Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rift uses one Core vs multi-core CPU.

Default Rift uses one Core vs multi-core CPU.

I have a four core Intel I7 CPU. I'm watching my CPU utilization from the time I launch Rift and I notice that it only uses one core. Around 85% most of the time. If I open up task manager I see that Rift32.exe is the process consuming the CPU. Any reason why? The OS I'm running is Windows 7 64bit.

Raelani

Because Rift wasn't coded to take advantage of multi-cores, or 64 bit OS.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Shadowlander

I'm using a core 2 quad I haven't had any performance issues so I never looked ... I think I shall later now though.

There's not that many games yet (still) that use more than 2 cores.

When Rift started development was back in 2004, show me some quad core processors back then.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittis View Post
    When Rift started development was back in 2004, show me some quad core processors back then.
    No quad core but there were dual cores back in 2004.

To be honest if Rift was to utilize all fours it wouldn't really make much of a difference anyway to be honest as the game is more depentant on GPU power and Bandwidth. The only game which i've played recently that having more cores drasticly affects performance is Supreme Commander 2 and which isnt unsuprising because of the amount of 'stuff' going on at the same time in that game.

That being said, it would be nice if the game was encoded for 64bit as it would probably improve my gaming experience as i could use all of my RAM on my Computer (8gig onboard and 2gig on my GPU), the only thing which is currently letting my PC down is my graphics card (GeForce GT230 OEM) which i'm planning to replace within the next couple of months with a GeForce 560ti.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, using all four core WILL make a difference but not by as much as your expecting.
    Last edited by FullMetalMonkey; 03-18-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Rift is multicore. If you're not seeing CPU full use its probably because the processor is idle waiting for the graphic card.

Do what I do. Put Rift on one Core, Ventrillo on another, and let your OS use the other two cores.
    Fire and Ice - Hailol
    Level 60's - Guardians: Proclus Lycaeus, Wolframm, Ephrus, Berilion / Defiants: Daermoon, Shvaai, Eldr, Yamule --- Misc Characters: Ennal 60 --- On Faeblight: Benderis 17 --- On Brutwacht: Siebenundvierzig 17

Champion of Telara

rift uses both cores on my system.

Almost no games, even the newest ones out utilize more then 2 cores.
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    Do what I do. Put Rift on one Core, Ventrillo on another, and let your OS use the other two cores.
    And let the other 4 idle ?

I discovered how to spread the load across cpu's more evenly. Something I wanted to try. This is a new pc I just got a few weeks ago and noticed that Hyperthreading was turned on by default in the Bios since I was seeing eight cores listed in task manager and in the CPU Usage tool I'm using to watch my cpu's and memory. I just turned off hyperthreading in the bios to see how it would impact the game. I now see just four cores listed and the game is evenly spread across cpu's. or I should say utilization is more evenly spread. So the game either doesn't like hyperthreading or cpu utilization is misreporting the balance across cpu's.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranagon View Post
    The i7 only has 4 cores.

That you are talking about is what you see due to Hyper-threading. They aren't the same.
    Fire and Ice - Hailol
    Level 60's - Guardians: Proclus Lycaeus, Wolframm, Ephrus, Berilion / Defiants: Daermoon, Shvaai, Eldr, Yamule --- Misc Characters: Ennal 60 --- On Faeblight: Benderis 17 --- On Brutwacht: Siebenundvierzig 17

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Aranagon View Post
    Firefox. 4 hyperthreaded cores should barely be enough for you to run Flash. :P

Telaran

Go to your rift folder, locate the file rift.cg and open with notepad.

Under the [Client] settings, you will notice MainThreadCPU = 3

Change this to 0, save and restart rift.

This will give you nice FPS increase and should spread the load between the cores better.
    Whether you like me is irrelevant, you can't deny talent when it's evident.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast