+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why play vs bots when u can play vs real people.

Rift Disciple

Default Why play vs bots when u can play vs real people.

I never understood why people enjoy fighting AI so much. Games like starcraft with 10v1 COMP STOMPS and PvE instances where you basically fight a scripted, mentally inferior AI. What is the reasoning behind this? Grats, you managed to defeat an inferior opponent?

PvPers pvp because of the challenge. Nothing is smarter ( or dumber ) than another human being. Knowing that you are defeating a real person sitting behind a keyboard is both mentally and physically arousing.

You don't get that thrill in PvE, so why do so many more people prefer this type of gameplay?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vertis View Post
    PvPers pvp because of the challenge. Nothing is smarter ( or dumber ) than another human being. Knowing that you are defeating a real person sitting behind a keyboard is both mentally and physically arousing.

You don't get that thrill in PvE, so why do so many more people prefer this type of gameplay?
    No, YOU don't get a thrill from PvE, others might.

That's why.

Because I have nothing to prove. Not saying I mind if others want to, it's just not for me.

Edit: I also tend to want to help people, not hurt them. Real or fake.
    Last edited by Selenity; 03-09-2011 at 01:56 PM.

I never understood why people enjoy fighting AI so much. Games like starcraft with 10v1 COMP STOMPS and PvE instances where you basically fight a scripted, mentally inferior AI. What is the reasoning behind this? Grats, you managed to defeat an inferior opponent?

There are people that are not as smart as the AI. In terms of gameplay mechanics. If my girlfriend plays the game, she will just hit the attack buttons while not being sure about the cooldowns, and range, and move sequences, and damage types, item use....

The computer knows exactly when its best to use which attacks, what range, and everything I just named. Soloing a dungeon of your level would be way more prestigous than killing any player.

Obviously you need to feel superior, which is why you feel glory in pvp. I love pvp, I love the glory, but I also like seeing how many mobs I can tank, and what feats I can accomplish in PVE.

Rift Disciple

PvE bosses have no thoughts or feelings, they don't get angry, sad, or jealous. There are no human aspect to them, what makes defeating something like this appealing. I really do not understand.

Champion

Bots can't talk.

This may come as a shock, but not everyone feels the way you do.

Amazing, I know. Let us know when the disbelief fades away.

Plane Touched

. Nothing is smarter ( or dumber ) than another human being. Knowing that you are defeating a real person sitting behind a keyboard is both mentally and physically arousing.
    Careful. Talk like that will bring Skynet down on all of us.

Shield of Telara

Because doing bosses is actually hard and requires everyone to play at their best, completely unlike anything you described?

Ever try to play Unreal Tournament vs max level bots? Yeah, it isn't easy. You die. It's every bit as hard as pvp is, and more.

Next time if you're going to use an example, make sure it's a proper one, and people won't make fun of you

Telaran

PvE bosses have no thoughts or feelings, they don't get angry, sad, or jealous. There are no human aspect to them, what makes defeating something like this appealing. I really do not understand.
    So you never played games like Legend of Zelda or Chrono Trigger when your were growing up? Or how about platformers? You seriously do not see how beating AI can be an enjoyable experience, especially with friends in the game with you playing along side? That just seams strange to me if you seriously do not play any game that has you beating AI....
    Last edited by bl00dVayn3; 03-09-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Rift Disciple

I can understand the human interaction of raiding. It's appealing, but the same environment easily translates to a PvP atmosphere too. I'm not judging, the guild I was in WoW is a US top 20 raiding guild. Yea, raiding was fun.. for like the first time you kill a boss.

It's all subjective. People play for different reasons.

By definition, isn't any opponent you defeat inferior? Computer AI or not?
    "Yeah, I'm on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen!"

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bl00dVayn3 View Post
    So you never played games like Legend of Zelda or Chrono Trigger when your were growing up? Or how about platformers? You seriously do not see how beating AI can be an enjoyable experience, especially with friends in the game with you playing along side? That just seams strange to me if you seriously do not play any game that has you beating AI....
    OK, thats completely different. I played those game ONE time, I beat them - oh cool.. that was a great game. I play angry birds and tower defense on my droid on the commute home. But No single player game has me coming back again and again like a multi-player game does.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Joyous View Post
    Because doing bosses is actually hard and requires everyone to play at their best, completely unlike anything you described?

Ever try to play Unreal Tournament vs max level bots? Yeah, it isn't easy. You die. It's every bit as hard as pvp is, and more.

Next time if you're going to use an example, make sure it's a proper one, and people won't make fun of you
    AI doesn't make mistakes, exactly. Humans do. It's not about difficulty, its about fighting against something that thinks and reacts like a living thing, not a machine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast