+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slipmat

Thread: Cannot install game

Soulwalker

Default Cannot install game

I used to play Rift quite a bit, but reached a point where I decided to move on and deleted it from my computer. Time has passed and I wish to play Rift again, only now I cannot seem to install the game onto my computer. It starts to load, then at some point it just stops, everything I had installed is lost and I have to start all over. I try and try and it always cuts out during the installation and never completes. I have tried to look for any old Rift files that may be corrupt, I do registry cleaning, defrag the computer, I do not know what else to try. I go to the site to get what I hope is an up to date copy to try to install, all my Windows Updates are current, I am lost. I am running windows 10 and since I used to plat rift on the same machine I am curious as to why I can no longer install the game. If anyone can help, please leave a short message. Thank you and I hope I can get to the bottom of this soon.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Rift now only runs through a seperate launcher Glyph, you didn't mention if you had downloaded and installed Glyph? just in case you didn't, here's the link:

http://download.dyn.triongames.com/GlyphInstall-0-1.exe

Glyph will usually install Rift to this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Glyph\Games\RIFT\Live

If you have an older version of Rift still installed you can try and point Glyph to it, just in case you wanted to avoid a nearly 25GB download but if you have the Net speed i'd recommend a clean install through Glyph, let's see how these steps help and we can go from here in case it's Anti-virus/Firewall issues.
    Last edited by Slipmat; 03-30-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Soulwalker

I did install glyph, but still a no go.

Soulwalker

I think it may be an anti-virus/firewall issue. I run McAfee and that is pretty twitchy. I may try by switching it off and see what happens. Be back to let you know what happened.

Soulwalker

I closed up McAfee and again tried to install Rift through the Glyph Portal. It appeared to work, I got to my character selection screen, then I had to leave it there. When I came back later, there was an error message saying "Direct3D Initialization Error". I do not know if that was caused by the server timing out because I had to leave the game at one point during installation, but I deleted the game again, through the Glyph portal and I am trying to reinstall it again. I do not know what a Direct3d initialization error means.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Rift is an old engine and uses Microsoft's DirectX version 9.0c, DirectX is just the name given to a collection of APIs needed to run tasks, even though we're up to DirectX 12 now, Rift wouldn't run on that and Windows 10 doesn't usually have the files needed.

This should help, install DirectX 9.0c and see how that works.

Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

+ Reply to Thread