age you seem to be right now.) So I'll add my input as well. =)

First thing i normally would say has already been covered, have 2-3 people interested already, be they RL or very close in-game friends. Starting a guild on your own can work, but you will always feel separate from the members. Example, 4 good friends join, well, those 4 will operate as a whole, while you being the leader are the odd one out. Just gets tricky to handle in some cases.

Second thing. What is the goal of your guild? This is something to talk about with your first members as well, remember, a guild may be a dictatorship in it's setup, but if you operate it as one, it'll be a dictatorship consisting of You, and your Alts. Back to topic =) What do you want your guild to be, Raiding? PvP? Social? Crafting? It is up to you, but once that decision is made, you still have to look into it further.

Let's take raiding as an example, because for me it's easiest. You then have to think. What is our loot distribution rules? How hardcore are we with raiding? Are we casual, moderate, or hardcore? What times will we raid? How many days a week?

All of this factors in and while it doesn't have to be set in stone, should be thought of, and heavily considered before you ever decided even on the guilds name. A good set of rules is crucial, because not only will it decide arguments that come up, it'll make people feel more comfortable knowing exactly what is expected, and what to expect from others.

Recruitment: Even if you're a social guild, and want as many members as possible, I'm still going to stick to my point here. Don't recruit everyone off the street! While I've found some of my best in-game friends from random whispers in game looking for a guild, it's rare, and most likely you'll get the Troll over there waiting for his food. Do an instance with them, talk to them awhile. Judge their personality and decide if it fits or not. You'll appreciate the extra effort later.

And lastly before this wall of text ends, remember this. You are the guild leader. That means you must set an example and lead. Now, this doesn't mean you have to be commanding, it doesn't mean you have to even know what you're doing. It means simply that

1. You listen to people. Even if it's the new guy, listen to him, hear their complaints. Then don't dismiss them. Don't act on them either. Write them down, then whenever you're in a good mood with a nice cup of coffee, review the complaints, and decide, logically and analytically, if they can/should be fixed.

2. Being the leader in a typical guild system grants you the last say in matters. This doesn't mean that you have the last say. Remember, /gquit is a very simple command. To be leader not only do you have to compromise, you have to be the First to compromise. You're the neutral in all arguments. If people are fighting, instead of pushing them away from each other, you have to get them both standing at your back, happy, and doing their jobs.

3. Spread power around. Don't do everything yourself. Remember the 2-3 friends? Most likely they'll become officers. Don't just throw the title at them and then go and work for 4 hours recruiting people, fixing the website, and organizing the bank. Give them responsibility. Not only does it make them happy, it means that you have structure. It also provides a path for questions. If someone has a question about raid times and you have Bob organizing all raids, well most likely people will ask Bob their question. If Bob can't answer it, he'll ask you. So instead of being bombarded with 20 questions a minute, you'll get the 1 question, that's most important.

Alright, that's all of my advice. I could probably write another 4-5 pages, but that just shows you have much you have to think about being a guild leader. And don't get me wrong, it's incredibly fun. I love leading my own guild, and when we succeed, it's all the better. But it takes effort, and time. Don't rush into it, give it time, think things through and approach it logically.

Oh, and one other thing which I'm sitting here laughing at to myself. We guild leaders love to talk don't we? Especially about our guilds. =) So much advice in this thread. Probably over 10-15 years cumulative experience between all of us, or more. Ahh well, we're all still learning new things about our guilds, and to be honest, i need to re-read through it all, I'm still not good at taking even my own advice in these things. =) Well, Good Luck to you, and i hope this helped a little.

from personal experieince the main thing you need to do is recruit a good officer corps. dont try to do it all your self or you will burn out.. learn to deligate.. get your raid leaders and hand off raiding to them. get your pvp leaders and hand off to them, get a bank officer as eventually that by itself will be a full time role in a large guild. crafting/class leaders/event organizers.. etc etc depending on what TYPE of guild your aiming for..

the TYPE of guild your creating needs to be well defined or you wind up with a unfocused guild that acomplishes nothing.. this is why people look for raid guilds/pvp guilds/leveling guilds/rp guilds instead of just a guild.. people want to play with others that are looking for the same type of play as they do. aka a pvp player wont last long in a pure pve raid guild...the player will be looking for something else.

attitudes.. when your recruiting pay atention to the attitudes of the players your recruiting.. one bad attitude can shatter or completely destroy a guild regardless of the type of guild you aiming for.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggiefishier View Post
    from personal experieince the main thing you need to do is recruit a good officer corps. dont try to do it all your self or you will burn out.. learn to deligate.. get your raid leaders and hand off raiding to them. get your pvp leaders and hand off to them, get a bank officer as eventually that by itself will be a full time role in a large guild. crafting/class leaders/event organizers.. etc etc depending on what TYPE of guild your aiming for..

the TYPE of guild your creating needs to be well defined or you wind up with a unfocused guild that acomplishes nothing.. this is why people look for raid guilds/pvp guilds/leveling guilds/rp guilds instead of just a guild.. people want to play with others that are looking for the same type of play as they do. aka a pvp player wont last long in a pure pve raid guild...the player will be looking for something else.

attitudes.. when your recruiting pay atention to the attitudes of the players your recruiting.. one bad attitude can shatter or completely destroy a guild regardless of the type of guild you aiming for.
    i defiantly agree with this, officers can take so much work of your shoulders (especially as the guild starts to grow) it isnt even funny.

http://tinyurl.com/RaremobsSL < Almost complete SL rare list.

Default yO

being a guild leader is honestly like being a parent. Fights between members, people annoying each other and complaining for you do do something about it. Debates on how to handle loot. Lots of silly drama like that can wear anyone out. It can be difficult. I have seen many leaders drop because of this stuff, and also just quit game. It tends to take the fun outta game. If you can handle people, don't mind the *****ing, then find the right mix of people and you can be on cruise control.

Quote Originally Posted by Faya View Post
    Abit off topic with my question here but..
    Guild Leader is a title supplied by a game and on a guess i would say, non of you would take orders from your guild leader in RL, so why would a guild leader have to ..well..lead the members around and make sure they are happy?

Faya
    "Guild Leader" is not a title supplied but a position recognized by developers. Warhammer devs saw fit to build a great Guild interface for Guild leadership to manage their members. A guild requires a central leader or core management team if the word leader is too imposing. While they don't specifically tell members what to do, they do work hard to provide for a friendly playing environment with their members who are like-minded. Think playground supervisor or pool lifeguard.

Feel free to setup a guild group on RiftPals.com when you are ready to take the plunge. Best of luck to you!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by peeontree123 View Post
    I have always been interested in MMO community and attemptedn(usually unssuccessfully) to start my own guild. Now, what I am wondering about RIFT, being as its my first p2p that ive looked at before launch...is it easy? Lol, I'm just curious as to how well funded do you need to be to start one and is it newbie friendly? (heck, I won't lie, I'm in high school) Any tips or info would be great, thanks in advance

PS i havent gotten into beta yet
    Dont do it! Run Run away fast ..... lol. Seriously now a running a guild can be a blessing or a curse. Basically you need to figure out what you want your guild to be and set up your guild accordingly. I could go on and on about leading a raiding guild but to keep this short if you plan on leading a raiding guild lets say in wow or now rift you have 2 choices. Recruit people that become friends and are fun to raid with or recruit the best you can find and be ready to replace them if they dont perform. Depending on your personality and managering skills both can be very taxing on you. Just make sure when you start the guild you hvae a clear path in mind and let everyone know who joins what the expectations are reguardless if their are none or if you expect the world from them.

Rift Disciple

Default Major Thanks

Thank you, everybody! I appreciate this more than you can imagine. I suppose I never really thought everything through quite as thoroughly as these posts suggest I need to. Through this advice, I believe I would be able to run a guild, only my officer corps would need to be rather extraoridnary lol. Being as I have little to no friends interested in MMO's, I believe my best option is to take all of this advice into account, and wait until I learn more about the game and try to make friends. (I might also want to let my voice get a tad deeper before getting teamspeak

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2