+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Game dieing already?

Ascendant

The game has rift, questing, farming, group activity [small] group activity [large], artifact and exploring and dungeons and at any one time players can be doing any. Just when you think there is nobody about you find half a dozen players all in the same region. I guess if players see a lot of Rift activity they join in. I have experimented by simply fighting a Rift on my own and in no time there are many players mucking in. In all my years of WoW I got use to working whole zones and never seeing anyone and that will be the same pattern here. However, this game has the grouping as an integral part so it will happen. When groups gets very large it really is a wonderful sight and something I have not experienced in any other game.

I also note that chat may be light, but this really is because players are doing things and enjoying the game for the first time. If you go artifact hunting you will soon find where all the players are.

On that group activity thing it really is great being say Level 30 and artifact hunting in the lower regions cus as a cleric you may decide not to contribute to the kills for lower players cus that would spoil the fun but you can heal at the last moment if someone is about to die. So easy just to pop into the group. Great idea from the creators.

So no problems with population, just don`t expect the mass group Rift bashing all the time. Players are doing the quests and the levelling also. And crafting.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerdude View Post
    it's not dieing, everyone else is just out leveling you...
    This is what people were telling me the whole time I was leveling. Then I got to 50 and realized they were wrong, the server is EMPTY. At 50 it's hard to find groups for dungeons or Rifts. I try each day to log on and try something but there are so many annoyances that the game frustrates the hell out of me. The developers really need to learn the difference between challenging and annoying as ****. It's a fine line I guess.
    Last edited by Gropius; 03-22-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul McCrusherton View Post
    My experience with mmo's is pretty much DAOC after it was well established., so im certainly no subject matter expert.

My question is this. . . is this game already in decline? on my server (deepstrike) the /region chat is minimal now, hard to find peeps for rifts or invasions (not all the time), etc etc

at any given time during the week there will only be 100 toons between lvl 40 and 50 (guessing here from looking at the lists)

is this normal in mmos? or is rift dying?
    the game is not dying and as far as you not seeing allot of trade chat out there well were much more mature than WOW and people are too busy having fun to troll the general chat.
    Im a little dark rain cloud hovering here over the honey tree, for every one knows a rain cloud wont eat honey not a drip.

Soulwalker

trust me the game isn't dying in any since. general chat is quiet because well most people only talk about WoW and i dont want to hear that so i turned it off and i stay in channel 6 ( 40-49 ) and my guild channel and ventrilo. but the game is flourishing and i love it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amberarrow View Post
    the game is not dying and as far as you not seeing allot of trade chat out there well were much more mature than WOW and people are too busy having fun to troll the general chat.
    There is a bug also when ,inking things from the AH to general chat that it does not link correctly. That is one thing that is missing from general chat.

No, the game is not dying. lol. Plus if its fun for you to play don't worry about if others are leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul McCrusherton View Post
    My experience with mmo's is pretty much DAOC after it was well established., so im certainly no subject matter expert.

My question is this. . . is this game already in decline? on my server (deepstrike) the /region chat is minimal now, hard to find peeps for rifts or invasions (not all the time), etc etc
    OH for god's sake, people...

No. Everyone's just not all crammed into the same few zones anymore because they're not mostly all the same level range. They've spread out. Also, people tend to play different schedules than they normally would when a new game first comes out. As the newness wears off, they settle into a more normal play schedule. There's not as much of the "must play!" urge.
    "I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone." -- The Doctor, Doctor Who: The Lazarus Experiment

Oh jesus NOT another "IT'S DIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIENG" thread
    lock it
    NOW!

A few weeks after launch, the population is at its most spread-out. I imagine in a couple months it will close up again, as many will be in the 50 bracket and you may 'notice' more chat etc and population in 50 areas and main cities due to it.

Many people mid-levels due to not having much time to play or low level because they re-rolled or have an alt. But those people are all over the zones. Also, not many people seem to chat outside of guild chat unlike the first few days of headstart.
    Rift CE & Founder Sub
    Asus ATi 6950HD Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD PhenomII X6 1100T G.Skill 4GB 1.6Ghz (F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO)

A lot of people are active within guild chat/vent and have no need to talk in general chat channels. Me included.

Telaran

Well I think what we may be seeing is the casual players settling in. I'm a perfect example of this. I'm 36 years old and have other responsibilities at the moment, namely baseball practices and games with my kids. All on-line communities see a decline in player during the summer months. They also see a shift in gaming times, don't forget we just went through the daylight savings time change.

I also just hit level 28 since I'm only able to dedicate a couple of hours of game time during the week. In my friends list we are all ranging from the mid 20's to mid 30's. We are all typically on over the weekend and less during the week. I'm actually curious to see some sort of stats on what percentage of level people are at, but I'm guessing that the majority of players are still below level 40.

Basically, I'm not worried. You see players settling into a new rhythm a month after launch all the time.

"While WoW is like a Beer, Rift is like a Fine Wine."

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    There is no reason for it to die.

The wowers came here because they want to quit wow and if you're not playing wow nor rift, then there is really nothing else to play right now.

Rift won't survive the clash with swtor or gw2, that much is certain, but right now it has no competitor in its niche.
    SWTOR will be an epic failure along the level of ST:O
    I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalathor View Post
    I guarantee it.
    Hell, having EA and in part Mythic involved, I'd dare say something on the lines of FAILHAMMER
    Actually ST:O recovered and it's now OK

Rift Disciple

Many people are already going back to WoW to their old guilds and friends. I do not find this surprising as it happens with every new MMO. Sadly this does mean Rift will likely remain a small niche MMO and our hopes for a big new MMO reside with Star Wars or Guild Wars 2.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kalathor View Post
    I guarantee it.
    Its gamble for sure. Star Wars IP is very questionable, its old, some hate, some like, some are bored. Then of course MMORPG community never asked for story and now theres tons of it, so basically they have to relay on their own customer base whats mostly SP players who arent used to pay monthly fees and also time dedication what most MMORPGs requires, also consoles players, yeah not MMORPG players. Also combat did they make same mistake as Funcom with AoC and think they can make that kind of combat work, because if it doesnt it looks horrible. MT is partly confirmed its going to be huge hit too, all remebmer what happened when Cryptic did it, just massive ****storm. List just goes forever, but its sure gamble it can be major fail, or decent success.
    Last edited by June; 03-23-2011 at 02:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast