Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: People here are so harsh .. is it MMOs in general or Americans?

Soulwalker

Default People here are so harsh .. is it MMOs in general or Americans?

I've been following these forums for a while and I notice that whenever anyone asks a question on why they are getting killed in pvp or kicked from a pve group the responses are all so incredibly harsh.

Basically I'm reading things like 'if you dont know what ur doing you shouldnt be playing' or 'youre an idiot' etc etc all along those lines.

A good friend of mine is a lvl 21 cleric and was running a dungeon yesterday (not sure which one, Im only lvl 13) .. anyway so he was trying his hand at being a healer and has never played this type of role in mmo's before.

So he told me he wasn't doing that great on the first boss and everyone in the group instantly turned on him saying 'learn to f***ing play', 'we're gonna kick u', 'what the f*** are you doing?'

I mean, it's only the first week! He's still just getting used to which heals work and which ones don't, and instead of helping him out they kicked him and made him feel so bad he hasn't logged back on since.

Just wondering, does this same harsh attitude exist through the Euro servers as well? Is everyone so critical in mmo's?

and how is that fun?

anyway, just a question for you .. I come from Australia and I find most ppl here are pretty helpful IRL, but I got a real shock when I started reading these forums.

kT.

I haven't noticed widespread idiocy like that in game. In fact, just the opposite. So, no, not widespread.
    [b]Shard: Endless░░░░░IGN: Partyrock░░░░░Mage░░░░░Currently: Chloro/Lock/Archmage

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by kTamorel View Post
    I've been following these forums for a while and I notice that whenever anyone asks a question on why they are getting killed in pvp or kicked from a pve group the responses are all so incredibly harsh.

Basically I'm reading things like 'if you dont know what ur doing you shouldnt be playing' or 'youre an idiot' etc etc all along those lines.

A good friend of mine is a lvl 21 cleric and was running a dungeon yesterday (not sure which one, Im only lvl 13) .. anyway so he was trying his hand at being a healer and has never played this type of role in mmo's before.

So he told me he wasn't doing that great on the first boss and everyone in the group instantly turned on him saying 'learn to f***ing play', 'we're gonna kick u', 'what the f*** are you doing?'

I mean, it's only the first week! He's still just getting used to which heals work and which ones don't, and instead of helping him out they kicked him and made him feel so bad he hasn't logged back on since.

Just wondering, does this same harsh attitude exist through the Euro servers as well? Is everyone so critical in mmo's?

and how is that fun?

anyway, just a question for you .. I come from Australia and I find most ppl here are pretty helpful IRL, but I got a real shock when I started reading these forums.

kT.
    HA Americans...you ever play on a Euro? same types my friend. The interwebZ makes dbags out of everybody.

Rift Chaser Drizzt of the Underdark's Avatar

This unfortunately is just MMO players in general. Not all of them of course. Just a very vocal portion of them. They are quick to place judgment, I would tell your friend that he should not take it to heart.

Some players are just ****s. No big deal.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. ~ Barney Stinson

David Bowie: "I'm afraid of Americans, I'm afraid of the world"

Yep... we yanks can be rude, wasn't always that way, but I can't argue with you when see it that way.

The Internet / anonymity
    Snob - Rogue
    Smug - Cleric

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Snob View Post
    The Internet / anonymity

There it is.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by kTamorel View Post

and how is that fun?

kT.

Yes, and No, and Maybe.

The plain and simple truth is that the higher the population of an area (be it a city or a game), the larger the amount of "undesireables" there will be in said area. That's why crime is higher in cities with larger populations than with lower populations.

Add that to the "anonymity" factor of the internet, and it just compounds the problem.

So yes, in a simple answer it is MMOs in general. Though in MMOs that have more subs (like WoW or Rift), it's much more easily noticed and is a much bigger problem.

And I would have to agree that Americans are partially to blame as well. Their sense of over self-importance combined with the current generations overly inflated sense of entitlement don't make it any easier. I should know... I have to live with it every day.

But it's hardly the reason... and it's definitely not all Americans. The bad ones just compound the problem.
    Last edited by Kaedan; 03-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -
    William G. McAdoo

I feel ya. Problem is world wide, just worse here in the U.S.. The internet is:

1 Anonymous. They are behind a keyboard, kazillions of miles away and 90% of those immature kids and adults would never say in the flesh what they say to people with a keyboard. Keep that in mind. Laugh at them and move on. I just /ignore or report them.

2. Web is a babysitter. Most kids and parents don't interact much anymore. They let their kid have whatever game it is just to shut them up instead of using discipline. So, little Bobby gets on and acts like a jerk. The other part is just insecure, attention deficit, "adults". Ignore them. They want a reaction, so they say something immature. Don't feed them their drug.

3. Profit.

It's just the internet in general. Since people can't get smacked for being rude they think they can do whatever and be fine about it.

Ascendant

What a horrible title for your post. I'm Australian too. I know some very nice Americans and some not so nice ones. I know some very nice Europeans and some not so nice ones. This may stun you, but I know some not so nice Australians too. For all the fact that Australians tend to be laid back, compared to some other countries, I still see much of the same sort of things here that I did when I lived in America.

Frankly if I see one more scare campaign about boat people, or one more closed minded bigot banging on about refugees, I'm gonna beat someone.

From long experience, I can tell you there are several types of people who play these games. There are people who are playing to win, period end of story. Figuring out who they are and not playing with them is one of the keys to enjoying the game for me.

Sure I want to beat content and I do. But I beat it having fun. Being supportive of the community. Encouraging new players to learn. Helping people along who need the help. And it sometimes yields pretty long friendships that go from game to game.

By the same token, some people want to play the game their way and it's not my way. They don't care about being part of a group, a team player, who learns and grows. I don't team with them.

PUGs (pick up groups) are the worst way to play a game for me. Find a group of like minded people and form a guild, or join an already existing guild. Talk to the people first and tell them you're new, learning, and see their reaction. There are plenty of guilds willing to help new people. There are plenty of players.

But don't pick up a group of randoms, if you don't want to be treated badly because that's usually what will happen. Find friends and play with them.

It's make the game so much better for you.

You think Americans are bad...
    Check out this kid... lol
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

Shadowlander

I can imagine, haven't seen it yet on the server I play on, but that being said the atmosphere is harsher then I'm used to (EVE, UO, LOTRO RP server, STO, etc).
    Especially on these forums. I get the idea that some of it is players coming from WoW and taking their WoW-attitude with them, and for those who don't know their language and customs it can sound way worse then they mean it. I had someone say "wutevs" to me... at first I was like: what is that? Then I understood ("whatever"), and was kinda offended, but then I realized it was just the language that is spoken and they mean it differently then I would mean it I'd say 'wutevs'. (I hope . I don't know for sure, but I like to assume the best).

In any case, most people become reasonable to explain it if you simply ask it, like: "You know, you said wutevs... to me just now, and I have to ask, that sounds to me as though you're completely ignoring me because you think I'm an idiot, is that what you meant, or am I seeing it wrong?"

Plane Touched

While it may seem like a lot of people are immature pricks (and there are a lot of them), there are also good people out there too. Best bet is to try and find a guild with some laid back people and do as much as possible with them. If you run into somebody who acts as you described, try and just ignore them.

Generally speaking it's harder for people to be friendly and helpful, so they take the path of least resistance, or worse, they become jaded internet tough guys who think they can verbally abuse people whenever they want. Feel sorry for these people because they're probably just sad sacks in real life and have no real recourse for feeling good about themselves.

Anyway, try and keep your chin up. There are good folks around.

Soulwalker

Thanks everyone for your well thought out and mature responses.

Sorry, I didn't intend to specifically target peeps from the USA, it's just I play on a US server and constantly see all the smack talk in general chat. was wondering if the euro servers had the same attitude.

I have some very close friends irl who are from the usa and they are lovely people, ...but they don't play mmo's

thanks again for your insights!

kT.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast