Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
We discussed this somewhat in a Podcast last month...but to be honest I don't think that Casual and Hardcore are mutually exclusive at all. To me to be "hardcore" means making the most use of your time (whether it's 1 hour or 8 hours) to challenge and advance your character. I think it has more to do with that mindset of wanting to always improve, learn, refine, and one-up yourself (and sometimes your friends/foes) than it has to do with how much time you commit to playing. I play when I can and in previous games have committed a heavy percentage of my free time to playing them, but like many of you life changes. I have commitments now to work, friends, and family that come before recreation and even there I will often check out new games, new hobbies, and mix it up. So I still play RIFT multiple days a week, but like all things it has to be prioritized so that ultimately limits the maximum amount of time I have to dedicate to playing (especially when I'm working late ;)) But when I do play - boy, do I play! Dungeons, Warfronts, Rifts, Gathering, Factions, whatever feeds my personal in-game goals I am doing it and doing it as hardcore as I can. It's because I value the time I do have to play, and enjoy putting the lash to myself to juice out as much as I can from my experiences. So if you're making the most of whatever amount of time you have to play, you're as "hardcore" as the rest of em in my book We all come from different walks of life, and that's partially makes these games so awesome - to categorize ourselves and get wrapped up in artificial titles only serves to drive a community apart, when in reality both groups can benefit from the other by sharing you knowledge and experiences both in and out of game. So whether you're a student, doctor, truck drive, disabled, stay at home mom (or dad, or son), pilot, artist, oil rig worker, professional gambler, soldier, store clerk, receptionist, salesman, CEO, or mail man - you all play RIFT, and in my book, that's pretty damn cool! And all those examples above are based on real people I know and have (or still) play with, MMO's are a pretty diverse communities, but that also makes them so unique and fun - enjoy
Jump to post...