+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: My worst concern about the next patch: casting line of sight!

Running through someone to cancel a spell != skill

Spinning around people while meleeing is the most stupid game mechanic there has ever been in MMOs.
    Bunny hopping isn't very good either for making fights look "epic"; but you can't blame people for doing it because theres a jump button and it provides them with at least the thought that they are reducing damage somehow.

"Realism" in PvP is something I wish there was more of in MMOs; no spinning around people unless its an actual skill (bladedancer soul for example, with a cool animation to flip around someone); no bunny hoping (but this would require no jump button, or no jumping in combat). Currently, two warriors fighting each other in a duel jump and spin round each other, how the heck is that even vaguely realistic in terms of a 1v1 melee fight?
    Rift CE & Founder Sub
    Asus ATi 6950HD Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD PhenomII X6 1100T G.Skill 4GB 1.6Ghz (F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO)

Anything that makes players do anything is meaningless because it takes no skill... it just amazes me how people complain how wow is too easy because it wants to please the masses and then comes rift:
    *a instant spam fest game so you don't have to think about when to use instants and when to cast.
    *a macro game where you can put any reaction abilities or instants in 1-2 buttons so you don't have to make decisions nor react to special circumstances.
    *a game where spell are "homing" so you no longer have to face you target.

Soon to come:
    *auto-run to target.
    *auto-face target.
    *automatic "best target" selector.
    *auto-build maker.

Trion cares so you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Payne View Post
    Welcome to the next generation of gaming, old generation clunky mechanics are removed.
    Guild Wars 2, Tera, and SWTOR will feature auto facing; and now Rift.
    Just FYI(For Your Information) the next gen of games are doing just the opposite, Rift is using the very old and outdated targeting method, GW2 and Tera not only will they not have "auto-face-to-target" they will force you to use your camera because they use "soft-targeting" specially Tera where you actually have to aim your spells.
    You should at least get information before you make a fool out of your self in public.
    Last edited by Siveon; 03-24-2011 at 03:52 AM.
    * LAG is when you get latency related problems. (such as teleporting)
    * Low FPS(Frames Per Second) is when the game starts to stutter and it looks like pictures instead of fluid movement.

Plane Touched

All you mages complaining about being interrupted know you can...mouse turn right? lol...

This isn't my first MMO and they (other people) tried doing this in combat on the other games, simply use your mouse to turn with them and you never miss...

The only time I miss here on my Mage is when I get stunned mid-turn from the stuns...and that would have stopped my casting anyways.

This is just going to make mages even more of a totem in PvP.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStamp View Post
    Dynamism really?
    People could run -through- us at the last moment to stop the cast. Not around but literally through us, that wasn't cool. I'll taake this patch or one that adds collision detection in PvP.

I mean I fought several melee running back and forth through me while jumping, sometimes stopping my cast due to LoS.
    Yeah? its been like that for ages, and it has worked, it prevents casters from just standing in melee range and nuking away. casters are supposed to be at RANGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Morcova View Post
    Being able to keep up with your target and ensure the target isn't facing you isn't easy. Try it sometime.

Apparently guild wars made games for the "turning is hard" crowd.

Nope, don't world pvp, and I rarely play WF. I just hate to see stupidity rewarded by programmers.
    WOH WOH WOH

We don't insult guildwars on a pvp thread!
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Bakara View Post
    No, it didn't add dynamism to fights. It added free interrupts for melee dps every 2 seconds.
    /endthread

bads will cry = good in my book

Vod

So if mages get this, where is my buff to casted marksman abilities? Currently, when I start casting empowered shot, (for example) and somebody moves too close. It cancels it. It should finish casting if somebody moves into melee range once I have started.

While we are at it can i get auto move to target, Autoface and combo builders all inl 1 macro?

My hand gets sore if a done anything more then press 1 button.
    "Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil"

The Code of Druss the Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
    Yeah, real hard to run thru the target so they aren't facing you, very skillful.
    Turning your mouse is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaXpC View Post
    All you mages complaining about being interrupted know you can...mouse turn right? lol...

This isn't my first MMO and they (other people) tried doing this in combat on the other games, simply use your mouse to turn with them and you never miss...

The only time I miss here on my Mage is when I get stunned mid-turn from the stuns...and that would have stopped my casting anyways.

This is just going to make mages even more of a totem in PvP.
    Apparently they don't understand that you can mouse turn, probably don't know how to use their slows, ccs or knockbacks either. Most of them probably think it's normal for mages to fight in melee range.

This puts the "turning skill requirement" for both warriors and mages on equal footing so it's a good thing.

Warriors need to face their opponent to initiate a skill.
    Mages need to face their opponent to initiate a skill.

Crying about having a fair fight on your hands? Awwww. Too bad.
    Tired of wading through vast rivers of tears? Use this awesome forum feature!

As someone else stated I'm more worried about a mages ability to ignore los. Say in codex, they run up the edge of the cliff. Target someone just when they get in los. That person can then move below the cliff where normally they would be safe. Not in this case though. From the wording it appears the mages spell will go through the rocks and hit them.

This kind of thing could present many issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftspike View Post
    As someone else stated I'm more worried about a mages ability to ignore los. Say in codex, they run up the edge of the cliff. Target someone just when they get in los. That person can then move below the cliff where normally they would be safe. Not in this case though. From the wording it appears the mages spell will go through the rocks and hit them.

It won't work that way. There is always a Line of Sight check at the end of a ranged attack.

2 different mechanics
    "Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil"

The Code of Druss the Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Riftspike View Post

This.

Also interested if there will be no escape.

Champion of Telara

Looks like trion is at least consistent. Every time they touch something they screw something up. I would prefer they were consistent for something like good customer service, talented programmers.....not the fecal matter they are consistent at now.

Trion, maybe do this one right, I know it is not your normal mo to do things right but lets try. Keep the los as it currently is, but add player collision so we cant run through the mage. Can even have it trigger when the pvp flag comes on to prevent main city issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast