+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I was hacked last night!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Jondx View Post
    When will the kiddies stop blaming other people for this ****? You got hacked. That sucks, but I HIGHLY doubt it's because of Trion.

Also there are threads to post in when you get hacked. Stop making a new one crying that you did nothing wrong every time.
    Its like a four way stop. They get there 4th, the 2nd guy ignores the rule...blazes through. Then they do the same and get hit by the guy that was there first...It was the 1st guys fault.

People just dont accept personal responsibility. And yeah...go ahead and add authenticators. Then watch the QQ rain down because they have to actually pay for security because they are dumb.

I think alot of people are the same ones that call 911 because their burger isnt made their way. I also think they are the same ones that dial 411 and dont get that the guy does not know where they put their car keys.
    Last edited by Exabyssus; 03-15-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Equanimity View Post
    Serioulsy this has to be on TRIONS end.
    Sure it does.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by pacoxi View Post
    If I was a hacker, I am not going to so myself as soon as get your account info. I wait and let you reveal more about yourself. Say I get you login for a gaming site like ZAM. It trace that info to your email address and watch your address for confirmation emails from things like games in this case. When I am ready to use your account, I hit you when you least expect it, a few months/weeks after I nabbed your info, if I am smart you will most likely change a password (which I can now see because Im in your email) and then go about your way. When I am done milking you, I just take you for everything you have.

A farmer doesn't kill his dairy cow after one milking, he lets it resupply and then milks it again. Only when he can no longer milk the cow does he consider going for the kill, or selling it (in the eworld this is when someone sells you to identity thieves).

And all of those games you mentioned have their fair share of account hacks, its just not popular to post it on their forums, usually the person that has been hacked isnt able to do so anyway because the thief has completely made the account their own. Have fun complaining in WoW about your account being hacked. In WoW you are hacked for not having an authenticator and guess what, the thief puts one on for you. Can't complain on the forums if you don't have access the the authenticator.

Why on earth would anyone put in the man hours to get a couple of plat?

Hacking for gold selling is only economically viable if you can chew through large numbers of accounts quickly. Volume is what counts.

Not some Cold War-esq monitoring of someone's existence........ much more like strip mining than Eco-green-furry-hug sustainable dairy farming or whatever.

Get the resource, move on to the next.
    Last edited by Pippington; 03-15-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippington View Post
    Why on earth would anyone put in the man hours to get a couple of plat?

Hacking for gold selling is only economically viable if you can chew through large numbers of accounts quickly. Volume is what counts.

Not some Cold War-esq monitoring of someone's existence.
    From the people that fought the hackers, the hackers don't take your account like they do in say WoW, they leave it a somewhat playable condition for you to go out and get more plat for them. Strange, but that what it looks like they are doing. Someone claimed they talked to their hacker and the hacker said in more or less word they we leave the account intact so they can just come back later and rob it again. The Rift hackers are following a new business model it seems.

Champion of Telara Leggomyeggolas's Avatar

I havent been to NOT ONE other site, I have NOT bought gold! Ive not done a single thing to be hacked. So whats going on Trion?

Answers Please
    You forgot to mention that you're a security professional and you computer only has rift and a clean install of windows.
    I told you so.

Plane Touched

Ever been to Zam?
    “DEATH! DEATH ANSWERS DEFIANCE!”

Quote Originally Posted by Sempuken View Post
    you bought platinum; we all know it....just give up.
    It's not just Rift. The same plague of hacking happened in Aion a couple of months in. The thing is, the only people who got hacked in our guild were all those we suspected of buying gold and using bots.

Still, I wouldn't be too assumptive about that. We never challenged those people directly about it because we weren't all that bothered - it's just a game after all. So I can't be sure, and it may well be that there's something else going on entirely here.

Serioulsy this has to be on TRIONS end.
    It probably is something on their end. They probably are afraid to tell us what it is for fear of some sort of legal action or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by pacoxi View Post
    From the people that fought the hackers, the hackers don't take your account like they do in say WoW, they leave it a somewhat playable condition for you to go out and get more plat for them. Strange, but that what it looks like they are doing. Someone claimed they talked to their hacker and the hacker said in more or less word they we leave the account intact so they can just come back later and rob it again. The Rift hackers are following a new business model it seems.

It makes sense not to destroy everything, and to try to repeatedly hit compromised accounts (burglars do exactly the same thing - wait average insurance payout or replacement time and hit again), you've done the work the first time so a double or triple payout or whatever is just free.

But I don't think they waste any time specifically monitoring you personally or thinking about their marks in anything but the most general of terms.

You're just a number on a spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by iceperson View Post
    You forgot to mention that you're a security professional and you computer only has rift and a clean install of windows.
    LOL +1

I love how people always claim they did nothing to bring the ****storm upon themselves.

yep, I bet that real awesometastic superhackers have bothered with the work it takes to hack someone's info thru real hacking methods...and then they hacked the OP's Rift account.

not his back account.
    his Rift account

damn, hackers this days truly know what holds more value, dont they?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpus View Post
    So I can't be sure, and it may well be that there's something else going on entirely here.
    Like being stuck on stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Katnip View Post
    if this was actually on Trions end we would ALL be hacked by now.....
    Why would you expect that? It takes them a few minutes per person. There are many, many, accounts.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpus View Post
    It's not just Rift. The same plague of hacking happened in Aion a couple of months in. The thing is, the only people who got hacked in our guild were all those we suspected of buying gold and using bots.

Still, I wouldn't be too assumptive about that. We never challenged those people directly about it because we weren't all that bothered - it's just a game after all. So I can't be sure, and it may well be that there's something else going on entirely here.
    THIS !!

Its not trions fault and most of you are just computer ignorant or lieing ...

Plane Touched

If it is on Trion's end, and they know it happened, they are required by law and severe penalties for failure to do so to publicly announce it.
    Last edited by Meerletalis; 03-15-2011 at 06:35 AM.
    “DEATH! DEATH ANSWERS DEFIANCE!”

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Meerletalis View Post
    If it is on Trion's end, and they know it happened, they are required by law and severe penalties for failure to do so to publicly announce it.
    Umm...I don't think so. All the regulations regarding mandatory disclosure that I am aware of regard to financial institutions which Trion is not. The only case where they may (and I highly stress may) be required to disclose anything is if actual credit card information were compromised. First, I have not seen anyone claim that is the case and second if Trion is using even the most rudimentary of security designs, credit card information would be in a completely different system and getting into the account system would in no way give someone access to the financial system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast