Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ZAM site and malware?

If the site respects their user base they would do something about it to put people at eaze, seems they can't be bothered, so what does that tell you..

RIFT Fan Site Operator Arianera's Avatar

The rage and naivete of folks regarding ads on sites is getting so trying.

Every site on the internet uses advertising of some form. Those that use large ad networks are always at risk of showing ads that may not be safe. Such is the "cost" of using large networks. Most large websites who use such advertisement networks employ people to monitor said ads. And have them blocked as they happen. Much like how Virus protection software constantly updates their program when new attacks or risks become known. It's an ongoing effort.

That said, it is YOUR browser and YOUR computer that needs to be secured. Anywhere you go online, at any time, could make your computer vulnerable. Maybe you shouldn't use the internet, ever. Or leave your house. The sky might fall, or you may be hit by a bus! If you "what if" yourself over every little thing, you would cease to function at all, wouldn't you?

Instead of raging against this site or that site, do something useful. Protect *yourself*. And if you don't take the simple steps to do that - then it's your own darn fault if your pc becomes vulnerable. Yours and yours alone.
    Site Owner of Rift-Craft.com Crafting Guides ~ @RiftCraft - Check out the Rune Search Database!
    Looking for a programmer to help me update Rift-Craft.com to Storm Legion. I could use some help please.
    Chiana 60 Defiant Cleric | Lirra 60 Defiant Rogue | Ruala 60 Defiant mage | members of Dirty Deeds on Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Codebreaker View Post
    If the site respects their user base they would do something about it to put people at eaze, seems they can't be bothered, so what does that tell you..
    Again, we will be issuing a statement today about these threads / how to secure your computer. We *are* bothered by all of this, believe me.
    Cody "Micajah" Bye
    Director of Content - ZAM
    ZAM RIFT Database
    ZAM's Rift Soul Calculator

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Arianera View Post
    Every site on the internet uses advertising of some form.
    Well this is just patently false. My personal site has absolutely 0 ads on it. I have no desire to monetize it.

Those that use large ad networks are always at risk of showing ads that may not be safe. Such is the "cost" of using large networks. Most large websites who use such advertisement networks employ people to monitor said ads. And have them blocked as they happen. Much like how Virus protection software constantly updates their program when new attacks or risks become known. It's an ongoing effort.
    This is true. It is also true that the reason most sites with ads think it is worth the cost to sanitize said ads is because their customer base complains and stops using their services if they don't. So this thread and others like it are working as intended.

That said, it is YOUR browser and YOUR computer that needs to be secured. Anywhere you go online, at any time, could make your computer vulnerable. Maybe you shouldn't use the internet, ever. Or leave your house. The sky might fall, or you may be hit by a bus! If you "what if" yourself over every little thing, you would cease to function at all, wouldn't you?

Instead of raging against this site or that site, do something useful. Protect *yourself*. And if you don't take the simple steps to do that - then it's your own darn fault if your pc becomes vulnerable. Yours and yours alone.
    It is also true that everyone on the internet is responsible for their own safety. However to follow on with your somewhat flawed analogy, what you're saying is that if you are hit by a bus, the bus driver is not culpable?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
    Exactly. I got a trojan at work from one of those ads in question not long after I started to visit their soul calculator site. I haven't gotten any more infections after I stopped visiting them.
    And you can prove without a doubt that this supposed trojan came from their site? I mean you are using a work computer to surf a gaming site.. am I to accept thats the only site youd surf at work?
    Last edited by theranknight; 03-15-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Micajah View Post
    Again, we will be issuing a statement today about these threads / how to secure your computer. We *are* bothered by all of this, believe me.
    If you're truly concerned with the security of the Rift community, you'd stop hosting third party ads on your site.

They are one of the main sources of account security issues for Rift, yet you beg people to white list your ads. I get that it's so you get revenue, but seriously, you're asking people to open themselves up to infection for your own gain.

Sorry, but conflicting interests are at play.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by EBGreen View Post
    It is also true that everyone on the internet is responsible for their own safety. However to follow on with your somewhat flawed analogy, what you're saying is that if you are hit by a bus, the bus driver is not culpable?
    Hes not if it midnight on a road with no streetlights and is pouring the rain and your dressed from head to toe in black with no reflective material.

Telaran

Flawed analogy is flawed.

Soulwalker

Smile

Alot of people recommending security measures, good good.

From a technican point of view, id like to recommend less tech savy users this combination:

firefox + flashblock + adblock plus

without noscript, since it usually confuses people when it breaks webpage functionality (this means users are more likely to turn it off). The above combination takes cares of all your ad blocking needs + if adblock would fail, you wont load any unknown flash ads or objects.

And if you want further protection, noscript (which is great dont get me wrong ) could be added.
    Bumpy - Cleric - Sparkwing

Quote Originally Posted by Ceridith View Post
    If you're truly concerned with the security of the Rift community, you'd stop hosting third party ads on your site.
    Unless they have multiple conflicting desires, such as the desire to stay in business which requires revenue.

I think their solution -- actively policing the third party ads -- is a pretty good start.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by EBGreen View Post
    WHowever to follow on with your somewhat flawed analogy, what you're saying is that if you are hit by a bus, the bus driver is not culpable?
    Fine replace hit by a bus as struck by lightning. He was just using a commonly used phrase for something out of your control. And please do go into some type of culpability of a higher power.

Telaran

How about instead of focusing on the as stated flawed analogy we focus on the point that yes people are responsible for protecting themselves on the internet but at the same time web sites are responsible for protecting their visitors. So in that light there is nothing wrong with complaining that Zam clearly has issues with the ads that they are serving. It appears that they plan to address the issue and if they do I applaud them.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by zachary4828 View Post
    After reading your reply I was hacked by a Muslim extremist; I'm not saying it's connected necessarily.
    Exactly. The flames from the fanbois are keeping me warm here in the cold Midwest today. And providing me with a good laugh. Yeah, it's the WoW websites hacking you. Of course. And it's a big conspiracy, they pay users to buy the game, post here, and link to ZAM's soul builder so the evil ads ZAM puts up on purpose with keyloggers can steal your platinum. That's got to be it. No other explanations at all. Couldn't have stolen your info from here being as we're all logged in on an unsecured forum with the same credentials we use in-game...just putting that out there while we're speculating as fact.

You should consider any and all websites you visit to be potentially harmful to your computer and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Alteherr View Post
    ( my first pc game was Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on a Commador 64) and have never been hacked in any game.

You mean the Text-adventure by Infocom? That's hilarious, wasn't my first game but I bought it for my Commodore 64 as well. Along with a bunch of other Infocom games.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast