Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trion Worlds Rift account Email scam!

Exclamation Trion Worlds Rift account Email scam!

Just a heads up. Just received an email titled Trion Worlds Rift account It tells you your Trion account password has been successfully reset and offers you a link to a fake login page, that a first glance looks like the real thing. The address is sending you to a .net domain site that isn't associated to Trion. Be careful out there.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Vixenator View Post
    Just a heads up. Just received an email titled Trion Worlds Rift account It tells you your Trion account password has been successfully reset and offers you a link to a fake login page, that a first glance looks like the real thing. The address is sending you to a .net domain site that isn't associated to Trion. Be careful out there.
    Just out of curiosity, what other sites did you register with that were Rift related outside of the Trion page?

I was getting this for WoW (and still am) after registering my E-Mail with Curse.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Malek Wolvesbane View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what other sites did you register with that were Rift related outside of the Trion page?

I was getting this for WoW (and still am) after registering my E-Mail with Curse.
    I got this fake email today too, to my Rift email address.

Zam is the only one for me. This site, and Zam, are the only Rift related sites that have the email address I use for Rift - and the email was indeed targetted at that email (none of my other, not even the "spam heavy", email addresses I have).
    Last edited by Azzer007; 03-08-2011 at 05:16 AM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Azzer007 View Post
    I got this fake email today too, to my Rift email address.

Zam is the only one for me. This site, and Zam, are the only Rift related sites that have the email address I use for Rift - and the email was indeed targetted at that email (none of my other, not even the "spam heavy", email addresses I have).
    I've yet to get one and haven't registered to Zam... have registered here though. Just trying to narrow it down. Oh and facebook but there aren't any apps that I know of that Rift uses or any "Rift fans" use... will keep looking.

As a general rule of thumb, never use the email that you use for game logins (Bnet, Rift, etc) for anything but those games. Actually, you shouldn't use an email that can be used as a login for protected information or content for anything else besides just that. Registering for other sites like Facebook, etc just leaves you open to that email getting out there.

It isn't hard to set up another email account. Heck, if you have Gmail, you can even attach it to your primary account
    Last edited by Dakia; 03-08-2011 at 05:24 AM.
    Greybriar - PVE - US

Shadowlander

I received this email at 4:30 this morning, and I do not subscribe to any websites that are even remotely related to Rift. Could they be taking emails from Forum posters profiles?

I am going to go create a Rift sign-in only email alias from my ISP, that should tell me if Trion is compromised...

Soulwalker

Yeah it is pretty much the same scam as the WoW fishing and it probably got the info from the same source, at least for me. The email address they sent this to is the same one they sent the WoW scams to which is not associated to either my old WoW account or my rift account (makes it easy to tell its fake due to that).

Oh also they mis-spelled Trion in the message body as well (Tirion)
    Last edited by warcin; 03-08-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjordstorm View Post
    I am going to go create a Rift sign-in only email alias from my ISP, that should tell me if Trion is compromised...
    I've had my login seperate from everything else since beta and I havn't received a single email. I don't think that Trion is compromised, but my personal experience doesn't hold much weight.
    Greybriar - PVE - US

No, they arent taking them from your login.

They send them to millions of people, many of whom have never heard of Rift. They do the same with all big games.

Get a decent spam filter, and you wont have to stress it
    "There is too much hype these days. When people donít know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed" - Will Wright

i open new email accounts just to see how long it takes to get wow phishing spam.

i'll check a few to see if i got any rift related spam yet.
    enyo - defiant warrior seastone.
    gundam - defiant rogue seastone.

Soulwalker

haven't played wow in years and still get mass loads of fake wow emails... think they just spam every email in existence...

Interestingly enough, it was on the email account I used for Curse. Fortunately, that email account is unrelated to the one I use for Rift.

General of Telara

Interesting... so Curse so far is the common factor... I mean, could be wrong -- has anyone got one on an e-mail address NOT registered to Curse?
    Last edited by Malek Wolvesbane; 03-08-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Rift Disciple

Been registered for Curse for a few years now, never received an email for WoW or Rift or any other game. It's not that.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by chewy106 View Post
    Been registered for Curse for a few years now, never received an email for WoW or Rift or any other game. It's not that.
    I've been registered with them since BC. I also registered them with an e-mail address that was only used for Curse and nothing else nor was it ever publicized. Did this to test out a theory from a security website / forum I visit and sure-as-hell, it gets those phishing e-mails.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast