Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
Hi everyone! I wanted to lift the curtain a bit on the patch note process for PTS when it comes to major game updates (the 1.2s and 1.3s of Rift), and what goes on with the PTS in general. We use our PTS for a wide variety of things - upcoming patch testbed for players, internal and external Dungeon, Warfront, and Raid testing, prototype testing for new features, events, sometimes even demos and shows. Much of the time the content in PTS patches is heavily work-in-progress data, incomplete or intended for testing and tweaking. Sometimes the content is only accessible via dev commands! All of it is highly subject to change before it ever makes it to live Rift shards. Some won't even make it there. Internally, we have various target dates to get us 'on the runway' for a major game patch (a 1.2, for example). Things can and do change after those points but they're the tipping point for when PTS builds go from 'playground testing' to preparation for release. That's the time when PTS updates start being labeled as "1.X PTS Builds" until they go live, and when they start having patch notes to summarize the changes intended for live shards. One of those runway dates is coming this week. Along with it, the first round of patch notes for 1.3! I've actually been working on those for the last several days (there are a LOT of changes that have to be sifted through for these updates, including the above-mentioned cases where things were tweaked multiple times!) in preparation for the build making it onto PTS. As an added challenge, most of the team members who would typically review the notes content are currently working at E3, so there may be some delay this week as it's pretty rough reading my gigantic emails on a phone while standing on a show floor. So that's where we're at! The notes are coming up, intending to get them posted either late this week or early next. I'm also going to be putting a note up on the PTS Patcher and this forum during the periods between major updates to let people know whether things are heavily WIP, or approaching a 1.X build, which might help better explain "y u no patch note” for a given download. Thanks!
Jump to post...