Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 104

Thread: Zam is owned by IGE aka...Gold Sellers

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default Zam is owned by IGE aka...Gold Sellers

    For those that dont know...IGE purchased Zam back in 2005.

    So if your Zam username/pw is the same as your game name/pw..

    dont be surprised if you have been hacked.

    Also..the virus banners on zam are part of zam..not some shady advertising...

    Stop using Zam,....

  2. #2
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myth1184 View Post
    For those that dont know...IGE purchased Zam back in 2005.
    Your user name is surprisingly appropriate.

    IGE purchased a number of fan sites back in 2005. In 2006, their gold selling business went to pieces. In 2007, they sold it off and decided to focus on fan sites, which made better money. They haven't had a financial connection to gold sellers since 2007.

    Seriously, is it that hard to, say, read the Wikipedia page, or any of the previous coverage of this?

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I have read it, and they are still the same, sure, they changed their name to Affinity Media when Yantis took back the company..but they are still the same.

    Wikipedia...please...

  4. #4
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Despite the tin-foil hattery of the main topic, there are some words of wisdom burried in this thread. You should never EVER use your Trion log-in credentials to sign up for another site. Shady or not, fan sites don't typically put the same resources into account security that a game company would, and if you're compromised on the fan-site the first thing they are going to do is try your credentials in the game.

    Make unique passwords for every online account you make, and write them down so you don't forget them.

  5. #5
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myth1184 View Post
    I have read it, and they are still the same
    This is not specific enough to be coherent.

    sure, they changed their name to Affinity Media when Yantis took back the company..but they are still the same.
    Same corporate entity, yes. NOT gold-sellers. They have no RMT affiliations or businesses. They ditched that business. No one disputes that it's the same holding corporation. However, no one has ever demonstrated that, even when they owned both ZAM and the RMT stuff, there was ever any leakage; in fact, there's compelling evidence that there wasn't. Now they've sold off the RMT stuff and do nothing but the fan sites.

    Wikipedia...please...
    Oh, yeah, how dare we cite to something that is more accurate than Britannica.

    Anyway, it hardly matters, since none of the actual facts are disputed. Yes, it is a corporation which used to own RMT stuff, and sold it off something like four years ago. So what? They are not now "gold sellers". They sold it off and stopped doing that a looong time ago. Why should we still care?

    I personally don't think we should. The problem here is that your allegation that they are now gold sellers contradicts every available piece of information.

  6. #6
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Despite the tin-foil hattery of the main topic, there are some words of wisdom burried in this thread. You should never EVER use your Trion log-in credentials to sign up for another site. Shady or not, fan sites don't typically put the same resources into account security that a game company would, and if you're compromised on the fan-site the first thing they are going to do is try your credentials in the game.

    Make unique passwords for every online account you make, and write them down so you don't forget them.
    Totally agreed, on this part.

  7. #7
    General of Telara Thulium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myth1184 View Post
    I have read it, and they are still the same, sure, they changed their name to Affinity Media when Yantis took back the company..but they are still the same.

    Wikipedia...please...
    Following your logic: Your OP....please...

    Your unsubstantiated claims are not any more believable to me than Wikipedia. If you want people to take your argument seriously, give us some links to press releases or other useful information.

    Not disputing your information, I just take issue with your attitude that your unreferenced opinion should be taken for fact over something that is at least peer reviewed and publicly updatable.
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

  8. #8
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Micajah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    304

    Default

    This is simply not true. It does us absolutely no good to attack the game that we're providing services for.

    For those that are interested in his references to goldselling, although Allakhazam was purchased by IGE, it never once pandered to goldselling and has since parted ways with the aforementioned company. We've always been a company that was created to provide an online service to gamers. And we'll continue to do this until there is no longer a need for our databases / resources on the market.

    From Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1..._IGE_Split.php
    Last edited by Micajah; 03-15-2011 at 07:05 AM.
    Cody "Micajah" Bye
    Director of Content - ZAM
    ZAM RIFT Database
    ZAM's Rift Soul Calculator

  9. #9
    Plane Touched AkulaX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Your user name is surprisingly appropriate.

    IGE purchased a number of fan sites back in 2005. In 2006, their gold selling business went to pieces. In 2007, they sold it off and decided to focus on fan sites, which made better money. They haven't had a financial connection to gold sellers since 2007.

    Seriously, is it that hard to, say, read the Wikipedia page, or any of the previous coverage of this?
    Even if they stopped selling gold like you say or continue to sell gold under a differnt name, they are still gold sellers, either past or present. So nothing in his post is a myth at all.

    The biggest point, however, is something I have seen people put out there before but largely ignored and lost in all the cackling of torches and pitchforks is DO NOT HAVE THE SAME EMAIL AND PASSWORD COMBINATION WHEN SIGNING UP FOR 3RD PARTY GAMING SITES AS YOU DO FOR YOUR LOGON! Those sites wont (and frankly do not need to) have the same security as is required for Trion.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Kitsuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,798

    Default

    I don't trust any of you since all your countries have done something bad in the past. Never forget, never forgive.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuner View Post
    I don't trust any of you since all your countries have done something bad in the past. Never forget, never forgive.
    Canada's never done anything bad D:

  12. #12
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkulaX View Post
    Even if they stopped selling gold like you say or continue to sell gold under a differnt name, they are still gold sellers, either past or present.
    Not true. If they stopped, they are not gold sellers, they are former gold sellers.

    So nothing in his post is a myth at all.
    Er, yes it is. He claims that the viruses come from ZAM, not from the third-party-network ads, and that's something that's specifically known to be untrue.

    The biggest point, however, is something I have seen people put out there before but largely ignored and lost in all the cackling of torches and pitchforks is DO NOT HAVE THE SAME EMAIL AND PASSWORD COMBINATION WHEN SIGNING UP FOR 3RD PARTY GAMING SITES AS YOU DO FOR YOUR LOGON! Those sites wont (and frankly do not need to) have the same security as is required for Trion.
    Yeah, this part's totally correct. But it's correct regardless of who the site is.

  13. #13
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Canada's never done anything bad D:
    I was gonna say, you burned Washington (DC) to the ground, but then, I'm not sure that's actually bad per se, and indeed, there's been times in my lifetime when I think we woulda paid you to do it again.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Your user name is surprisingly appropriate.

    IGE purchased a number of fan sites back in 2005. In 2006, their gold selling business went to pieces. In 2007, they sold it off and decided to focus on fan sites, which made better money. They haven't had a financial connection to gold sellers since 2007.

    Seriously, is it that hard to, say, read the Wikipedia page, or any of the previous coverage of this?
    Even if they don't have a tangible link to gold selling now, it's foolish to completely ignore the fact that they used to be heavily into the gold selling business, which dealt with a lot of stolen virtual currency and goods.

    IGE owned sites are notorious for being riddled with gold seller and malware infected ads. Coincidence or not, it's all the more reason to be cautious of those sites.

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Your user name is surprisingly appropriate.

    IGE purchased a number of fan sites back in 2005. In 2006, their gold selling business went to pieces. In 2007, they sold it off and decided to focus on fan sites, which made better money. They haven't had a financial connection to gold sellers since 2007.

    Seriously, is it that hard to, say, read the Wikipedia page, or any of the previous coverage of this?
    What?? What do you consider a financial connectoin to Gold Sellers? IGE is still the number one gold seller out there.

    I do not understand what you are trying to say here.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts