Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ZAM site and malware?

Shadowlander

Default ZAM site and malware?

I was reading a Riftstalker thread (actually a guide) from the Rogue forum, and in that thread there were links to the ZAM site, for the detail information on the various skills.

I just found it annoying and a bit strange that i on some of the links, got malware pushed in my face from freeantiviral.com trying to make me "push" the wrong buttons to initiate a "complete virus check", since it claimed to have found various Trojan vira on my pc (right lol).

So ZAM, whats the story? aren't you responsible for what goes on, on your site?

It was from this thread, where the abilities are listed.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Mechanics-2.0
    Again, clicking the links in the linked thread, is at own risk

P.S MSE didn't find anything wrong on pc.

Well just incase remove the link, don't want others possibly getting infected now do we..

AdBlock,
    because it's worth it.

I had that too. It just forced me to quit my browser, ans start over. There was only a " yes" option, and no " no" option.
    Officially owned by Alsbeth the Discordant.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=815027&dateline=13020  88690

Elitists and game programmers think alike; The first thinks the game is too easy, the other nerfs the crap out of them.

That actually isn't ZAM itself, it's the ad network that they are using that pushes those advertisements.

I find it truly baffling that the sites that have grown up around RIFT have fallen under such intense scrutiny when they are no better or worse than the sites that have sprung up around any number of other MMORPGs.

One would think that people have only just become aware that malware exists in ad networks and on websites on the internet.

Truly curious.

While browsing the warrior forums I clicked on a persons build link from Zam builder and got a cross script warning from xp.

You need to be real carefull about clicking on any links in the forums.

I have been playing mmo's since EQ ( my first pc game was Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on a Commador 64) and have never been hacked in any game. I did once get a key logger from Perfect worlds but my AV caught it as it was trying to get on my pc.
    Last edited by Alteherr; 03-12-2011 at 04:31 AM.

I had the same problem. I went to Zam recently for a soul link and the next day someone attempted to access my account from a different IP. Not saying it's connected neccesarily but It didn't happen until right after a zam visit. I just stopped using the site as I've heard alot of others say the same thing.

Shadowlander

Would have loved an official ZAM statement on this...
    Are they actively pushing this out to hack visitors?
    Are they used by a 3rd party who uses ZAM to push their **** out?

I actually think the exploit is coming from WoW sites. ZAM links to wowhead. A lot of people that browse ZAM probably browsed wowhead in the past, or any other 3rd party WoW site. Most of those sites have had some sort of infection at one time or another, I remember throttbot bot (another site that ZAM links to) gave malware out like candy, MMO Champ has had some pretty bad bugs also. WoWwiki was another that has been compromised in the past.

Then you have Curse, a lot of people got their beta keys from Curse. Curse has been known for having leaky ads in the past. Gold sellers watch these sites carefully whether its apparent or not. Best to get NoScript and a Firewall ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoxi View Post
    I actually think the exploit is coming from WoW sites. ZAM links to wowhead. A lot of people that browse ZAM probably browsed wowhead in the past, or any other 3rd party WoW site. Most of those sites have had some sort of infection at one time or another, I remember throttbot bot (another site that ZAM links to) gave malware out like candy, MMO Champ has had some pretty bad bugs also. WoWwiki was another that has been compromised in the past.

Then you have Curse, a lot of people got their beta keys from Curse. Curse has been known for having leaky ads in the past. Gold sellers watch these sites carefully whether its apparent or not. Best to get NoScript and a Firewall ASAP.
    That's right. It isn't ZAM, it is the world of warcraft websites.
    Go to the WOW forums and complain that WOW sites are infecting your computers with viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetaljacket View Post
    I was reading a Riftstalker thread (actually a guide) from the Rogue forum, and in that thread there were links to the ZAM site, for the detail information on the various skills.

I just found it annoying and a bit strange that i on some of the links, got malware pushed in my face from freeantiviral.com trying to make me "push" the wrong buttons to initiate a "complete virus check", since it claimed to have found various Trojan vira on my pc (right lol).

So ZAM, whats the story? aren't you responsible for what goes on, on your site?

It was from this thread, where the abilities are listed.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Mechanics-2.0
    Again, clicking the links in the linked thread, is at own risk

P.S MSE didn't find anything wrong on pc.
    That's scareware, not malware.

Lame? Yes. Dangerous? Rarely.

As usual, AdBlock or gtfο.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

ZAM is a rats' nest of trojans and key loggers; it always has been and it always will be. Curse, Thottbott, and wikis are bad too.

It's unfortunate that there are genuine good people trying to help everyone out getting shot down in the mix there, but the hackers know where the popular sites are and blend right in there too. The only way to avoid the hackers/embedded key loggers is to stop using those sites, period.

And I will take this moment to add that those who buy gold online are actually at the root of the whole hacking problem today. Gold farmers/organized crime (for that's what it truly is) never would have survived or gotten this far if players would stop being lazy and wanting to cheat their way to the end game instead of just playing the danged game as it is like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSiren View Post
    ZAM is a rats' nest of trojans and key loggers; it always has been and it always will be. Curse, Thottbott, and wikis are bad too.

It's unfortunate that there are genuine good people trying to help everyone out getting shot down in the mix there, but the hackers know where the popular sites are and blend right in there too. The only way to avoid the hackers/embedded key loggers is to stop using those sites, period.
    I agree. The solution is not to use ANY WEBSITE AT ALL that offers any assistance on World of Warcraft, AIOn, RIFT or any other MMORPG. Never visit any of those sites. And never download any software at all for those games Don't even use WOW Add-Ons.

Also, don't use these forums either.

If you use ZAM sites for anything, WOW or Rift related you are an idiot and deserve what you get.

It sure is golly gee great that one of the ZAM guys posts on these forums about how clean their site is...well its BS. Don't get me wrong, I am not claiming they are complicit in the stuff that is coming off their site but they sure as heck could get more proactive.

Think about it. If you were a hacker where would you focus your efforts to deposit injection attacks and malware laced advertisements? The sites where people who play the game and go for "information" visit the most.

ZAM folks might have the best of intentions but it doesn't change one single thing about the fact that they are a primary means to deliver the attacks the hackers need to perform to get account information.

Shadowlander

Just make sure your browser is secure and be smart and it shouldn't matter.
    This is Your Brain on Drugs
    This is Your Brain on Rift
    http://www.RiftBrain.com (A Rift Database)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast