+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC Gamer Official Review of Rift

Plane Touched

Default PC Gamer Official Review of Rift

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/16/rift-review/

85/100 - Absolutely colossal, Rift aims high and hits its mark, proving that there’s room to grow within the traditional MMO format.

Plane Touched

Also, more scores from Metacritic:

12 critics, average 83/100.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rift/critic-reviews

A critic who rates something on a scale of 1 to 100 is quite hilarious.
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew View Post
    I give rift 9 out of 13½ herpes.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Gamerankings.com has it averaging 83.5%. It's getting overall solid reviews.
    Understanding the Sab
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...b-is-wild-card

50 Assassin/Riftstalker/Infiltrator
    Prestige 3

I just love it.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by alucardr View Post
    Gamerankings.com has it averaging 83.5%. It's getting overall solid reviews.
    I guess if your looking for a polished Traditional MMO PC Gamer is not to far off, personally I would give it like 75/100

After seeing GW2 pax demo I would say that traditional MMO's are going to be a thing of the past... but to each there own..

Remember tho all these reviewers gave Age of Conan solid reviews to, until they played it for a few months... then the scores came down.
    Last edited by Monoth; 03-16-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Telaran

85% is not THAT good, considering a game has to be a really stinking literally unplayable dog turd to get less then 70% these days (and even then it will net something like 40% - well I literally could not install it but the box art was pretty so it gets 40%!).

Not that I'm saying rift is bad, mind you, just that it's not an amazingly good review score.

Banned

Very cool. Comments at the bottom are actually positive and not just GW2 and SWToR fanboi hatred. Good to see.

Cool

epic review ! trion world's hardwork deserve it !

my family & friends enjoy the game =]
    Last edited by funfanky; 03-16-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Shield of Telara

This game should be getting 90-95% approval ratings in these reviews, the way most of these reviewers review a game is to play it for a few hours, and for Rift that is the very best thing. The first time you log in and play it is blows you away, then the more you play it and look around the less appealing it becomes. But it makes a hell of a first impression. it just lacks stamina.

Seriously, the first Rift event youre in are pretty amazing, then after about the third one it is like "Ok STOP already'...'what is the pojnt now?'. Button smash and get carried by people actually high enough level to do them, since most people are around level 8 or 9 when they do their first rifts, but most mobs are 12+, so for the most part the first few Rifts people contribute absolutely nothing. But it is exciting and the mob mentality takes over. And of course seeing the big boss and wailing away on him for 5-10 minutes seems awesome, but once again, after the first three or so do people even go out of their way for them?

Rift invasion? A nuisance, you usually side step and avoid them and hope someone else clears them before you have to pass quests in.

of course this is coming from someone with a couple hundred hours of beta and live game time logged. But for a reviewer with probably less than 5 the game should come in as a home run. Because it had one of the best first impressions of any game, but if you were objective you could see the limitations. So maybe these reviewers are better than they used ot be about getting caught up and actually take a comprehensive look.

Because 85 is probably slightly high, but since it is all relative and numbers only mean something when compared to other numbers then theyre right in line I suppose. But I would probably give it a 72 or 73 out of 100. And considering how much I think is wrong with the game in so many areas that is still being generous. Because it does have some big positives, but those positives get destroyed by the major negatives it has.

Sword of Telara Tuatha de Danaan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew View Post
    Yes because the "everything below 7 means nothing" system is just the tops...
    "On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    You can see clearly only with your heart. What is truly important is invisible to the eyes
    - Fox to the Little Prince.

The Code I Live By:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz5dbs5zmo

+ Reply to Thread