+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Global Cooldown, why is it so high?

Soulwalker

Red face Global Cooldown, why is it so high?

This is my first thread on the forums. I do not have any intention of trolling, but I must know why Trion whose to set the global cooldown to 1,5 seconds?

Isn't the whole point of cast-times that spells should take time to cast? Why add 1,5 seconds on top of that?

All it does in my honest opinion is slow the game down, the combat down and make everything move less fluent. It adds unnecessary time spent between casts in PvP, and it makes the whole gameplay feel a bit dated.

Mind you, I come from both Aion and DDO, so ofcourse my opinion could be biased, but it just seem a shame to make the combat less reactive intentionally.

Are there some kind of balance-nechanic that requires this cooldown or is it simply a left-over from older games/mmorpgs?

Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Murricath View Post
    This is my first thread on the forums. I do not have any intention of trolling, but I must know why Trion whose to set the global cooldown to 1,5 seconds?
    Probably because that's what WoW uses, and it's a nice number?

Isn't the whole point of cast-times that spells should take time to cast? Why add 1,5 seconds on top of that?
    They don't.

GCD starts when you start casting a spell, if the spell takes more than 1.5 seconds to cast, there's no cooldown after it.

Are there some kind of balance-nechanic that requires this cooldown or is it simply a left-over from older games/mmorpgs?
    It's there so you can have instant abilities, basically. GCD is similar to giving everything a cast time, but instants can be used while moving, which makes life easier for some classes -- and is intended to.

It's a good mechanic. I've played games without it, and overall, I like the way the GCD system works better. If you think it's too slow, play a rogue, they have a 1s GCD.

Ascendant

thats just for us magic users, parantly they thought mages damage wasn't low enough, least clerics have good heals to survive inbetween CD

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvix View Post
    thats just for us magic users, parantly they thought mages damage wasn't low enough, least clerics have good heals to survive inbetween CD
    Get a clue please. Everyone is affected by GCD. You can't cast heals or shields when you are on GCD.

Soulwalker

Default However

It still does make the combat less immersive, atleast for me. I tried a rogue, but even with the lowered (1 second?) GCD it still felt like I could have pushed another attack in between my abilities, thus it gave me sort of a "turn-based" feeling.

It still does make the combat less immersive, atleast for me. I tried a rogue, but even with the lowered (1 second?) GCD it still felt like I could have pushed another attack in between my abilities, thus it gave me sort of a "turn-based" feeling.
    That's the whole point really. Without GCD it's a race who can spam their buttons fastest.

The point of GCDs is to make the game more thoughtful and less twitch. The length is personal but 1.5s seems to be a good median for most players. Long enough to let you think and give devs the chance to put in gcd lowering gear/stats/buffs or class specials. Short enough, for most people, to not get bored.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuner View Post
    Get a clue please. Everyone is affected by GCD. You can't cast heals or shields when you are on GCD.
    mages and clerics have a longer one though (warrs mite also but im sure they had same as rogue at least at one point)

Yeah, uhm.

1. Cut back on the amphetemines.
    2. Consider playing Street Fighter if you really feel the need to be mashing buttons to fight.

MMOs are not designed to be twitch games. They're designed to be RPG games, meaning your effectiveness is supposed to be more a question of your character statistics and the player's strategy than of button-mashing reflexes. They're supposed to have a more relaxed pace
    so you have time to think and plan.

Haha, you're all wrong. The point of a GCD is to limit server processing.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanTheBlack View Post

It also prevents burst. If a mage could spam their instant cast 5 times a second using a gamepad macro, it would be OP. Both sides are true. But really, GCD is a very very important piece of all good mmo's. Sorry.

Ascendant

I find it odd you use mage as example when we only really have cast time skills and our instants are worthless, best use a rogue or warr as example, they really would be gods of gods with no GCD instead of just gods

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvix View Post
    I find it odd you use mage as example when we only really have cast time skills and our instants are worthless, best use a rogue or warr as example, they really would be gods of gods with no GCD instead of just gods

As a rogue, you can only get around 2-3 abilities before being out of energy. And I though Pyro had an instant casts DD spell. Even with a 1.5 second GCD, we still run out of energy most of a fight as a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanTheBlack View Post
    And your basis for this assertion is...?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Yeah, uhm.

1. Cut back on the amphetemines.
    2. Consider playing Street Fighter if you really feel the need to be mashing buttons to fight.

MMOs are not designed to be twitch games. They're designed to be RPG games, meaning your effectiveness is supposed to be more a question of your character statistics and the player's strategy than of button-mashing reflexes. They're supposed to have a more relaxed pace
    so you have time to think and plan.
    What exactly did I ever do to deserve such a rude and all-out personal attack?

I simply came to these forums asking if there was a specific reasoning behind the mechanic that is GCD, but you choose to start throwing insults at me and then suggest I go play an entirely other genre of games?

I suggest you ask your parents why you weren't raised properly then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast