Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Any news about this annoying flickering/disappearing textures bug that occurs since Storm Legion?
Not offhand. I have a few more ideas on what might be causing it, and I have a redesign of a chunk of code planned which might fix it. This issue has proven extremely elusive. We're not giving up on it, though.
Quote Originally Posted by ChickenArse View Post
For what it's worth... Rift is the *only* app I have that leaves the rammap starved for address space. I have to flush the entire system working set to get the machine back to a usable state after a crash. Note that it takes some time for it to get to the starved state and quitting the game does *not* clear it up, making me wonder if rift died still owning open handles.
Hrm. Odd.Back in the Windows 3.1 days, pre-1995, Windows had trouble with handles not being released properly if a program crashed. One of the big advantages of Win95 was that processes were sandboxed enough, and tracked carefully enough that a crashing process would free its handles. Or rather, Windows would free its handles for it. And that's a feature that every modern operating system has. Quite simply, Windows should not allow Rift to leak resources post-crash even if we wanted it to*.I normally wouldn't say "hey let's go muck about in your system to figure out what's going on", but since you're the one who introduced me to RAMMap :V can you go grab Process Explorer and use it to figure out if files are actually being kept open? If they are, I'm extremely curious what process exactly is keeping them.My best guess is some horrible interaction with a virus scanner program, but that really is a wild guess.* this is slightly inaccurate because I know of one way you can get a process to permanently leak resources post-crash, but it's not the kind of thing you can do accidentally. You have to really work at it.
Quote Originally Posted by Exceptionthrown View Post
It sounds like the process is a lot like what I go through for requirements analysis in that I sit around with the client, get their input on what they want, then create a plan/implement. A lot of times features are scratched, only partially implemented, or new ones are added (yay feature creep!) before the final product is finished and delivered. It's interesting to see how those same challenges I face with developing business applications translate to game development. It makes sense I guess although I imagine it's a lot less structured with a living product like an MMO.
Yeah, that's pretty accurate! It's tricky with games because the "client" is the player, and you have potentially millions of them and many of them don't actually know what they want. "Fun" is incredibly elusive and after decades of game development we still don't understand it.Of course, these are similar challenges to what online services face - I'll admit I don't envy the Gmail team at all.
Jump to post...