+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Seshatar
  • 1 Post By Aranka

Thread: PC running really hot after this weeks maintenance

Default PC running really hot after this weeks maintenance

Not really sure what you did , but I have had to up the fans to max just to keep the PC from overheating since your maintenance.

I have never had this problem before on this or any other game.

very strange.

Sounds like defunct/insufficient cooling to me, a game can't overheat your PC, it can only bring your CPU/GPU usage to a maximum of 100% (RIFT usually does for CPU) which requires a well working cooling system.

All of my gaming laptops also always ran on 100% fans, they just have bad cooling and you have to live with that blower, however on a desktop I'd do the following:
    -Check if the ambient/room temperature increased in the last week, that air is used to cool so in summer fans might spin higher
    -Check if all fans are operating (also the small ones on GPU)
    -Remove dust from all fans and components carefully
    -Remove CPU cooler and reapply thermal paste, then mount CPU cooler again

Just in case you can also run for example Cinebench and Heaven benchmark to check both CPU and GPU separerately for cooling and functionality.

Good luck.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

room temperature, sun shining on your system,

dust in the fans.. the game is mostly cpu intensive.. graphics come up when you play on higher settings/check more boxes in the video settings (shadows, detail, more effects, AA)

for dust, use a blower.. there are some out there for computers and small machines (so not your hairdryer... ) When careful, you can also use a flat brush to remove the dust.

Check your cpu, the block on it can contain dust that's not visible rightaway.
    remove the cpu cooler, clean both cpu and the cooler.. take a tissue with some alcohol.. that should usually do the trick. apply some silver/cooling past and re-assemble.

check the fans of your graphics card and your psu as well.. use the blower or the brush to remove any dust.
    Check if your system fan is blowing out.. keep a tissue in front of it to see the airflow.

Make sure your hands are not static when working inside your system... just touch the outside of the system first, before touching anything inside.

make sure there is nothing blowing towards the system.. some ventilation devices spread warm air when the environment is warm.. that just feels like cooling air, because of the airflow.

and check all the cables to see if all is connected as should be.

GL
    Last edited by Aranka; 08-04-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks for all the help I checked everything, and did not find anything wrong. But then I remembered that I got the surf board mount about the same time as the pc started overheating. When I do not use it pc stays cool, when I use it the temp on it goes sky high. Guess the graphics from the board is more than my pc can handle.

for that, you may want to check your video settings..

using the surf board may ask more from your gpu on specific things.. like shadows

just uncheck boxes or lower some settings to test what best suits the use of your surfboard

thank you so much I changed a lot of settings and now my surfboard is doing great

Telaran

What I used to do to my air fans on a desktop PC is remove the fan, wash the heatsink with water and soap to get all the dust out of the fins, use a hair dryer to dry it. Then I used a damp cloth to clean the fan. I don't believe in dust blowers >:]. As a matter of fact I do the same with my keyboard and mice. I take them apart and wash the non electronic parts.

I have a NZXT Kraken X62 and when it collects dust I plan to remove the fans and wash the radiator.
    Last edited by Kuick; 08-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread