Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorH View Post
Let me hijack this thread for a second and clear up some things about the mounts - since that's been a big concern for some. I realize not all of the intent is visible on the PTS yet, between bugs and things shifting due to feedback. I'll try to be as specific as I can to clear up concerns:* You will only be able to get ONE mount with a single character in this event* Your character will have the choice from both mounts when you purchase your mount* Mounts will be Bind on Account* You can have both mounts on a single character by the end of the event, but that will require using an alt (and giving up that alt's ONE mount for the event by mailing it to your main)* BOTH mounts will be available again in the next world event - so you will have a chance in the future to get the second mount for a character without using an alt* We're revisiting the labeling and difficulty of quests in each phase that give out the doubloon - but they will not be brought down to solo difficulty (we're shooting for group 2-3)As Kerilar pointed out, this is a big shift in the paradigm for mount acquisition in events. What we saw in the past was that a majority of people would spend their first sessions with the event doing what ever grind was required to get the mount - ignoring the rest of the content and leading to a lot of 'grind fatigue' and 'useless event' feedback. This grind mentality also had a secondary effect, in that, as a majority of players disengaged from the world event in early phases - it often made it harder for late comers to find help in the grind/questing of the event - since they missed the wave (also creating negative feedback).When we sat down to discuss how to remove that fatigue we decided on this experiment to spread peoples' play times out over the course of the event - with so much content, why burn out on day 1? The goal being that people take part in the event more often, with less investment time per session - getting all of the fun of the content, without the worry of missing their rewards at the end. (you may notice other subtle stuff we've introduced over time to reduce the stress of 'coming up short' - dates on the UI, consistent payouts per phase, etc...)As with any requirement for gaining something, there's going to be people who don't enjoy that type of content - be it grind, questing, pvp, raiding, RNG, etc... For this event, we went with something we think most people are comfortable with doing - quests. Right now though, the difficulty of those quests may be over-estimated by the labels - we're looking at it. Our goal is closer to 2-3 man groups, factoring in for a mass of players all trying to do the same quest that week, should make it easier to find someone to help (though we've been seeing some people solo them with little problem). But, ultimately we think the effort required for this mount should be lower than any previous event - there's no RNG, there's no grinding - it's just 6 quests (do 5) spread out over time.Hope this clears up our view on the topic, but I'll end with my usual disclaimer about world events: nothing is in stone, we're constantly looking at what worked and what didn't - and finding new ways to evolve the process so we don't end up with the same designs every event. Each event is constantly reevaluated as the game grows to make sure we’re giving the best fit for the current state of game every time.Keep the feedback coming!
Jump to post...