Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
So there are a few issues (to elaborate). Issue number one is that there are MANY more items than actually make it to the game, in a player facing fashion. For any number of reasons - abandoned ideas, statless example items for artist screenshots, or even statless versions of items to be used in the visuals of various NPCs (I was making a bunch of alternate versions of Carnival masks earlier, to customize some NPC revelers). So most of that item database is not released info, having never been in player hands and having never been in discovery info.Problem number two as far as how to acquire said appearance I covered earlier in tracing the myriad ways an item might make it to a player's hands, many of which are valid datawise, but never fully implemented or possible ways that used to exist but were removed via some link in that supply chain being removed (a mob that no longer spawns for example, or a reward from a quest that no longer exists, or a one-time world event like the River of Souls opening).Problem three (and this is the big one) is that the game was built long before there was the current collectible wardrobe system. The new system being a separate system means the integration is a bit convoluted. You are asking for the mapping, but there is no direct mapping. Essentially the collectible side of the wardrobe system is based on the item model (renderable) and a tint set. Each combo of renderable+tint = a wardrobe appearance. But at no point do the item and wardrobe databases directly link to each other in the data. Basically when you acquire an item, the game says hey you just got this renderable+tint combo - do you have that combo unlocked yet? And the wardrobe side says yes or no and unlocks it in your collection if you do not. The item does not know what wardrobe data entry it unlocks because it was created so much later. And the wardrobe knows nothing of which items use its combo - it just knows what its combo is.So, looking up the Wardrobe unlock from an item is easy - because each item knows what its own renderable and tint is. And the new wardrobe system was built to handle that query so it works pretty efficiently. Going the other direction is not how it was built at all and is where it gets really difficult - so let's take the an example like the OP's sword...I look up "Bahralt's Bane" in the wardrobe database to see its renderable and tint. I then open the item database to look for all items with that renderable and tint. From there I get a list (thankfully short in this case, being only 4 long). From there, being intimately familiar with doing searches like this dismiss one of the hits as an artist example just by the naming convention. Another I see is not actually set up to be an equipable item at all, so I can dismiss that one as well. Of the ones that remain, I start to back trace what call on them. One might eventually lead to something not obtainable in game (a quest reward package for example that was never even hooked up to a quest). The other leads to a series of loottables, and from there I must then back trace each loottable to see if any or all of them are actually obtainable still. In this particular case, just based on familiarity with naming styles of the many various people that have worked on this game, I see all the loottables are associated with Moonshade Highlands, and that one of those is named as a zonewide drop. I backtrace that one further to confirm it is still valid and leave the couple of others be as possibly or possibly not valid - things like dusty sack, which is level based on the player and gets a lot thornier to back trace even though it is the same item. So I quit my search knowing that yes it is still available, as a random drop from mobs in that zone, and possibly from other sources in that zone that would be harder to farm (since the character level would need to be just right). But I have already spent enough time to sift through all of that, discarding "valid" but unobtainable sources along the way.Probably a bit of info overkill, and perhaps more of the inner workings than I am supposed to reveal, but hopefully that explains why no automated info or even raw data sump is going to be available.But if any interested group put together a solid wiki or similar resource, I would probably contribute myself a little bit on my personal time- because as a player, I really do love the wardrobe system.
Jump to post...