+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 678
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Does RIFT need an online Character Viewer/Armory/Barracks/whatever...?

  1. #601
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    206

    Default

    No. I'd rather they spend the resources on the game.

  2. #602
    Champion of Telara Acesfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRob View Post
    Not being funny, I fully support the idea of an Armory (at least as far as being able to see your own guild members, anything more that that I don't care either way) however any reputable guild will have their own website with just about everything you could ever possibly want on it. You've said it yourself in previous posts, the internet already gives specs etc... well it also provides us with guild websites.

    Anybody who is happy on their shard looking for a better guild will be looking at the internet to find them, especially raid-minded players, anybody who isn't happy on their shard really shouldn't care about a 7 day cool down on their free shard transfer, if nothing else they get a break from the shard they didn't like and can experience another one for themselves.

    I don't disagree with your argument, but I do disagree with your reason. Shard transfers have no baring whatsoever on the legitimacy of an Armory, especially when they are free.
    In my case it wasn't a matter of not being happy or unhappy with my shard. I logged in one day and found out the shard was becoming a trial shard and I had to move. Yes, I could have searched the internet and hopefully found a guild website on a server that was available for me to transfer to. But it would have been far more convenient to come to Trion's site, pull up the armory, and then search all of the guilds available on the servers I'm allowed to transfer to.

    From there I could see this guild has quite a few members. And most of them are geared about the same as me. I could jump right in there and not be too far behind (or ahead) in progression. Yes there are other ways to achieve this, but none are anywhere near as convenient.

  3. #603
    Ascendant Skidrow Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acesfool View Post
    but none are anywhere near as convenient.
    So you want Trion to hold your hand?
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

  4. #604
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I see no problem with an armory-like web application, in fact I would like one. Just give us the simple option to make it private and allow us to set access rights on an individual basis. Personally I don't care if people see my armory, but apparently some people get their panties in a wad over it.
    Last edited by Brutix; 10-25-2011 at 02:53 PM.

  5. #605
    Champion of Telara Acesfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidrow Bro View Post
    So you want Trion to hold your hand?
    Well, if your goal was to make the dumbest comment in the entire thread, you achieved it. Gratz!!

  6. #606
    Plane Touched terran698's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    200

    Default

    i can understand that some people would like to keep their character info private, but why not make a tab in the character screen (where you view your armor, wardrobe, currencies, stats, etc...) that lets you select whether or not to make your achievements, armor, wardrobe, roles, crafting, whatever else public or private?

    this would make both sides happy would it not?

  7. #607
    Shield of Telara baph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Want this! Must stare at my gear while at work..

    Make it full on public and show everything. Add an option to hide stuff for the tinfoil hats and bads.

  8. #608
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    If someone can tell me how this is different to my being able to inspect other players parse out their dps hps and inc damage (useful is seeing which tanks know how to play) etc then I will see the point. At this point the ONLY thing an armory does is add a bit of convenience, it does not in anyway shape or form eliminate or even limit any of the theoretical trolling that is the prime reason used to poo poo the idea. Guys it's time to accept that all of the tools from prior MMOs with their potential problems are already alive and well in Rift. Maceos, add ons, parsers, they are all here. The war is over.

  9. #609
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Im not paranoid, I dont have a tinfoil hat, I dont have an uber super secret spec, my gear is semi hk and im a r7 mage.

    But like most things in life we dont get to know everything about someone. People just dont like to be forced to share something they may consider private. That is the individuals decision and should be respected. If you wish to partcipate in a collective armory feel free but telling me I have to share if I dont want to is wrong imo.

  10. #610
    Champion of Telara Acesfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
    Im not paranoid, I dont have a tinfoil hat, I dont have an uber super secret spec, my gear is semi hk and im a r7 mage.

    But like most things in life we dont get to know everything about someone. People just dont like to be forced to share something they may consider private. That is the individuals decision and should be respected. If you wish to partcipate in a collective armory feel free but telling me I have to share if I dont want to is wrong imo.
    And what exactly would anyone know about you if there was an armory? Absolutely nothing. They would see a make believe character on a computer screen which isn't the least bit private to begin with because you play that character on a public server.

  11. #611
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acesfool View Post
    And what exactly would anyone know about you if there was an armory? Absolutely nothing. They would see a make believe character on a computer screen which isn't the least bit private to begin with because you play that character on a public server.
    This is where you and I differ, my character as stated in the eula is considered intellectual property and is very real in game business law. It has a monetary value and has rights associated with it.

    So it is not just a make believe character in a video game. The developement of my character has been to my choices, an effort has been made to be somewhat unique and my playstyle is also
    unique. Ive made my character to my specifications and now you feel you have the right to put her on public display after all the work ive put into her. ****

  12. #612
    Champion of Telara Acesfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
    This is where you and I differ, my character as stated in the eula is considered intellectual property and is very real in game business law. It has a monetary value and has rights associated with it.

    So it is not just a make believe character in a video game. The developement of my character has been to my choices, an effort has been made to be somewhat unique and my playstyle is also
    unique. Ive made my character to my specifications and now you feel you have the right to put her on public display after all the work ive put into her. ****
    Yep, this is exactly where we differ. You say you've put "work" into your character. I say you've put play time into your character. And you did so on a public server. You willingly login to a public server and everything you've done or acquired for that character was done so out in the open for everyone to see. Every time you login you're putting her on public display.

    So I'd be willing to bet dollars against donuts that if someone saw your character on an armory, the sun would still rise the following day.

  13. #613
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acesfool View Post
    Yep, this is exactly where we differ. You say you've put "work" into your character. I say you've put play time into your character. And you did so on a public server. You willingly login to a public server and everything you've done or acquired for that character was done so out in the open for everyone to see. Every time you login you're putting her on public display.

    So I'd be willing to bet dollars against donuts that if someone saw your character on an armory, the sun would still rise the following day.
    You are correct it is my choice to log in and my choice to let you see my character. You see, the armory would show my character when im not logged in, and this is where you have taken my choice to display my character in public away from me.

    Round n round we go...

  14. #614
    Champion of Telara Acesfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
    You are correct it is my choice to log in and my choice to let you see my character. You see, the armory would show my character when im not logged in, and this is where you have taken my choice to display my character in public away from me.

    Round n round we go...
    Yet you can't seem to explain why that's a problem. I mean, I can say it's a bad idea to throw a can of gas into a fire because it could cause a dangerous explosion. There's a reason for not wanting that to happen. You don't want an armory because people will see your character. But why? What could possibly happen if someone sees your character? Will it cause the outbreak of a horrible disease? Will it cause the earth to shift off of it's axis?

    The bottom line is NOTHING will happen. It will have no effect on you, or anyone else, whatsoever. Saying Trion shouldn't offer a a useful and convenient tool for their customers, just because you have some irrational fear of it, makes no sense at all. Hell, let's remove all undead mobs from the game because some people fear the boogy man.

  15. #615
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acesfool View Post
    Yet you can't seem to explain why that's a problem. I mean, I can say it's a bad idea to throw a can of gas into a fire because it could cause a dangerous explosion. There's a reason for not wanting that to happen. You don't want an armory because people will see your character. But why? What could possibly happen if someone sees your character? Will it cause the outbreak of a horrible disease? Will it cause the earth to shift off of it's axis?

    The bottom line is NOTHING will happen. It will have no effect on you, or anyone else, whatsoever. Saying Trion shouldn't offer a a useful and convenient tool for their customers, just because you have some irrational fear of it, makes no sense at all. Hell, let's remove all undead mobs from the game because some people fear the boogy man.
    I dont want to display my character is all the reason you need, game over...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts