+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why come here?

Rift Chaser

Default Why come here?

I'm confused(seriously, not trolling) why people come from an MMO(oh heck, let's use WoW for an example), play a game like Rift, then ask for Trion to put a whole ton of features in it that WoW has? And if you don't get this feature, you threaten to quit and go back to said MMO. Why not just play it anyways? I don't get it.

Not everyone thinks these new features are good ideas. I don't think Flying Mounts are a good idea. I don't think a cross-server LFD tool is a good idea. A lot of ideas are thrown in the forums that came from WoW and people want it put into Rift, but why not play WoW? I'm so confused by this.

For everyone person who thinks something is a good idea, there's another that thinks it is not a good idea. There's no need to disregard that person's opinion as a bad opinion or a moron who is incapable of understanding why its a good idea. Because more often than not, if someone doesn't see the same way as you, they're completely inept and moronic(have a friend IRL like that, can't stand to talk to him about anything opinion based without because called stupid because you don't see eye to eye)

I find it ironic how you create a thread targeting people that will never give you a proper answer to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaiah View Post
    I'm confused(seriously, not trolling) why people come from an MMO(oh heck, let's use WoW for an example), play a game like Rift, then ask for Trion to put a whole ton of features in it that WoW has? And if you don't get this feature, you threaten to quit and go back to said MMO. Why not just play it anyways? I don't get it.

Not everyone thinks these new features are good ideas. I don't think Flying Mounts are a good idea. I don't think a cross-server LFD tool is a good idea. A lot of ideas are thrown in the forums that came from WoW and people want it put into Rift, but why not play WoW? I'm so confused by this.

For everyone person who thinks something is a good idea, there's another that thinks it is not a good idea. There's no need to disregard that person's opinion as a bad opinion or a moron who is incapable of understanding why its a good idea. Because more often than not, if someone doesn't see the same way as you, they're completely inept and moronic(have a friend IRL like that, can't stand to talk to him about anything opinion based without because called stupid because you don't see eye to eye)
    I wanted a real fantasy game, WOW wasnt that because of things like goblin eng, machines, planes etc... I dont want flying mounts in RIFT. I dont want high tech gadgets etc... I want a real feeling of fantasy of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaiah View Post
    I'm confused(seriously, not trolling) why people come from an MMO(oh heck, let's use WoW for an example), play a game like Rift, then ask for Trion to put a whole ton of features in it that WoW has?
    Because some of those features are good, or at the very least, we liked them.

And if you don't get this feature, you threaten to quit and go back to said MMO. Why not just play it anyways?
    I quit WoW a long time ago over their overt contempt for their subscribers. That doesn't mean that everything they've ever done is bad.

Are you seriously confused by the idea of people wanting things that they liked from another game added to a game that has other things that they like?

FWIW, I haven't seen anyone pushing for a cross-server LFG tool, because most people seem to prefer sticking to their own server. I've seen a lot of interest in addons, and some in stuff like flying mounts. (Me, I love flying mounts. I love being able to fly in CoH, too. I think the arguments against flight are mostly bad arguments, and I really, really, enjoy flying around.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravheart View Post
    I wanted a real fantasy game, WOW wasnt that because of things like goblin eng, machines, planes etc... I dont want flying mounts in RIFT. I dont want high tech gadgets etc... I want a real feeling of fantasy of those times.
    I just wanted to point something out, and maybe I am trolling... You play as a Guardian then? Rift's Defiant faction has a heavy influence on "magitech" which looks pretty Sci-Fi, with a fantasy back drop. I'm not opposed to it. I think I can suspend disbelief since this is a game after all. Just pointing out this game isn't pure "Fantasy" with regards to being all Old English accents, dragons and such.

In case you didn't know.

Ezekial

Ascendant

We live in a culture where people have been told they have the right to have whatever they want if they put down money. "The customer is always right," even at the expense of employees or the original vision behind the product.

There was an interesting article in the NYT recently about restaurants who are returning to policies that forbid the customer altering everything. It's a fascinating topic. How much catering to your audience can you do before you lose the soul of what you create?

I remember going to a Tori Amos concert a long time ago. This one guy kept yelling out the title of a song he wanted her to play. She finally turned to him and said, "Do I look like a juke-box?"

That said, companies like Trion do actively invite feedback. It's not really wanting something from WoW that is so bad. It's the arrogant tone in which people deride the game because it doesn't have a feature they want or the endless flame wars because most people can't seem to simply disagree without seeing the other person as their enemy.

A little empathy would go a long way.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Anyone who want a feature like wow and gives the reason for it beeing: It was in wow, or, wow did it! They are idiots and should be laughed away, Sure, some ideas are good and wow did them too, but just because wow had it doesn't mean we need it.
    Anyone like that will get the respons: If you liked it so much why aren't you playing wow?

A thing from wow that would be good in my opinion is some Add-on support, I really liked being able to make my interface look how I wanted it too. But on the other side I can see why people wouldn't want it as it might make the game easy or trivialize certain things.

Another thing from wow I'd like to see are things like /cast sequence which I found very handy but a lot of people find the current system better and I can see the advantages of it.

However, things like flying mounts, LFD (not LFG that is something else) tools and other things that only serve to trivialize aspects of the game and don't bring any advantages then: It makes my life in this game easier (and to be honest, many things people want from wow does just that) is just plain bad.

I think I went off topic somewhere in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    There was an interesting article in the NYT recently about restaurants who are returning to policies that forbid the customer altering everything. It's a fascinating topic. How much catering to your audience can you do before you lose the soul of what you create?
    I think that's a pretty dumb idea. Personal taste is personal.

Consider cilantro. Many people like it. To some people, it tastes like dish soap. The people who taste that particular chemical are never going to eat something with cilantro in it. You can either let them get fried rice without cilantro, or not sell them any fried rice.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I think that's a pretty dumb idea. Personal taste is personal.

Consider cilantro. Many people like it. To some people, it tastes like dish soap. The people who taste that particular chemical are never going to eat something with cilantro in it. You can either let them get fried rice without cilantro, or not sell them any fried rice.
    So you don't order the rice with the cilantro.

Just to be clear, the article was talking about restaurants with respected, premier chefs, not your local diner with minimum wage griddle cooks.

Perhaps we should empty the museums of the world and just put up dry erase boards for people to come in and make their own art? I know, that's an extreme example, but it isn't as cut and dried as you make it out to be. It's pretty clear that the more people who have input into something, the more likely it is to become watered-down pablum.

Where is the line? Have-it-your-way has it's downside. Look at ratings driven television. Witness movies that were created by a committee of writers and producers and vetted in focus groups before release. Take note of fast food created to appeal to as many people as possible.

We can't have it both ways. On one end we have "please everyone all the time" and on the other we have "bold vision and creative integrity". On one end you get McDonalds. On the other you get "Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark". There is a balance between giving the customer what they want, and giving them something unusual.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Well said (both posts) Kymeric.

I don't have the way with words you have, but I agree completely with what you are saying.

It's shortsighted for people to expect the creator of [insert cosumed/created item here] to cater to the individuals. Creative Integrity is exactly about letting your creation stand on it's own merits and not being completely consumed by how many and how often it rakes in the cash.

That being said though a business rarely tends to last by not catering because the money will flow to an alternate business, I don't agree with this method but it is the reality of big business. I believe that is a "greed kills" issue myself....

Anyhow... well said. Wish I was better with the written word than I am.

As I ride past you waving on my mechanical horse.

The mechanical horse and modern technology the Defiants use made popular in such legendary fantasy books and films such as ... er ... it will come to me ... nope it's a blank, technology and fantasy doesn't mix and it never has.

You came to wrong game.

I love your avi.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    I just wanted to point something out, and maybe I am trolling... You play as a Guardian then? Rift's Defiant faction has a heavy influence on "magitech" which looks pretty Sci-Fi, with a fantasy back drop. I'm not opposed to it. I think I can suspend disbelief since this is a game after all. Just pointing out this game isn't pure "Fantasy" with regards to being all Old English accents, dragons and such.

In case you didn't know.Ezekial
    You are correct on that I agree. However the machines they have and what they are are purely fictional as far as i know. No resurrection machines so its still IMO fantasy or wish list. I mainly mean things like motorcycle, flying machines, bombers, byplanes......

Rift Chaser

Good and honest reply. Thank you. I can totally get this argument also. Plus WoW is all about the pop-culture references now, totally takes you out of the experience when every quest or NPC is somehow tied to an internet meme or something similar.

To the first reply on this thread: Yeah you're probably right, but at least this guy posted nicely.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Because some of those features are good, or at the very least, we liked them.

I quit WoW a long time ago over their overt contempt for their subscribers. That doesn't mean that everything they've ever done is bad.

Are you seriously confused by the idea of people wanting things that they liked from another game added to a game that has other things that they like?

FWIW, I haven't seen anyone pushing for a cross-server LFG tool, because most people seem to prefer sticking to their own server. I've seen a lot of interest in addons, and some in stuff like flying mounts. (Me, I love flying mounts. I love being able to fly in CoH, too. I think the arguments against flight are mostly bad arguments, and I really, really, enjoy flying around.)
    While you think the argument against them is bad, I think the argument FOR them is bad. Before someone says "how is getting somewhere quicker a bad thing?!", if that extra couple minutes is what interrupts your playtime, maybe you don't have as much spare time as you'd like to play. I personally feel that flying mounts destroy the exploration in an MMO. What I mean is, every zone in WoW is flat. Very, very, very flat. To go from point a to b in a WoW zone you just point your character in that direction and auto run. There's hardly any kind of navigation, mountains to climb, caves to traverse, its easy to find exactly where to go and kills exploration for me. I dislike that. Others like it though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast