Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexy Armor & Men Who Play Female Chars

Telaran

Post Sexy Armor & Men Who Play Female Chars

First of all, it's disturbing to me that this is such a big deal to some of you. That in itself says something about the MMORPG community and western culture. Second of all, there are far better resources for viewing sexy women--real women even--than MMORPGs. And finally, there are far more important things that this game needs changed than the sexiness of the armor.

Regardless, I can't help but wonder if there is some degree of homoerotism present in male players who like to pretend that they're female in a video game (some going as far as naming their characters feminine names), and then take it even further by actuallly complaining that their character's armor isn't sexy enough. You do realize that there are going to be mostly other male players who are just as pathetic as you who are going to be drooling over your in-game character, correct? And doing God knows what while they look at them... And that you're basically a virtual cross dresser? I always wondered if some of you get off on knowing that there are other male players who find your female characters sexually attractive.

Some virtual cross dressers have given me the excuse, "What would you rather look at: a female, or a male?" Well, first of all, we're talking about pixels here; I don't play MMORPGs to scout out attractive male and female pixels. Also, you could use that same justification for cross dressing in real life. "What would you rather look at: a male, or a female? I'd rather look at a female, which is why I pretend to be one in real life. I put on my mother's clothes, her makeup, call myself Sally, and then look in the mirror."

One final thought: most of the female players that I've encountered in MMORPGs exclusively play female characters--and the ones who do play male characters do so to hide from the cross dressing weirdos who drool over pixels. Perhaps there is some kind of gender confusion going on in most of the men who play MMORPGs?
    Last edited by Sarrum; 03-10-2011 at 12:14 PM.

In before "You like staring at a mans butt that makes you gayer than me".

Soulwalker

sounds like that psych degree you got online is being put to good use.

Plane Walker

I used to always use male characters in games and still do for single player games.

But for some reason I tried a female character in WoW, after I already had a max level male character, and I liked it.

I can't really explain it, but its almost kind of soothing focusing on a female character. It's like when I play a male character I focus on the world and events around me. When I play a female character, I focus on the character itself.

"Western Culture"?

Take a look at Tera.

Open the door. Get on the floor.
    Everybody walk the dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    when I play a male character I focus on the world and events around me. When I play a female character, I focus on the character itself.
    That's to be expected from a male, but odd as far as game effectiveness goes. What I mean is, wouldn't it be better to focus on the world and events around you when playing a game?

Regardless, I can't help but wonder if there is some degree of homoerotism present in male players who like to pretend that they're female in a video game (some going as far as naming their characters feminine names), and then take it even further by actuallly complaining that their character's armor isn't sexy enough. You do realize that there are going to be mostly other male players who are just as pathetic as you who are going to be drooling over your in-game character, correct? And doing God knows what while they look at them... And that you're basically a virtual cross dresser? I always wondered if some of you get off on knowing that there are other male players who find your female characters sexually attractive.
    Why does it matter? What does it matter if some guy likes having a female toon and putting her "sexy" armour? What does it matter if someone else finds that physically attractive and "does stuff" looking at a screen shot? Really. I'm curious as to why people seem to care so much.
    Hell, you yourself started the thread going on about "why do people care" why do YOU care?

Just let people do/be who/what they want to be. People need to stop worrying what other people are or are not doing inside the video game and concentrate on doing what THEY want to do.
    Ohnoes! There's WoW in my Rift and Rift in my WoW!

Soulwalker

You are confused, about a great many things I'm sure.

Oh this again.

It seems odd to me that in a game where you spend 99.9% of your time murdering things and taking their stuff that there's so much worry about whether that girl character stabbing that guy and stealing his things is really a girl in real life or might be a guy playing a girl who spends all her time killing and looting.
    BLIZZARD: First off, it's important that everyone remembers that feedback needs to remain constructive... using profanity in your posts, no matter how strongly you may feel about something, is not appropriate.
    TRION: If something ****ing pisses someone off to the point of ****ing smashing their ****ing keyboard Hearing it in those words, helps.

Default maturity?

I'm wondering if you aren't quite secure enough in your own sexuality yet, this usually comes with age.

I am a married man with a daughter and I play both sexes in MMO's, and crazily enough I even use female names for female characters. At some point you realized that it's not whats on the outside that defines you, but what is on the inside.

This is a fantasy world, you can do anything you want. Playing a female character doesn't mean that I want to be a woman, it means I like that character model better than another. That's all it really is, a model.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Ben Franklin

I play male or female characters.

I don't play it to stare at sexy armor. I've got a sexy girlfriend if I want sexy.

I play it because it doesn't really matter. It's a game.

It's even better when I give her a males name. Usually, it's a female name though.

I think half of the males in the guild started female characters just for the heck of it.

Shrug.
    Last edited by Ixath; 03-10-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sarrum View Post
    First of all, it's disturbing to me that this is such a big deal to some of you. That in itself says something about the MMORPG community and western culture.
    Violence is healthier.

Second of all, there are far better resources for viewing sexy women--real women even--than MMORPGs. And there are far more important things that this game needs changed than the sexiness of the armor.
    It's actually not that easy while the Rift client is up and I'm playing it. Even if I had naked girls on tv I would have to look away from the computer. You are aware that they DID change the appearance of girls, to be more boring and nun-like? They should not have done that and I will be enraged if they do it again.

Regardless, I can't help but wonder if there is some degree of homoerotism present in male players who like to pretend that they're female in a video game (some going as far as naming their characters feminine names)
    Having a female character because I like to look at naked girls is the opposite of this. Feminine names and pretending to be a girl is pretty gay or hardcore trolling though. I don't think they would disagree with you, so whats your point?

and then take it even further by complaining that their character's armor isn't sexy enough. You do realize that there are going to be mostly other male players who are just as pathetic as you who are going to be drooling over your in-game character, correct? And doing God knows what while they look at them... And that you're basically a virtual cross dresser? I always wondered if some of you get off on knowing that other male players find your female character attractive.
    It's nice to bring happiness to people, especially myself. Getting naked and dancing has saved my life more than a few times from horny gankers. It's a little weird in this game if they can talk to me and question my sexuality.

Some have given me the excuse, "What would you rather look at: a female, or a male?" Well, first of all, we're talking about pixels here.
    What would you rather look at on a computer. A picture of a real naked man or a real naked woman? The picture is from a real person, but just pixels. It only looks like a real person.

And third of all, you can use this same excuse for cross dressing in real life. "What would you rather look at: a male, or a female? I'd rather look at a female, which is why I pretend to be one in real life. I put on my mother's clothes, her makeup, call myself Sally, and then look in the mirror."
    Real life is a first person game. This game you spend most of your time behind the character. If it was a cross dresser, I could tell that the hips are too square and it wouldn't look very much like a girl. Plus in real life I am constantly role playing my character, I dont role play a girl in rift and yes that would be gay if I did (nothing wrong with that).

One final thought: most of the female players that I've encountered in MMORPGs exclusively play female characters--and the ones who do play male characters do so to hide from the cross dressing weirdos who drool over pixels.
    No they hide from RPing males who want to find a virtual RPing girlfriend by flirting with female characters, ignoring or not knowing that they are mostly dudes.

Perhaps there is some kind of gender confusion going on in most of the men who play MMORPGs?
    Are you a troll? My post was important for society anyway. OP tried to cyber with a dude and now rages.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Lollie View Post
    That's to be expected from a male, but odd as far as game effectiveness goes. What I mean is, wouldn't it be better to focus on the world and events around you when playing a game?
    When I am doing something like a raid or pvp, I obviously focus on objectives.

But when doing stuff like grinding, farming, questing, etc... where its mindless gameplay, thats when I focus on the character.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Leliya View Post
    Why does it matter? What does it matter if some guy likes having a female toon and putting her "sexy" armour? What does it matter if someone else finds that physically attractive and "does stuff" looking at a screen shot? Really. I'm curious as to why people seem to care so much.
    Hell, you yourself started the thread going on about "why do people care" why do YOU care?
    You can say that about absolutely everything. Who cares if Hitler killed Jews? Who cares that the sun is hot? Who cares?

In other words, you're not making any point.

Just let people do/be who/what they want to be.
    it seems hypocritical to me for a person to criticize another for not letting others do what they want to do. I'm doing what I want to do right now, but you're telling me that I shouldn't do what I'm doing. That's a self-contradiction.

It might have something to do with the male characters all looking like they're constipated, or clueless.

Then again, you might have over-analyzed this so much you've come full-circle and are now grasping at straws. It's really not worth putting this much time and effort into thinking about it. It's a game. People pay their $15 to enjoy it; how they enjoy it is their business.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast