+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Security Update

Default Weekend Security Update

Hi, everyone -- I wanted to get an update out for the weekend after the last day of excitement around here.

On last night's fix -- I'm very happy to confirm that we did fix a login vulnerability, with significant assistance from an extremely clever user.

The root cause was a very subtle bug in error checking of our login validations deep in the server code. No personal information or any such was leaked out, and no outside attacker penetrated our servers, networks, or databases.

We'd definitely like to thank Mr. ManWitDaPlan for the well-timed assist. Sir, we salute you and offer our most heartfelt thanks.

The rest of what I'd like to add isn't to detract from the above well-deserved compliment, but it's important to include in the comprehensive picture.

The sobering fact is that account security remains a multifaceted issue, as attacks from other sources continue.

It's important to remember is that while a hole was identified and fixed as rapidly as we possibly could, there are still hackers and botnets trying account/password combinations from compromised web sites and past MMOs.

They are doing this right now. Those attacks have been coming constantly since we launched the game. The only thing that changes are how many hundreds of computers are trying to get into your account at any given moment, where they're coming from, and how many are succeeding.

We do block them as they are detected, but the fact that they are using distributed botnets (compromised computers from across the globe) means that this will remain something that we will continue keeping an eye on, forever.

For users getting hacked this way, Coin Lock is currently doing its job protecting people's belongings, provided that your RIFT password and EMail password are both complex and entirely different.

Both the login fix and the Coin Lock addition have been doing their part in signficantly reducing overall incidents over the last 18 hours.

Neither one is a silver bullet, but so far it is looking to be a solid one-two punch for the weekend.

Then, with two-factor authentication coming very soon, we expect security to be improved even further.

All totalled up, under 1% of accounts with characters have had characters impacted. However, 1% of a surprisingly large number is still very noticeable.

Our staff has been, and will continue to be, working around the clock to get those impacted back in shape. We'll continue hiring on even more people to help people with issues of all kinds, as quickly as we can. (Another round of hires begin on Monday, and there will be even more to follow.)

As always, thanks very much for your time, your attention, your assistance, and your patience!

- Scott Hartsman
    Exec Producer, RIFT

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I knew it. I shoulda bet people money that Trion would come out and say what happened and not cover it up.

Every time people tell me that Trion will not be awesome, I should bet against them. I would be rich by now.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I knew it. I shoulda bet people money that Trion would come out and say what happened and not cover it up.

Every time people tell me that Trion will not be awesome, I should bet against them. I would be rich by now.
    That's because Hartsman is the man. And if anyone doubts his validity as "the man" check out his PAX East picture. Bandanna and drink? Yes please.

I'll get you another bottle next time I see ya.
    Last edited by Micajah; 03-19-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Cody "Micajah" Bye
    Director of Content - ZAM
    ZAM RIFT Database
    ZAM's Rift Soul Calculator

Kudos to Trion for this.

Good to know that no one got inside your servers and no personnel info was comprised.
    Please be nice to the trolls, it confuses them.

Thank you for admitting it was on your end. My opinion of your company has went up a great deal. Most companies would never have admitted it. I appreciate the hole being rapidly fixed. I am sad at so many people who had to be abused by loud mouthed, finger pointing morons. LOL, of course they will never admit they were wrong. They will just disappear. Again thank you for a great game and now back to playing.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........
    ..........Insert pic................This line for specs of my computer that no one cares about.
    ..........of some
    ..........effeminate..............This line for insightful quote from some dead guy here.
    ..........Korean
    ..........avatar.....................Now some comment from me that I think is witty.
    ..........here
    AND LAST OF ALL, SOME LINE IN BOLD CAPS TELLING HOW BAD I THINK I AM AND HOW YOU'RE NOT

Thanks for the update Hartsman!!
    Quote Originally Posted by graill440 View Post
    Keep your mouth shut and your chubby fungers off the keyboard.

Soulwalker

Big Kudos for coming out and admitting you were at fault. Glad that Trion are shaping up to be a company that are honest with their fanbase.

Thumbs up

Thank you for posting this! I really did not expect to see a post confirming the login vulnerability. My hats off to Trion for not covering this up

Telaran

Thanks for the straightforward no hidden aspect you have displayed. I am amazed at your forthcoming and glad that the security hole was found and fixed as quickly as it was. Luckily I didn't get hacked myself but I definately feel for those that did and now that this is fixed everything should be at least a little better. You will still have your phishing, keyloggers and brute force but everyone has to deal with those and not much can be done to eliminate those.

So again Kudos to everyone.

Shadowlander

Trion, I tip my hat to you Good sir. This is why I play Rift, they are honest and they keep us up to date on any ongoing situations!

Thumbs up

Thanks for rapidly taking care of this issue and for communicating well with the customer. As always, Trion, you guys ROCK.
    OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Memory: 8.00 GB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11, Display Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, Display Memory: 768 MB

MMO Experience: EQII, WoW, LotRO, Lineage II, GW, Aion, Vindictus, PWI, Shaiya, Aika, HoTK, ME, SUN, CO

I can't believe it's all over now. Wait and see.
    Officially owned by Alsbeth the Discordant.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=815027&dateline=13020  88690

Elitists and game programmers think alike; The first thinks the game is too easy, the other nerfs the crap out of them.

Plane Touched

Nice announcment.
    And VERY nice job by the player that discovered the issue and notified Trion immediately.

I think someone deserves a lifetime subscription completements of Trion! lol

Like the Big Boss said, there are still issues. Chuckleheads are still using usernames and passwords that were broken a decade ago. Slimeballs are trying to bruteforce weak passwords. Other slimeballs are probably DDoSing the game just because some people are d*cks. And of course at least one person per minute is accidentally/unknowingly installing Win32.Trojan.StealMyCrap along with their fancy UI add-on.

Security starts with you and me, the end users. If we screw it up we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast