+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spammers, a community approach.

Rift Master

Default Spammers, a community approach.

Before I go any further, I just want to say that I know a lot of people are going to frown on this as it is a form of spam in and of itself, but I also know that there are some that support my stance as I've seen from my own server. From my signature you know that I've been around for a while, and in that time I've passively sit by, ignoring and reporting the many faces to the gold spammers out there, the same as many of you.

I've begun a campaign on my server, to educate the new, and remind the veterans of the dangers of dealing with gold sellers. Not all of the symptoms I list are a problem in any particular transaction as it depends on the arrangement, but all are very possible under the right circumstances. Following spammer messages every so often (you don't want to do it every time or you'll have no one left to play with), this is what I say:

It is against the Terms of Service of Rift to purchase levels or gold and can lead to losing your account, (to Trion or the Seller), monetary or identity theft, or all of them.
    I encourage anyone who is of like mind to consider doing the same. When confronted by your fellow players as a spammer, invite them to ignore you. Tell them you understand your spammy-ness, and if the conversation continues, do it outside of the public channels. Stay firm, but polite and we may be able to reduce the problem as a whole.

I welcome any intellectual debate here, so long as it's kept short of a shouting match between sides.
    Thread Promo: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...nity-approach.

Partial MMO History including: EQ1 ,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,WoW,CoH/V,EVE,LotRO,V:SoH,AoC,Allods,RyL,L2,AC2,CoS, PoBS,VC,Wurm,SL,PS,SWG,PL(iOS),Aion,HZ,STO,BOI,DDO ,DCU MoreSigSpacePlease.

Rift Master

Remember: what you want, if you do this, is to encourage the open discussion of the effects of buying gold or levels. You must be sure to allow even those who think those transactions are good idea to speak their mind.

Your goal should not be to persuade but to inform.
    Last edited by Huene; 03-15-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Partial MMO History including: EQ1 ,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,WoW,CoH/V,EVE,LotRO,V:SoH,AoC,Allods,RyL,L2,AC2,CoS, PoBS,VC,Wurm,SL,PS,SWG,PL(iOS),Aion,HZ,STO,BOI,DDO ,DCU MoreSigSpacePlease.

Rift Master

Bump just to remind new players that happen to visit the forums.

12% will fall for any goldselling scam. You are wasting precious gaming time on them.
    Officially owned by Alsbeth the Discordant.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=815027&dateline=13020  88690

Elitists and game programmers think alike; The first thinks the game is too easy, the other nerfs the crap out of them.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Angelstar View Post
    12% will fall for any goldselling scam. You are wasting precious gaming time on them.
    Maybe, but I can't see any other way to fight back and have even the slightest chance of success,

- Banning sellers is a daily occurrence and not a deterrent.
    - Banning buyers might work but most companies aren't willing to do that because their customers feel entitled to play, and even if they are not, it sours the milk.
    - Website attacks, such as DDoS against the gold spammers are just not practical, as they have hundreds of domains at least, some may share the same hardware but no doubt there are redundancies.

And I'm sure there are others. So to date the only thing that I'm aware of that hasn't been tried, is to educate the new, and promote dialog about the subject openly with a community source.

Doing this with a community source keeps Trion from being the bad guy, which doesn't taint Trion's reputation, which in turn prevents the alienation of customers, helping to maintain subscriptions where there might otherwise be a loss.

Put simply, Gold spammers have been something I've put up with for 12 years. I'm done being passive about it. If they want to dip their hands into our pockets, They've got to go through me first.
    Last edited by Huene; 04-10-2011 at 06:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread