+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: instancing

Champion

I prefer significant player interaction (i.e. little even to no instancing). However, I am happy with areas that are instanced to provide particularly complex challenges.

I don't mind dungeon instancing, it stops the nasty occurences in "rare to spawn" boss mobs aka EQ1 where a lesser guild would clear through to the mob and a bigger guild would just barge through and kill the boss whilst the "clearers" were discussing tactics. That in my opinion just wasted several hours of gameplay. Whilst on the subject of instancing, I would love to have random caves and such just appear in the world which would be ok for soloers (like the random scripted ones in Dungeons of Norrath). So much fun if you don't have long to play before real life interrupts yet don't feel like grinding.

Hmmmmm it works both ways really. Look at EVE-Online - they have no instances and it works just fine. Then look at EQ2 or Vanguard etc - here its primarely the raid dungoens that are instances - still it works fine. In the end it really comes down to server load and if the servers can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    I don't mind dungeon instancing, it stops the nasty occurences in "rare to spawn" boss mobs aka EQ1 where a lesser guild would clear through to the mob and a bigger guild would just barge through and kill the boss whilst the "clearers" were discussing tactics. That in my opinion just wasted several hours of gameplay. Whilst on the subject of instancing, I would love to have random caves and such just appear in the world which would be ok for soloers (like the random scripted ones in Dungeons of Norrath). So much fun if you don't have long to play before real life interrupts yet don't feel like grinding.
    This is what I was referring too. People like open world 100%, but there will be those times...when the whole community aspect backfires, this is of course they have a good spawning system in tact to repeat (but then some believe that kills "immersion"). I mean you could make it even simpler to say like a major dungeon be open but like say the final encounter of a dungeon be instanced for say quest reasons.

There are tons of ways to limiting instances. You just have to find the right pinch mix between the two. Generally something along the lines of 90% - 10% with that 10% being just being quest updates, final scripted encounters, etc.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Quote Originally Posted by Acany View Post
    Hmmmmm it works both ways really. Look at EVE-Online - they have no instances and it works just fine. Then look at EQ2 or Vanguard etc - here its primarely the raid dungoens that are instances - still it works fine. In the end it really comes down to server load and if the servers can handle it.
    And this. Server load is a big factor. That's the only reason why APW went that way.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    It has been mentioned in the past that most of the world will be persistent with some instancing scattered throughout for dungeons and stuff.
    APW(Ancient Port Warehouse) is the only place in the whole of Vanguard that has some form of instancing which are actually called shards, let's not let people assume that Vanguard has instancing like WOW or many other instanced mmorpg. Vanguard is a totally open seamless world and APW has six copies of that dungeon which a raid group can choose from , the seventh raid group has to wait so it's not like WOW type instancing .

The right word is Shards..)

Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    And this. Server load is a big factor. That's the only reason why APW went that way.
    APW in Vanguard is perfect example why you need instances. I love that dungeon (despite its outdated now) - but imagine if it hadnt been sharded. Would have been a nightmare for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineluki-Storm View Post
    APW(Ancient Port Warehouse) is the only place in the whole of Vanguard that has some form of instancing which are actually called shards, let's not let people assume that Vanguard has instancing like WOW or many other instanced mmorpg. Vanguard is a totally open seamless world and APW has six copies of that dungeon which a raid group can choose from , the seventh raid group has to wait so it's not like WOW type instancing .

The right word is Shards..)
    I don't believe anyone was claiming VG is an instanced game but the fact that there IS some form of instancing involved and it didn't effect overall gameplay or take anything away from immersion. Oh and not only APW but the Chath event for the Griffin quest line was instanced...well not entirely but it only let one group in at a time.

Plane Touched

An intriguing idea perhaps would be a transparent instance. The idea is that in, say, a dungeon, there will be a major encounter that can be observed from some distance by others but where the area of the encounter is not accessible to them until the fight is complete. This may go against the old mmo model of groups hiding their strat secrets, but perhaps in other ways the social fun of watching a group live or die could make up for that. Just an off-the-cuff idea to play with.

APW in Vanguard is perfect example why you need instances. I love that dungeon (despite its outdated now) - but imagine if it hadnt been sharded. Would have been a nightmare for performance.
    Yeah, i will agree with that as well,it would of been bad without the sharding. Any way, i think you can still make a vast world with instances and some open dungeons, why not have both,it would really work well in my opinion.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

The original plan was to have a game with a large open world, but have instanced dungeons, and I hope it is still that way. I don't mind a few open dungeons, although those tend to turn in to camp-fests won by whatever ****** guild decides to stay there and farm for ages. As long as the open world bit doesn't end up like Age of Conan, I'd be happy, personally. Some of the open dungeons in AoC worked well enough since they had a lot of random spawn monsters in them, which meant you needed to keep moving and it was harder to camp.

I do like how Fallen Earth does instances, where you can see in and out and just sort of 'enter' an instance with almost not even knowing you have.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

I dont mind some instances as long as mobs respawn. WoW dungeon farming sucks. Sometimes I just wanna group up with a couple friends and find a nice spot and grind xp or loot while chatting. Frankly non-respawning instances really help to kill the MMO part of MMORPG and turns them into zergfest speed runs. I have several friends to this day from back in the early days of EQ that I most likely would not have met if it had that instance style. While I understand why some do not like open dungeons for various reason one thing I have learned is the current "standard" for instanced, non-respawning personal dungeons really kills the community.

Instancing is nice, when done right. I hate when the gameplay is only build on instances as in WoW, but some instances here and there to enjoy with friends, not having to worry about being disturbed is nice. Look at WAR for example, imho they done it rather nicely, where you had public dungeons with instanced end bosses.

Hmm one of the places/scnarios an instance would ok, is probably as part of a quest or quest line. I can vividly imagine the use of instances there.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Hmm one of the places/scnarios an instance would ok, is probably as part of a quest or quest line. I can vividly imagine the use of instances there.
    How have other games done this when it comes to group quests? If you have a questline which has instanced components and some sort of progression within them, I'm curious how it would handle new people or people at different stages?

I do like instanced quests like in the AoC main storyline and LotRO story lines...

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast