+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: <Need> <Greed> <Pass>

Soulwalker

Default <Need> <Greed> <Pass>

I’m confused with the <Need> <Greed> <Pass> tool. As of yesterday if im playing my mage and a plate boots drop I can “need” it. How could I need this? If I need money to sell it or to give it to another account or even salvage it wouldn’t that fall under <Greed>? If the game wants us to use self restraint and play with everyone interest in mind then what’s the point of the tool. As of right now if im in a full raid doing a rift and something drops that I really need (use it) 80% of the raid <Needs> it. But probably only 5-10% could actually use the item.

My opinion which I know not every one share is

<Need>: Going you wear the item on the character that you’re playing.
    <Greed>: Going to sell, salvage, trade the item
    <Pass>: Do not want item.

I think the tool should not allow people to roll on items they can not use. So if the item says mage only then rog, tanks, clerics will have <Need> grayed out and can only use the greed or pass button.

If some one is trying to be greedy (which most people are in mmo games) they should only have a greed option and not pretend to need the item to increase the change to get it.

I talk to several people in game about that and its come to the point that even the people that don’t want to be greedy need items because they know they greed button is about the same as the pass button. As soon as some one “fake needs” an item all those greed people that are hoping for a shot at an item have 0 chance now so people just all Need items.

I know what you mean but, everyone can use an item.

They can be broken down for parts or for runecrafting.

I know that's not what you are talking about Need equals Use.
    Please be nice to the trolls, it confuses them.

Your greedy merchant spec may need it!

But really, with deconstruct crafting abilities, there's a weird grey area before need and greed that is where things get confusing.

A mage needing a plate item just to sell the the merchant is bad. A mage losing a 'greed' roll when they're a crafter and can deconstruct it for mats, when someone else is just going to vendor it, is also bad, imo.

There needs to be a need for main spec, need for secondary spec, need for crafting, greed for sales, greed for alts, pass because I'm not interested and pass because I'm not a jerk and inspected the person who just 'needed' it and realize they need it more than I do so am passing for that reason.

Then I think they'd have all bases covered.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

It does require a little bit of honest/respect. You should only ever need if you will use the item and it is an upgrade. Greed if you either just wouldn't mind having to sell or you want to use for crafting.

I'm surprised when I see a Greed roll. Usually they are all Need. In Rifts mind you.

In Beta 5 everyone hit Greed and the few Needs I saw actually were from people who could use it.
    By Beta 7 everyone seemed to hit Need.

This is sort of hard to fix to perfection though. Currently its a Need fest, and if you only allow items to be Needed based on class then all armor could be needed by Warriors, 3/4ths by Clerics, and so on. Weapons are a different story though.

This was brought up several times with WoW (and still is to some degree) and you are correct about how it should be. Unfortunately, there are people who love to ninja stuff just to sell it and to be *******s. Now, if Trion could put in what WoW did a while back and make it to where if you can't use that item, you can't need on it (as in, mage can't roll need on plate), then it would be better. At least in my opinion it would be.
    Xadus - Rogue - Greybriar

Oh, and it's even worse with the flexible role system.

I love being on my rogue, rolling need on a tanking ring with a bunch of end and +dodge, and then have the warrior in the group who SHOULD have been dpsing say 'ur a rouge idiot' apparently having not realized I'd been tanking the dungeon for the last 20 minutes.

Soulwalker

People need to stop needing on "everybody" stuff like planar container thingies. You don't really NEED it. Just greed it with everyone else. Just make it auto greed stuff like that and potions or something.

Champion of Telara

Because Trion ripped the WoW game system too much, and neglected to copy Warhammer's "Need On Use" loot option.

They also neglected Dual Targeting, but that's a dead horse.

Rift has made positive steps in many areas, but made steps backwards in some stupid cases.

Just treat it as priority with labels. 1, 2 and 3.

The simple fix is to disable (grey out) the option for "need" if your Calling doesn't wear the armor or use the item (as far as gear goes).

Ex: Mages can only Greed at most for plate/leather/mail armor, shields, and guns/bows.

Ex 2: Warriors can't hit need on Cloth/Staves/Wands.

And only those that have the actual crafting skill can need on crafting items that drop.
    Would you say I have a plethora of piñatas? - El Guapo

http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-rift/10594_15cb87d4d3df51a5.png

p.s. I refuse to play a pyro because when I beat you, you can't use that excuse

Quote Originally Posted by JDS1977 View Post
    People need to stop needing on "everybody" stuff like planar container thingies. You don't really NEED it. Just greed it with everyone else. Just make it auto greed stuff like that and potions or something.
    In reality, stuff that everyone is going to feasibly want/use needs to just be randomly dispersed.

Quote Originally Posted by JDS1977 View Post
    If something drops that i want like a health pot i need it. If a mana pot drops i cant use it so i pass. If you want a chance at anything in a Rift group just need or you'er not going to get it. Better idea just rift with your guild then you can set loot rules befor you start.
    You have two basic choices in your life, laugh or cry. I pick laugh every single time.

I agree with one of the earlier posters, WAR did have a good system in place with the need/greed/pass options and with the ability to pre-define your choices in advance based on the loot type and level. Was a rather nice system and removed the problem of getting that pop up in the middle of a fight when you should be fighting.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    Envy the Madman his musings, when Death comes to make fools of us All.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Xonth View Post
    I’m confused with the <Need> <Greed> <Pass> tool. As of yesterday if im playing my mage and a plate boots drop I can “need” it. How could I need this? If I need money to sell it or to give it to another account or even salvage it wouldn’t that fall under <Greed>? If the game wants us to use self restraint and play with everyone interest in mind then what’s the point of the tool. As of right now if im in a full raid doing a rift and something drops that I really need (use it) 80% of the raid <Needs> it. But probably only 5-10% could actually use the item.

My opinion which I know not every one share is

<Need>: Going you wear the item on the character that you’re playing.
    <Greed>: Going to sell, salvage, trade the item
    <Pass>: Do not want item.

I think the tool should not allow people to roll on items they can not use. So if the item says mage only then rog, tanks, clerics will have <Need> grayed out and can only use the greed or pass button.

If some one is trying to be greedy (which most people are in mmo games) they should only have a greed option and not pretend to need the item to increase the change to get it.

I talk to several people in game about that and its come to the point that even the people that don’t want to be greedy need items because they know they greed button is about the same as the pass button. As soon as some one “fake needs” an item all those greed people that are hoping for a shot at an item have 0 chance now so people just all Need items.
    most groups I have run with seem to live by this... to me it's fair, I don't think iw ould run groups a second time with people who kept rolling on things they don't need for actual avatar armor upgrades... everyone needs poitions, don't care how people roll on them.
    A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the lyrics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast