Closed Thread
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on Hacked Accounts

Exclamation Update on Hacked Accounts

We are aware that there are still issues with some of you being hacked. This is a top priority for us here at Trion and the team has been working to address the situation. As we posted last week, there have already been a number of updates put in place. We are also introducing another function that should make it into the game early this week.

Coin Lock

Users will be coin locked if they log in from a significantly different location or computer.* When their account is coin locked, they will be sent an email to the address that they have on their account (their login email) with a code to enter into the game.

Users will see the Coin Locked icon in the spot where their tutorial button shows up. Deactivating the tutorial tips will not turn off the Coin Locked button.

While in a Coin Locked status, users will have the following limitations:
    • No access to the auction house
    • No ability to SEND mail. Users can still receive and view mail as well as remove items from mail
    • No ability to SELL to vendors. Users can still purchase items from vendors
    • No ability to salvage, runebreak or destroy items
    • No ability to trade
    • Users can continue to play and gain coin and items, but cannot get rid of them.

If you are Coin Locked, simply click on the Coin Locked icon and enter the code found in your email from Trion.

*You will only have to enter the code once for each computer at a given location. If you play from multiple locations, or on multiple computers, you will have to enter your code the first time you log in from each new location or computer.

If you log in and your account is coin locked, check your email! Someone may have logged in from another location with your account.

If you do not receive the email, please click on the Coin Locked icon and click the “Resend” button to have the email resent to you.

If you cannot access your email or you are otherwise unable to change your Coin Locked status, please contact Customer Service.

We're also working on the addition of two-factor authentication at the login level, which will let you use an app or a cell phone as a way to ensure that you're the one logging on. (You may have heard of this in other products as a SecurID or an Authenticator.) We'll be sharing specifics on that as soon as we can as well.

If you have been hacked:

Contact Customer Support immediately. The CS Team is responding as quickly as possible to restore accounts for those who have been hit.

We assure you this matter is very important to us and we are doing everything we can to resolve your issues and safeguard your account.

*Edited to include additional info
    Last edited by Abigale; 03-14-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Plane Touched

Thanks my friends were hacked.

Rift Disciple

Reason number #723 showing that Trion is awesome and hard at work for all of us.
    Your mom likes me better...

"Mess with the Best and die like the Rest"

Great first step. Please also have detailed information of what customers can do to protect themselves. How about an authenticator too?

To all Rifters: It is your civic duty to post this in any thread complaining about lack of response.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

Rift Disciple

Awesome, how far is "significantly distant" exactly? at least this will deal with the chinese hackers at least i hope, or disuade the lower-grade ones...

Everyone, i think we should make sure our e-mail accounts for the game are secured, just as a good preventive here.

This plan is something most MMOs i don't think are really doing, seems simple just cut-off trade for a character, screw up a gold farmer, maybe this will cut down on hacking as hackers realize there really isn't any profit anymore.

STILL, in anger i bet well see characters "mysteriously" change personality as they mouth off everyone around them .

To all Rifters: It is your civic duty to post this in any thread complaining about lack of response
    Roger Willco!

.....Did you just die again?
    Last edited by Atticus Lowa; 03-13-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Telaran

+like

Great info and great support progress.

thanks

Fantastic. Trion just keeps doing things that make me wonder why someone else didn't think of it first. This limited account from a different place as well as the different rulesets on PvE and PvP servers are the two big ones. Good job Trion.
    Tyamin
    <Tuatha Dea>
    Level 31 Guardian Rogue
    Sunrest

Kidael
    <Tractus Apparatus>
    Level 16 Defiant Warrior
    Faeblight

Stop Losing! - a RIFT Warfront strategy blog (Black Garden Basics Posted!)
    @StopLosingRIFT - Official RIFT Twitter for Stop Losing!.

Ugh, I'm one of the seven people in the world that doesn't have a cell phone of any kind. No authenticator/SecurID for me, I suppose.

sounds good to me, and not too troublesome to get rid of it if it's there by mistake... My problem is I swap countries every now and them, and play on my laptop :P As well as log in at school when i have free time...
    But oh well, checking email and entering a code every now and then is a small price to pay if it removes accounts being hacked.
    ~And left, is a statue of the clearest clearest ice~
    waiting

This is a very good system, basically locks down a hacker from damaging your account, leveling you isn't really harmful :P But it would still be wise to disable buying maybe, a hacker could still buy aload of items and waste your hard earned money that way.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Ugh, I'm one of the seven people in the world that doesn't have a cell phone of any kind. No authenticator/SecurID for me, I suppose.
    I'm betting they are working on a hardware token option as well. It'd be asinine not to.

The coin lock function sounds like it could work very well. However my concern lies in the distance factor. Why not just have the authentication process just flag an IP that hasn't been used for that account, and coin lock if it's different? Most ISP's don't release someone's DHCP-issued IP very often, since broadband connections don't often lose connection long enough to lose the lease. So I don't think it's out of the question to authenticate to specific IP's, rather than IP's within a certain location.

Quote Originally Posted by Damasc View Post
    This is a very good system, basically locks down a hacker from damaging your account, leveling you isn't really harmful :P But it would still be wise to disable buying maybe, a hacker could still buy aload of items and waste your hard earned money that way.
    Yes, but unless it was a two-man scheme, it wouldn't make a profit.

On second thought... you're right. Hackers could do a scheme where someone puts some grey item on the AH for an absurd price and the second guy could hack an account and buy the item.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    We're also working on the addition of two-factor authentication at the login level, which will let you use an app or a cell phone as a way to ensure that you're the one logging on. (You may have heard of this in other products as a SecurID or an Authenticator.) We'll be sharing specifics on that as soon as we can as well.
    I'm so glad you all are planning on adding an authentication system! Thank you so much!
    Shout out to all our warfighters: veteran, active duty, reserve, and retired!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    Can't wait for this. Please make sure you support Android with the app ;-)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast