Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Account hacked, how long does restore take, and how did it happen?

Rift Chaser

Been about 24 hours for me now. I called support directly and got the issue created/escalated. I guess I should have asked for an ETA.

Incidentally, I use MSE, Malwarebytes, Spybot and Google Chrome. I guarantee I did not download anything or get phished.

Also, frankly, if someone had a keylogger on my system, they would probably get my banking and stock trading information and skip the $10 worth of plat on my Rift account. I lol that anyone thinks a keylogger is involved.
    Last edited by Slamz; 03-12-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuki View Post
    I am starting to get the slightest suspicion that the PARSER from Riftjunkies is responsible for this!
    So a heads up to all of you using it delete it asap !!
    I got hacked also never visited crappy sites had a hard to find password etc...
    the only thing i had was that parser from riftjunkies.com and since RJ is official fansite i really thought it could be trusted guess i was wrong. doubted it at first but alot of people using the parser like i did got there accounts hacked !! This isnt coincidence anymore if you ask me, so if your using it toss it right away!
    Didn't use RJ once got hacked. Most likely you have used zam. And never completely trust a fansite just hope their pages don't have malware (and never sign up for one, its where they get most account info).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mayuko View Post
    Virus scanners don't stop hackers.

Adware scanners don't stop hackers.

Firewalls don't stop hackers.

Only common sense stops hackers. You bit someones hook and he reeled you in.
    Maybe try offering advice rather then a useless post. There are limits to the extent of information people can access even if you do not protect your machine at all. There seems to be four possibilities for what is occurring.

1) A wide spread keylogging trojan that is not detectable because it was developed within the past few weeks and is only being used on Rift players. (Yeah that's plausible)
    2) Trion has a major security exploit. (Even with the financial status of Trion, they are a new company, probably getting warmer)
    3) Fan websites are proving to be malicious and/or have been compromised. (Seems very plausible, but as many others have stated, I personally have not visited or even come close to clicking a link to a fan website)
    4) Java exploit. (correlated to #3 as the only websites that would host a java exploit for stealing rift accounts would most likely be websites associated with rift)

So Mayuko since you are so knowledgeable about 'hacking,' tell me please, how my squeaky clean computer (not even **** on this machine) was compromised? Maybe you could go through my email and find all those phishing scams I responded to. For the record, I haven't even received an email related to rift after my initial sign-up.
    Last edited by MasaMura; 03-12-2011 at 02:42 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

This is why I never keep any plat on me. I can see the hacker now:

"BING! Got in....lessee what I can sell...what? NOTHING? Aw this is a jip. I wasted 4 hours...nothing, broke already."

Seriously though, OP hope you get your account back the way it was before this happened. =(

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    Another post in the long line of Rift experts that have less than 5 forums posts... have many other names here? Yeah...
    You realize the name is tied to the account right? And that I have to have a paying account to post right? And... need I go on? I know I don't have many posts, but that's because I've been playing rather than forum surfing. But I can still comment on the fact that people waiting 3+ days without even being contacted is still *unacceptable*. Can you refute?

Telaran

Wow, so I've been one of the people berating those that got hacked thinking they deserved it for clicking on something.

I just logged on to my lvl 42 and his ui is changed and everything is gone. I am a supervisor of a Geek Squad Precinct and have never had a virus/trojan in my life. I never open e-mail and the only forums i go to are these main ones and my guilds.

I can't believe it actually happened to me. Never in my life did I see this coming : (.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexor View Post
    Wow, so I've been one of the people berating those that got hacked thinking they deserved it for clicking on something.

I just logged on to my lvl 42 and his ui is changed and everything is gone. I am a supervisor of a Geek Squad Precinct and have never had a virus/trojan in my life. I never open e-mail and the only forums i go to are these main ones and my guilds.

I can't believe it actually happened to me. Never in my life did I see this coming : (.
    LOL Geek Squad. I would not admit to that on the internet(that and scientology).

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lexor View Post
    I am a supervisor of a Geek Squad Precinct and have never had a virus/trojan in my life.
    You are going to admit that?

Really?
    I really hate people.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfullysweet View Post
    This is why I never keep any plat on me. I can see the hacker now:

"BING! Got in....lessee what I can sell...what? NOTHING? Aw this is a jip. I wasted 4 hours...nothing, broke already."

Seriously though, OP hope you get your account back the way it was before this happened. =(
    Then they sell all your purples to the vendor and mail the 1 plat they go to their gold sellers, and laugh at you when they see your character in-game.

Edit: In name of productivity, does anyone actually have an accurate estimate? Most of the 3-4 days estimates are from a week ago, I would hope they would have at least hired a few more customer service reps in the past week.
    Last edited by MasaMura; 03-12-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Vlas View Post
    Do you have an account on a social media site, or social gaming site that has the same password?

If so, which?

Also, change your in game password to something different.
    I use a different password for everything, most of which are more than 16 characters, with numbers
    My Defiant characters on Dayblind (PvP-US)

Markz - Level 30 Cleric (Shaman/Druid/Inquisitor)
    Marikus - Mage
    Markthar - Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Auton View Post
    You realize the name is tied to the account right? And that I have to have a paying account to post right? And... need I go on? I know I don't have many posts, but that's because I've been playing rather than forum surfing. But I can still comment on the fact that people waiting 3+ days without even being contacted is still *unacceptable*. Can you refute?
    There are Dozens of trolling handles here... fact of life.

There are also dozens of posts concerning this subject already, that's why Admins lock the repeats.
    Last edited by Wonk; 03-12-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mayuko View Post
    Virus scanners don't stop hackers.

Adware scanners don't stop hackers.

Firewalls don't stop hackers.

Only common sense stops hackers. You bit someones hook and he reeled you in.
    Most likely not, i am very careful about everything I do online, never been hacked once in my life, now this happens in this game, out of nowhere, and with no idea as of how
    My Defiant characters on Dayblind (PvP-US)

Markz - Level 30 Cleric (Shaman/Druid/Inquisitor)
    Marikus - Mage
    Markthar - Warrior

Six days since my account was hacked and still no response other than the cut and paste statement that they are busy and will get to me real soon now.
    We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games. Anon.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Markz85 View Post
    I use a different password for everything, most of which are more than 16 characters, with numbers
    Hmm, then there are one of two possibilities. You have a keylogger on your system or Trion was compromised.

Which seems more plausible to you?
    I really hate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Burrowed View Post
    You did a full scan in 10 minutes?

Quick scans will never find a well made virus, regardless of AV.
    SSD's scan fast

another thing i noticed is that all my key bindings are reset as well

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast