Closed Thread
Page 1 of 226 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: NO DPS or Threat Meters

Shield of Telara TheGreatGoogly's Avatar

Default NO DPS or Threat Meters

Im getting sick of all these people asking for DPS/Threat meters for the game.

Learn to Tank/DPS effectively without looking at a meter to tell you how you are doing. Most of you DPS'ers dont even pay attention to threat meters in games with them anyways so why do you even want this?

Learn to DPS without a friggin meterr. I am sick to death of raiding with ePeen kiddies who dont give a damn about beating an encounter and wipe their raids all because they had to spam their skills for maximum big numbers. I want to play an MMO. If i wanted to watch big numbers all the time i could just mash buttons on a calculator. How bout some of you go buy a calculator instead and let everyone else play the game.

The Rift Devs have already stated there will be no addons so quit asking for them. L2P

Edit- Download an out of game parser program. Problem solved. Most people wont go to the trouble of running parsers like these and if they do thery are not usually the types to spam DPS numbers into general chat after every single mob. Trash included. Ease of access is the problem.

Out of game DPS parsers are a great middle ground.

Threat meters are nothing but a crutch.

Where a mob is facing and Target of target is all that is necessary. Thats it. Nothing else. Threat meters make no sense in context with the game you are playing. Why should a mob you are fighting be telling everyone that they are 78% angry with you? Players tend to be much more cautious while DPSing when they dont know exactly where they are on the hate list. Give these same players a hate meter and they will try and stay as close to 99% on the hate meter as possible and risk wiping everyone. Happens everytime. These players are not good at the game because they know how to play their characters effectively. They are good at the game because they know how to work the meters effectively. Thats why meters play the game for you.
    Last edited by TheGreatGoogly; 01-11-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGoogly View Post
    Im getting sick of all these people asking for DPS/Threat meters for the game.
    That part scared me when i first read it, thought u said sick and tired of people not having meters. But i agree with you dude, they need to leave that $%#^ in wow. i don't care about any numbers except the ones floating above my characters head once he lands a hit. if i you have to reassure yourself that your doing a good job my constantly checking meters during fights, your a little to self conscious about yourself. i hated that wow now requires meters/scores/achievments/status/rep. to do EVERYTHING its a game just play it!!!
    CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4ghz ~ 3.0 OS: Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
    Graphics: Nvidia PNY Geforce GTS 250 1024x2 sli
    Memory/Ram: Corsair 6gig ram
    Monitors:19" viewsonic 900/ 23" Asus 3D widescreen 1080
    MOBO/PSU: nforce 650i sli / CORSAIR GS800

You realize not everybody wants these kind of things for e-peen reasons right?

Sometimes they are needed to determine who is pulling their weight, and who is not. In order to beat an encounter.

But somebody so closed minded and judgmental wouldn't see that side of it I guess.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomTat View Post

Sometimes they are needed to determine who is pulling their weight, and who is not. In order to beat an encounter.

But somebody so closed minded and judgmental wouldn't see that side of it I guess.
    Yep but what they do is make the game easier for people. People should be able to handle challenges.

Champion of Telara Hackiedoodle's Avatar

QUIT MAKING MULTIPLE THREADS FOR THIS RAAAAAAAWR

Beat that dead horse, mother****er.
    Krimhilde, Warrior
    Ambya, Cleric

Use an out of game parser than if you simply must know these things.

I really cannot stand all these games in which people are not actually paying attention to what is going on because they are busy looking at parsers and meters the whole fight.

And dont worry about me finding out if you are a useless tank or DPS'er taking up a valuable raid slot. I wont need a parser to figure out if you are dead weight.

If they are "needed" how is it that people used to play MMOs before?

Even in Vanilla WoW before there were damage meters added in. How did they kill hard things?

Don't confuse a convenience with a need. While a meter of one kind or another may make things easier (much like other addons such as questhelpers, resource trackers, etc.) they are not NEEDED.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

Use an out of game parser than if you simply must know these things.

I really cannot stand all these games in which people are not actually paying attention to what is going on because they are busy looking at parsers and meters the whole fight.

And dont worry about me finding out if you are a useless tank or DPS'er taking up a valuable raid slot. I wont need a parser to figure out if you are dead weight.
    Tell me, how?

Please, elaborate. Don't provide an answer, such as "I just know." because I find that highly unlikely and illogical.
    Last edited by Hackiedoodle; 12-09-2010 at 01:33 AM.
    Krimhilde, Warrior
    Ambya, Cleric

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Hackiedoodle View Post
    Tell me, how?

Please, elaborate. Don't provide an answer, such as "I just know." because I find that highly unlikely and illogical.
    Put in some work, if your guild is progression oriented have class leads that understand the classes thoroughly, have them held responsible for the raiders playing the class they are in charge of, and have them monitor them, talk with them, make sure the understand the mechanics etc.

Tell me, how?

Maybe because you haven't been playing under circumstances where you have needed to "just know" . . . ?

In ye olden days we DID need to actually watch everything on the screen and read through the logs.

Law Enforcement Officers do not need a breathalyzer test to estimate how much you have had to drink. They take a look at various things and they "just know" . . . much as someone with a great deal of experience can look at the kind of damage people are dropping (which is easily seen in MOS MMO logs) and such to see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    If they are "needed" how is it that people used to play MMOs before?

Even in Vanilla WoW before there were damage meters added in. How did they kill hard things?

Don't confuse a convenience with a need. While a meter of one kind or another may make things easier (much like other addons such as questhelpers, resource trackers, etc.) they are not NEEDED.
    Bingo.

People cant figure out how anyone defeats a hard encounter without parsers and threat meters.

People raided all of EQ1 until about Gates of Discord without friggin Voice chat. We typed instructions. Talk about difficult and unheard of now.

To many spoiled no skill players these days IMO. Kinda pathetic.

Bingo.

People cant figure out how anyone defeats a hard encounter without parsers and threat meters.

People raided all of EQ1 until about Gates of Discord without friggin Voice chat. We typed instructions. Talk about difficult and unheard of now.

My EverQuest II guild typed instructions through the first 2 expansions because we had veterans from EQ opposed to voice chat.

Tell me, how?

Grouping with prospective raid members. Getting to know peoples playstyle. Watching what you do and how you do it. Seeing how often you AFK/ninja AFK. Looking to see if your character is actually doing animations during the raid, Reading combat logs. Etc etc etc.

Many of us have these amazing things called eyes and we use them to observe stuff and things. I would much rather be wathcing you to see if you are useless than watching a addon to see if you are useless. And trust me when I say I will know either way.

Bingo.

^ This.

Back in the day...lol I sound like an old fogey, but yeah back in the day we did it with no Vent, no Omen, no Recount, etc...And we pulled it off and you know what it was also ALOT MORE FUN because it felt like we were playing a game instead of doing math equations.
    Can i has fox?

Quote Originally Posted by dinhosaur View Post
    Put in some work, if your guild is progression oriented have class leads that understand the classes thoroughly, have them held responsible for the raiders playing the class they are in charge of, and have them monitor them, talk with them, make sure the understand the mechanics etc.
    Does this mean that the class leads have to sort through combat logs to figure out if each class member is performing up to snuff? It seems to me that a parser simply makes this job easier. According to your previous post-

Quote Originally Posted by Gooly
    Learn to DPS without a friggin parser. I am sick to death of raiding with ePeen kiddies who dont give a damn about beating an encounter and wipe their raids all because they had to spam their skills for maximum big numbers. I want to play an MMO. If i wanted to watch big numbers all the time i could just mash buttons on a calculator. How bout some of you go buy a calculator instead and let everyone else play the game.
    It seems to me like you just have something against the number part of it, since people tend to use that to show off their big DPS. If parsers didn't give a "total damage done", would you be willing to use them? They give a lot of valuable information, such as who took damage from what part of the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    Maybe because you haven't been playing under circumstances where you have needed to "just know" . . . ?

In ye olden days we DID need to actually watch everything on the screen and read through the logs.

Law Enforcement Officers do not need a breathalyzer test to estimate how much you have had to drink. They take a look at various things and they "just know" . . . much as someone with a great deal of experience can look at the kind of damage people are dropping (which is easily seen in MOS MMO logs) and such to see what's going on.
    If I had to choose between "just knowing" if my DPS was up to par, and knowing for sure, through means of a parser, I would most definitely choose the later. I feel as though some people on these forums want to do away with any external parser, addon or what have you, simply because "that's how they did it back in their day." It gives a very "elitist" feel, similar to the very same elitism they're trying to shoot down, by being anti-DPS meter.

Also, you can smell a guy's breath and judge his activity fairly easy, to determine if he's drunk. Reading combat logs instead of running them through a parser seems as though you're making the process harder, simply for the sake of making it hard.
    Last edited by Hackiedoodle; 12-09-2010 at 01:46 AM.
    Krimhilde, Warrior
    Ambya, Cleric

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 226 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast