Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
Some feedback on some of the suggestions. I can't speak to all of them because it really depends on your ISP/connection/OS and a bunch of other variables. However, I think I can help out a bit sorting out signal from noise.5. RSS - Receive-side Scaling - This *may* impact frame rate a bit. Given the relatively low amount of traffic a single client receives, I would be surprised if it had any impact. To put this in perspective, our servers that handle hundreds clients in addition to a very large amount of internal traffic only see a difference here under heavy load. I would suggest leaving this setting to the default and/or as configured by the manufacturer.6. TCP Chimney Offload - Same as above. May impact frame rate by a small amount, but a single client probably doesn't process enough traffic for it to matter.7. Direct Cache Access (DCA) - Same as above. May impact frame rate by a small amount, but a single client probably doesn't process enough traffic for it to matter.8. Disable Nagle's algorithm - Rift already turns this off at the connection level. I would not recommend turning this off globally as it would have no impact on Rift and may negatively impact other applications.Also of note is there is a configuration setting to globally disable Delayed Ack (edit: which bogust linked to.) Unfortunately, Windows currently doesn't have a way to disable that on a per-connection basis. However, when I played with that setting I saw little to no effect on ping times. I would not recommend disabling Delayed Ack globally as it may negatively impact other applications and slow down downloading large files and/or patching.
Jump to post...