+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [DKP Assistance] Loot Received, Party Join/Quit Log

Default [DKP Assistance] Loot Received, Party Join/Quit Log

Hello all,

As recently seen in the IRC chat log (here) Trion is 'up' on the idea of addons and mods as long as they don't feature a "play-by-numbers" motif.

One AddOn that I have found previously very helpful for administering raids while still allowing the raid leader/officers to focus on what they're doing without too much distraction is the presence of a log that tracks:
    • Which bosses were killed (and who was present when it happened)
    • What loot dropped
    • Who received it
    • Log when people leave/join the raid
    • When the first mob died (ideally a log of the time every mob died would be handy, albeit large)
    • Other miscellaneous statistics you might care to add (player deaths and times, so we can keep score for the mobs?)
    This kind of functionality allows players charged with running a raid (usually already a bit stressful) to be able to later access important data which is very beneficial for guilds utilizing any sort of loot distribution system that requires data from beyond one run.

The ability to dump this data to either a human readable file or a tab delimited file that could be then parsed would just be gravy on top.

If this sounds like a good idea, or if you would like something more flushed in terms of the particulars please let me know and I would be happy to accomadate.

Forum goers, if you have suggestions or if I have left out some functionality you think would be beneficial, please post and let your voice be heard.
    Last edited by AvianSun; 12-12-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Misspelled a word, FOR SHAME!
    The living are but a rare breed of the Dead.

I want a add on that displays when I get a proc. WoW recently added this feature, and its great. Idea came from an Addon.

I would like the same in Rift.

/log creates a log file that can be viewed later. This includes combat , members in raid etc if you do /who check when you need to know whos there for start and stop of raiding etc. the file also supports a timestamp if thats a issue.

A screenshot solves all the issues you posted with the addition to the above.

Quote Originally Posted by xxar View Post
    /log creates a log file that can be viewed later. This includes combat , members in raid etc if you do /who check when you need to know whos there for start and stop of raiding etc. the file also supports a timestamp if thats a issue.

A screenshot solves all the issues you posted with the addition to the above.
    So, you're saying "/log" exports the information currently in your chat?
    Nice.

And yes, while screenshotting does usually do the job, managing a pile of screenshots is not as handy as one stop shopping.

One thing I forgot to mention, and a particular flaw of the "/log" if it works the way I imagine it to, is when the raid leader disconnects unexpectedly.
    I don't know if this resets your chat log in Rift, but it certainly does in a number of other MMOs and then data is lost.
    It would be great if a company delivered addon contained persistent data that wasn't tied to any one user.
    As a third party mod, this was accomplished by sharing a unique raid ID with other clients running the same addon.

It creates a seperate txt file for the information. That file is on going , it shows your log in and outs as well if thats a concern of yours.

Champion of Telara Hackiedoodle's Avatar

Heck, I used to just run an Excel sheet during raids, and take care of everything during trash pulls.
    Krimhilde, Warrior
    Ambya, Cleric

See this is where alot of the older gamers have a bad view of some addons. Its already in game , why waste or create something that exists . I am not saying its a bad or negative concept but you already have the tools available.

Hack and milwaukee for the win ... small world after all.

See this is where alot of the older gamers have a bad view of some addons. Its already in game , why waste or create something that exists . I am not saying its a bad or negative concept but you already have the tools available.
    I wouldn't have minded using the addon myself, but I just never felt like finding one I liked, downloading and configuring. XD

Hack and milwaukee for the win ... small world after all.
    You're gonna hate me... I'm not from Milwaukee, actually. I've been here for two years, moved up from Georgia, and it's TOO DANG COLD. I miss my mild winters, and this snow can seriously go to Hell.

But y'all got some great things- cheese curds, fried cheese curds, feckin' Sassy Cow Eggnog (omgggggg), Jimmy Johns DDDDD.

I miss the soul food though. :\
    Krimhilde, Warrior
    Ambya, Cleric

A) I am an older gamer, I view addons as tools.
    Like all tools ultimately the USE of the tool dictates my view as positive or negative.
    If you use your hammer to pound nails in the proper place, bueno.
    If you use your hammer to pound neighbors who walk on your lawn, no bueno.

B) Trion has stated they are looking into adding additional 'addons' post-release.
    I see an opportunity for a streamlined addon that *should* be low controversy and ease a job.

C) It's kind of in game.
    Parsing the log is something you either have to do manually or spin up a parser.
    Not the end of the world, but with minimal effort something much nicer could be made part of the "official" package.
    Accessibility is often a good thing as it would allow people who might not feel comfortable around a parser to access and utilize the data.
    More people running more raids is not a negative to me.

D) I've done the spreadsheet thing, the text file thing, the database thing... all of which are subject to human error or the occasional slip.

E) Having an "official" transcript also alleviates some of the concern that raiders have of not being counted.

Abandoning the letter system because that's getting silly, but the essence of what I consider a "good" addon is something that takes in game functionality, enhances the presentation or breadth slightly and doesn't give people using the addon any distinct advantage over those who don't.

Much of the organization is often done during trash pulls, which often means at least one person either afk or at less than 100%.

I would by no means delay release for a function like this, but in the "low hanging fruit" column, this makes sense to me.
    Last edited by AvianSun; 12-12-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Tried to de-wallify the text, didn't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackiedoodle View Post
    I wouldn't have minded using the addon myself, but I just never felt like finding one I liked, downloading and configuring. XD

You're gonna hate me... I'm not from Milwaukee, actually. I've been here for two years, moved up from Georgia, and it's TOO DANG COLD. I miss my mild winters, and this snow can seriously go to Hell.

But y'all got some great things- cheese curds, fried cheese curds, feckin' Sassy Cow Eggnog (omgggggg), Jimmy Johns DDDDD.

I miss the soul food though. :\
    You dont like the 2 feet of snow we are getting as I write this ? Also ... dont forget the Kringle

I never said it does not make sense, hence why I said its not good or bad. I said you already have the tools to do exactly what your looking for.

You dont like the 2 feet of snow we are getting as I write this ? Also ... dont forget the Kringle
    Oh man, I got some of those Kringles from a Woodman's nearby. Those are so awesome, especially when they're heated up.

As for the snow, noooooo... I hate it. I thought snow was this wonderful, magical thing that you saw on Charlie Brown and dreamed about. Oh boy, did that change.
    Krimhilde, Warrior
    Ambya, Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Hackiedoodle View Post
    ...As for the snow, noooooo... I hate it. I thought snow was this wonderful, magical thing that you saw on Charlie Brown and dreamed about...

I recently moved to Southern California from Boston...
    I can honestly say so far not having to scrape off my car, shovel or snow blow makes me feel like I'm cheating at winter.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by AvianSun View Post
    I recently moved to Southern California from Boston...
    I can honestly say so far not having to scrape off my car, shovel or snow blow makes me feel like I'm cheating at winter.
    Being able to see which lane you are in while driving is nice too.
    What part of ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast