+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malcolm said some Dynamic Events will last a few days! Really?

Default Malcolm said some Dynamic Events will last a few days! Really?

Some Dynamic Events will last a few days. How epic will that be?
    I wonder if these week long events will be both in low and high level zones. What could such a Dynamic Event consist of?

So far, the only Dynamic Contents we know of, are Rifts. Rifts appear to be nothing more than a new way of NPC Mob spawning. How will this be extended to last for multiple days?

this spans into concern I have about rifts. How often do developers plan on Rifts to get out of control, to the point of being a major threat?
    Last edited by tro44; 12-12-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Uhh...gimmie a link to where he says that

He said they theoretically -could- last for a few days. He's not a Dev, remember..

He said it in the Into the Rifts video, but they asked Malcolm questions after we had played for maybe..4 hours.. for the record.

Rift Disciple

A rift if left unchecked turns into an invasion, which if left unchecked can get pretty darn nasty as far as what I've seen on the released videos. So I assume if a rift pops @ 3am eastern in a low-population zone it has every ability to spawn an invasion that could take a week to beat down.

I could be way off the mark since I didn't make it into the last beta and they didn't turn invasions on till the last day (not NDA breaking as Abby said it on a podcast).

I'd like to see them do a test server wher Rifts have taken over the entire game world just to see what its like. Now that would be interesting.
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Quote Originally Posted by Delith View Post
    He said they theoretically -could- last for a few days. He's not a Dev, remember..

He said it in the Into the Rifts video, but they asked Malcolm questions after we had played for maybe..4 hours.. for the record.
    Feel free to ask me questions. I played Beta for closer to 40. ;)

(p.s. Again with the NEW THREADS when you haven't even taken the time to clarify your wording in your OLD ones.)
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

Thats what I thought...Maeloda was completely misunderstood, he said it -could- last for a few days, and he only played for like 4 hours when they pulled him out

Corwynn.. I was at Gamer Day, what makes you think I'm not in VIP? ;)

But really, the Rifts can be a lot more than what you have seen from what I understand, at Gamer Day they mentioned raid rifts, ect.

Honestly though, I'd be careful to not discern what that video says as fact - it is a PR video and a lot of it is accurate but the people talking are all giving you THEIR impressions of the game and how it felt.

From what I was reading out of the last live chat session the rifts will be "customizable"... Invasion forces taking city's would be a bit bland if they reset every few hours imo.

"Warehouse asks: Can you explain how the real time editing works? (how a developer can tweak things while the servers remain online)?
    <%PeterJu> So in terms of real time editing on the servers, in general we want everything to be coordinated and scheduled ahead of time so that no one has to worry about that stuff, but there are hooks and controls in there to change game parameters on the fly as well as starting authored scripted events on the fly
    <%PeterJu> there are also hooks into our rift/invasion/foothold system
    <%PeterJu> These hooks are for emergencies and when our cs dept just wants to have fun I guess

Steve Chamberlin and Peter Ju engineering Chat Log (Dec 10)
    Last edited by Yadin; 12-12-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    I am the bad man that came and conquered, then stayed...

Corwynn.. I was at Gamer Day, what makes you think I'm not in VIP? ;)
    It wasn't aimed at you. It was a random stab at the silly factor of quoting a player.

But really, the Rifts can be a lot more than what you have seen from what I understand, at Gamer Day they mentioned raid rifts, ect.
    I suspect we've only seen a small part of what they can be and (NDA NDA NDA NDA) we'll have to wait until release to see what happens in the live version of the game before it becomes apparent what impact Rifts of various types have.
    Last edited by Corwynn_Maelstrom; 12-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Precisely.. you're under NDA. What I saw at Gamer Day is not under NDA.

Hi.

The other posts are correct. They COULD stay there for days, if not collapsed, etc, but likely more like hours. Again like others have said, we've seen a part of what is there, but not all of it - this is for certain.

Dynamic events in Rift, on launch, are mostly the rifts/footholds/invasions, but the system holds promise of being implemented in other areas of the world-building and types of gameplay.

It *is* just a new way of mob-spawning (as its base), but I'm very sure we'll see other ways this can be made to be exciting and dangerous for players.

EDIT: And I must point out again that my words came from:

1)A heck of a fanboy day (though I think we mostly went in with level heads)
    2)3-5 hours of playing the game, which isn't much, but included Lv 1 to Level 10-15 (11-12 for me), at least one Lv 30ish dungeon run, and a little PvP.
    3)I know I talked straight for at least 5 minutes, but was there for likely 10+. I don't even remember most of the things I said. It wasn't scripted in the least, but it IS a PR video and should be taken as such. I don't recall either of my quotes being actually incorrect (even with it being edited a little).
    Last edited by Maeloda; 12-12-2010 at 04:23 PM.

1)A heck of a fanboy day (though I think we mostly went in with level heads)
    This, so much this...having a bunch of Devs, Russ Brown and Scott Hartsman go into full on cheer mode when I dinged 10 was all kinds of awesome.

So the basic gist is: we'll see next year.

Soulwalker

Honestly, what's going to be interesting is that at launch, all of the high level rifts will automatically open and take over the zones they are in. The first players to reach new zones are going to have to take back the world in order to make use of it - and THOSE will be dynamic events that lasted for days, at the least.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast